Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saturn Sky Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 03:17 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Once again you're correct.

While stuffing a 5.7 litre V8 in Sky's engine bay may sound awkward, I have the confidence to say that given correct engineering, this small car is definitely capable of mustering higher hp/torque output from a larger six cyclinder engine, as BMW's roadster stated in the previous example.

I was hoping that GM could work on the so-called baby Northstar that's good for about 3 litre/250hp or so and use it on smaller applications such as Sky. Hopefully it'll happen some day.

For some reason, the idea of further exploring the Lotus Esprit's evolution from a 2.2 litre I-4 to 3.5 twin turbo V8 kept coming up in my head.

Jon

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 4.4 L is a smaller and lighter engine then the 5.7L LS2. You are talking about 270 c.i vs. 350. And even then....as you yourself state....it was " stuffed " into the Z3 rather then being designed for it in the first place.
It reminds me of some of the compact cars I grew up with that had overstuffed engines that they were never designed for, like the Dodge Dart 383, Chevy Nova SS396, and the Mustang 428-429's. They were terribly front-heavy, handled like boats, wore out tires, brakes, and suspensions, and were almost impossible to work on.
They were good for nothing else but wasting gas and laying twin rubber strips down the road in a straight line.
Old 02-22-05, 04:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Once again you're correct.

While stuffing a 5.7 litre V8 in Sky's engine bay may sound awkward, I have the confidence to say that given correct engineering, this small car is definitely capable of mustering higher hp/torque output from a larger six cyclinder engine, as BMW's roadster stated in the previous example.

I was hoping that GM could work on the so-called baby Northstar that's good for about 3 litre/250hp or so and use it on smaller applications such as Sky. Hopefully it'll happen some day.

For some reason, the idea of further exploring the Lotus Esprit's evolution from a 2.2 litre I-4 to 3.5 twin turbo V8 kept coming up in my head.

Jon
Well...if there is enough demand for more power in this car, the engineers might go to work.
Saturn supposedly already has plans for a Red Line version of this...just don't bet on seeing an LS2. My guess...as I stated before...is a Turbo 4 with 230-240 HP.
Old 02-22-05, 04:43 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought I'd see the day when I do a double take at a Saturn Style wise this is a very sharp looking car. I actually like this cars style better than a Lotus Elise. I do prefer a hard top though so hopefully they will make one. I can't say if I would buy one right now though but looks wise it is great.
Old 03-15-05, 02:13 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
You DO realize this car is small and light, right?

I have a feeling the Miata might look weak compared to this thing, especially if Saturn introduces a RedLine version for around $25K.
Let's hope they don't toss on a tacky chicken-wire kit for the red-line as they've done with the Ion and Vue. Instead, I think they ought to just add discreet badges and *maybe* a slightly more aggressive wheel/tire and suspension package.

The forthcoming Redline Sky will very likely be my 2nd/weekend car - when I can afford such a thing.

Saturn has a lot of pictures (that is the title of the thread after all) on their website at http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroo...ky.jsp?nav=710 - click "show me in the sky" and then click gallery once that page loads.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 03-15-05 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 02:27 PM
LexFather

That is hot! From my understanding, GM will postion Saturn to be an Acura competitor.

Old 03-15-05, 03:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Hot ! Interior is not bad too
Old 03-15-05, 03:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

That car is hot!!! This is something that Saturn desperately needed. I also really like that Saturn Aura sedan too. Pretty good looking cars. Its about time GM brings Opel to the US(well in the form of Saturn that is).
Old 03-15-05, 03:28 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 4.4 L is a smaller and lighter engine then the 5.7L LS2. You are talking about 270 c.i vs. 350. And even then....as you yourself state....it was " stuffed " into the Z3 rather then being designed for it in the first place.
It reminds me of some of the compact cars I grew up with that had overstuffed engines that they were never designed for, like the Dodge Dart 383, Chevy Nova SS396, and the Mustang 428-429's. They were terribly front-heavy, handled like boats, wore out tires, brakes, and suspensions, and were almost impossible to work on.
They were good for nothing else but wasting gas and laying twin rubber strips down the road in a straight line.

mmarshall, please don't forget the AC Cobra, later to be called the Shelby Cobra. The original AC was built with an inline 4-cyl. When Carol Shelby got ahold of it he fit a Ford 289 in nicely. Then he squeezed a 429 in there, and a side oiler at that!!! Now, I know the Sky has it's market segment but I disagree with your statement that by stuffing a large engine in the fron of a car you are guaranteed to upset handling, braking, etc. You probably will, but it's not guaranteed if other factors are compensated for as well.