Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saturn Sky Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 12:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Saturn Sky Pics

It's a Saturn but it looks quite nice to me

An affordable, two-seat, rear-drive sports car that isn't a Mazda Miata? Yes, this sharp-looking Saturn sports car features a wide stance, short overhangs and 18-inch wheels pushed to the corners. The convertible top disappears beneath a hard rear tonneau cover with raised tunnels behind the driver and passenger. Power comes from a 170-horsepower 2.4 litre 4 cylinder Ecotec engine with variable valve timing mated to a standard five-speed Aisin manual transmission with a short throw shifter. The Sky is scheduled for production in 2006.

source : Canadiandriver
Old 02-20-05, 12:31 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between this and the Pontiac Soltice, GM has a couple of nice roadsters coming out.
Old 02-20-05, 01:16 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
Between this and the Pontiac Soltice, GM has a couple of nice roadsters coming out.
They're the same car. In Europe it is an Opel.
Old 02-20-05, 01:39 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a lot nicer than the Miata. I was never a fan of the miata but I would drive this
Old 02-20-05, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The nicest thing about this car (as I have posted on other threads) is that unlike the Solstice, which you KNOW is going to have price gouging, Saturn dealers will not be allowed (by company policy) to charge over list....or to discount. Saturn does not allow that from their dealers...they can lose their franchise if they do. Saturns MUST be sold at list price, nothing else. Of course, Saturn dealers CAN add factory accessories and charge for them, but my experience at Saturn shops is that usually this isn't done.

One question, Sexy...........out of curiosity, does this car have the plastic body side panels?.....None of the write-ups I've seen on this car mention that. Saturn is getting away from that ( Bummer ! ) on its newest models. We didn't get to see it at the D.C. show...Saturn saved it for Detroit.
Old 02-20-05, 04:19 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking car, but only 170HP motor is available
Old 02-20-05, 04:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

You know the world is coming to an end when people who drive Lexus's are talking about "Man, that new SATURN sure is nice ." I really like it also. I hear its suppose to be more expensive than the Solstice. I also really like that new Saturn Sedan, but what I am still trying to figure out is how they are moving the Saturn upmarket up to the level of Saab. Oh well. I guess it will probably work considering that most dont even know that Saab is owned by GM.
Old 02-20-05, 06:18 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Great looking car from Saturn!

That hood certainly looks awfully long for a mere 170hp engine.

I'd be happy to spend another $5k as an option if Saturn's willing to drop in the LS2 (I'll also setting for a detuned version) in Sky's engine bay.

Jon
Old 02-20-05, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Great looking car from Saturn!

That hood certainly looks awfully long for a mere 170hp engine.

I'd be happy to spend another $5k as an option if Saturn's willing to drop in the LS2 (I'll also setting for a detuned version) in Sky's engine bay.

Jon
There would be several problems trying to stuff the LS2 into this car. First, the driveline and transmission were not designed for that kind of torque. Second, there isn't much room under the hood to start with....working on the engine in tight quarters and keeping it cool with the lack of air circulation would be difficult. Ford had that problem with some older Tauruses and Sables...the V6 engines ran too hot because of too-tight a fit under the hood.
The Corvette and GTO which use that engine were specially designed for it...the Australian Holden Monaro, which the GTO is based on, has an Australian V8 option.
Third, that heavy engine would overburden the Sky's front end and cause clumsy handling, poor weight distribution (anathema in a sports car), unequal fore-aft braking, and noted understeer unless you used tires and suspension that were unacceptably harsh.
Fourth, this car was not meant to compete with Corvettes and Vipers...it was meant to fit exactly where it does....in between the Miata and the S2000, power and price-wise.
Old 02-20-05, 06:47 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gs400998
Great looking car, but only 170HP motor is available
You DO realize this car is small and light, right?

I have a feeling the Miata might look weak compared to this thing, especially if Saturn introduces a RedLine version for around $25K.
Old 02-20-05, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
You DO realize this car is small and light, right?

I have a feeling the Miata might look weak compared to this thing, especially if Saturn introduces a RedLine version for around $25K.
A Red Line version, I understand, is in the works, but Saturn has not released much data on it or announced a price.
I would not bet on the Red Line having an LS2 V8, though...see my earlier post. My guess is it will be a Turbo four with around 230-240 HP.

I agree with your statement abut this car being small and light.....170 HP IMO is plenty. This car should easily get out of its own way.
Old 02-20-05, 07:15 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You're correct. However.....

Something can be done to address this problem if Saturn is really serious about having a performance car in its stable.

The BMW Z3 is a very good example. When it was first introduced, it came out with a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder engine. Eventually, there was the 321hp 3.2 litre M Roadster/Coupe version to top off the line up.

German tuner Hartge has also managed to stuff a BMW 4.4 litre V8 in a Z3 body as well.

I believe this car, if beefed up, would be a good competitor with the likes of BMW M Roadster, Porsche Boxter, S2000, 350Z convertible, etc.

Jon

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There would be several problems trying to stuff the LS2 into this car. First, the driveline and transmission were not designed for that kind of torque. Second, there isn't much room under the hood to start with....working on the engine in tight quarters and keeping it cool with the lack of air circulation would be difficult. Ford had that problem with some older Tauruses and Sables...the V6 engines ran too hot because of too-tight a fit under the hood.
The Corvette and GTO which use that engine were specially designed for it...the Australian Holden Monaro, which the GTO is based on, has an Australian V8 option.
Third, that heavy engine would overburden the Sky's front end and cause clumsy handling, poor weight distribution (anathema in a sports car), unequal fore-aft braking, and noted understeer unless you used tires and suspension that were unacceptably harsh.
Fourth, this car was not meant to compete with Corvettes and Vipers...it was meant to fit exactly where it does....in between the Miata and the S2000, power and price-wise.
Old 02-20-05, 09:20 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the car is great looking. Whether it'll go the way of Honda Del Sol (Car lot in the sky) or stay like Miata, only time will tell.
I know the Solstice is not going to be around when the poor owner's loan/lease is up!
Old 02-21-05, 01:27 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

This is one of the first Saturns I like.... good for them for improving designs. 170hp in a small car like this probably won't make it a speed demon, but it'll have enough zip to make it fun to drive I'm guessing. A V8 would be out of the question.... but GM could turbo charge this I-4 and get another 30 or 40hp safely.
Old 02-21-05, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
German tuner Hartge has also managed to stuff a BMW 4.4 litre V8 in a Z3 body as well.

IJon
The 4.4 L is a smaller and lighter engine then the 5.7L LS2. You are talking about 270 c.i vs. 350. And even then....as you yourself state....it was " stuffed " into the Z3 rather then being designed for it in the first place.
It reminds me of some of the compact cars I grew up with that had overstuffed engines that they were never designed for, like the Dodge Dart 383, Chevy Nova SS396, and the Mustang 428-429's. They were terribly front-heavy, handled like boats, wore out tires, brakes, and suspensions, and were almost impossible to work on.
They were good for nothing else but wasting gas and laying twin rubber strips down the road in a straight line.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-05 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Saturn Sky Pics