Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TWIN TURBO vs SINGLE TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 08:47 AM
Paul2x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few things here:::

Single turbo is all about power, thats why all the big-HP supras are single. Single will always spool up slower than 2 smaller turboes, but will have much more potential for power
Not exactly,.. Single turbo are all about simplicity, not nessarly power, You can get a mid sized single to spool just as fast as smaller twins..(remember you have twice the exhuast energy going to a single)
The main reason all the supra guys go with big single's is $$$, they are the best value.
Anyone that is serious about making some big power go's BIG TWINS

I' ve had them both....twin's, single, etc....The reason I went single is one $$$ but two, I love the look of a single turbo set-up, In a GTR espically it's pretty tight, and a big single sitting there really simplifies, and clean's up the engine bay. I alos prefer the sound out a big single......
so power really isn't the main factor, more so application and taste.
Old 02-22-05, 08:49 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, i agree. if you want sheer power, it's always single turbo. easier to tune, setup, and you snap on a huge turbo and you get massive power.

but the bigger the turbo the more the lag, and that's the problem. also the drivability of the car becomes a problem coz' it's either no turbo or when the turbo kicks in, it's like stupid power.

that's why (i beleive) most cars (supra tt, skyline gtr, 300z tt, etc...) they have tt setup. one big and one small turbo. so the car drives better and smoother... but if you go to supraforums or so and take a look at the owners who have supra tt, if they wanna have good power, just take out the tt and snap on a big one
Err...we have 2 identical-sized turbos in our cars... It's just that one spools at 2800rpm then at 4000rpm, both kick in. Not one is bigger than the other...
Old 02-22-05, 08:51 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
Actually that is wrong......if you look at the Supra TT for example, alot of guys do a mod to the stock twins to make them operate like true twins rather than sequential.......its just a play on words.
He is right. Sequential = one after the other, true twins = both turn on at the same time (TTC mod)
Old 02-23-05, 10:23 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
You can't make an absolute like "twins are always better" or "singles are always better". You have to look at the application as well. On something like a Vette or Viper you can run twins that are as large as a single on a Supra. Obviously no one will be running twin 88s on a Supra. If I were to have a V configured engine I'd prefer twins (technically biturbos) just for a more even spool.

James

Does this mean that Twin Turbos and BiTurbos are one in the same? Or are there some small differences? Or, is it just a "other side of the pond" thing. Like how Brits call French Fries, Chips.