Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TWIN TURBO vs SINGLE TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05 | 09:49 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Default TWIN TURBO vs SINGLE TURBO

Im just curious as to which is a better setup and why ?
Old 02-21-05 | 09:55 AM
Paul2x
Pole Position

all depends on what you want to do, how much power you want to make, what car....etc...

pretty general question, can't say one's better. It really depends on the application.

what are you plan's?
Old 02-21-05 | 10:05 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

well no real plans right now

but it just seems like guys that have the TT setup so single

just curious as to why ?
Old 02-21-05 | 10:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

The turbocharger is one of the more expensive parts, so a Single setup will allways be cheaper.
Old 02-21-05 | 10:39 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

a single larger aftermarket turbo is more useful for a few different reasons...

1) Less Complicated:
---The less plumbing the better, and with a single, there's half of that which you'd have with the twins.

2) Cost

3) Configuration of the motor -- an inline 6 inherently lends itself to a single turbo setup because there is one bank of exhaust headers. A V8 & a V6 both have two banks...

The 3000GT & Dodge Stealth (same thing basically) have a V6, Twin Turbo.

the 300ZX -- Twins

It's also not uncommon to see TT kits for LS1 motors, and big block/crate motors.

(IIRC the viper has a few different TT manufacturers)

4) Just a guess here...
Due to the improving technology surrounding turbochargers, I think that twins on a small 3.0 liter engine lacks efficiency. A small single can spool just as fast as the stock twins of the MKIV and develop more HP.
Old 02-21-05 | 11:51 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Single turbo is all about power, thats why all the big-HP supras are single. Single will always spool up slower than 2 smaller turboes, but will have much more potential for power
Old 02-21-05 | 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Single turbo is all about power, thats why all the big-HP supras are single. Single will always spool up slower than 2 smaller turboes, but will have much more potential for power
yup, i agree. if you want sheer power, it's always single turbo. easier to tune, setup, and you snap on a huge turbo and you get massive power.

but the bigger the turbo the more the lag, and that's the problem. also the drivability of the car becomes a problem coz' it's either no turbo or when the turbo kicks in, it's like stupid power.

that's why (i beleive) most cars (supra tt, skyline gtr, 300z tt, etc...) they have tt setup. one big and one small turbo. so the car drives better and smoother... but if you go to supraforums or so and take a look at the owners who have supra tt, if they wanna have good power, just take out the tt and snap on a big one
Old 02-21-05 | 01:45 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Is sequential turbo different from twin turbo?

correct me if i'm wrong.
-sequential= one spools first then the other spools.
-twin= both spool at the same time.

????
Old 02-21-05 | 02:01 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

correct me if i'm wrong.
Actually that is wrong......if you look at the Supra TT for example, alot of guys do a mod to the stock twins to make them operate like true twins rather than sequential.......its just a play on words.
Old 02-21-05 | 02:08 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
Actually that is wrong......if you look at the Supra TT for example, alot of guys do a mod to the stock twins to make them operate like true twins rather than sequential.......its just a play on words.
So what's the difference between sequential and true twin turbos.
What do supra guys do to make them true twin from sequential?
Old 02-21-05 | 06:07 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
Is sequential turbo different from twin turbo?

correct me if i'm wrong.
-sequential= one spools first then the other spools.
-twin= both spool at the same time.

????

You are right, the Supra operates on sequential twin turbos, meaning one turbo is always running and the other just kicks in at a certaim time. There is no such thing as an aftermarket sequential twin turbo setup, that I've heard of. I think it is best to always go single (less weight) definitely more practical. The only reason I'd ever go twins would be for show and/or bragging rights.
So, moral of this thread...go single.
Old 02-21-05 | 08:19 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

TT setup is best for cruising, single turbo is best laying miles of rubber
Old 02-21-05 | 09:25 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
So what's the difference between sequential and true twin turbos.
What do supra guys do to make them true twin from sequential?
Yeah I would like to know also.

From reading what's been put up so far my understanding is that Single Turboes are bigger and are able to make more boost. The twins are smaller and spool faster making less boost because of size. Also twins have more piping and are more complicated. Also I think that if there is less piping then there's less of a chance for lossing pressure produced by the turboes.
Old 02-21-05 | 11:47 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

You can't make an absolute like "twins are always better" or "singles are always better". You have to look at the application as well. On something like a Vette or Viper you can run twins that are as large as a single on a Supra. Obviously no one will be running twin 88s on a Supra. If I were to have a V configured engine I'd prefer twins (technically biturbos) just for a more even spool.

James
Old 02-22-05 | 08:19 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

In a sequential setup one turbo feeds the second turbo. The first turbo is ussually smaller and spools at a lower rpm as you get to the higher rpms the second larger turbo starts spooling.

I think when people talk about aftermarket twins setups most of the time they mean one for the left cylinders and one for the right bank of cylinders.

Quick Reply: TWIN TURBO vs SINGLE TURBO