Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by VSsc400
1. i like it.
2. I'd never own it at 70k's
3. I'd not own it at 50k's
4. I'd think about it at 40k's
5. I'd buy the new GS at 40k's
Note that the RS4 has Quattro AWD at 70K. You can get a GS AWD in the high 40's, although admittedly it will not have the RS4's engine.
Old 03-04-05, 05:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Ummmmm...sooooooooo...Audi NA annouced the price and it's $70K.

First, the $90K Phaeton. Now, a $70K A4. VW/Audi deserves to be burned to the ground.
Wow 70k That is almost triple the price of a base A4. That is expensive. Old E55/M5 territory.
I want to read the reviews, b/c some mags like the current S4 better than the M3.

BMW has stated they WILL NOT lose the HP war . The current I-6 M3 gets 333hp. They will get a V-8 in the next model. A 100hp bump would be huge.

Old 03-04-05, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow 70k That is almost triple the price of a base A4. That is expensive. Old E55/M5 territory.
I want to read the reviews, b/c some mags like the current S4 better than the M3.

I agree, Mike....I also have to question whether this car is worth what it costs. However, several recent sport-sedan comparos I've read picked the S4 over the M3....something that would have been once unheard of. How the new You-Know-Who-designed M3 stacks up against the S4, of course, remains to be seen. And there are, of course, some differences between S4's and RS4's ....there BETTER be, for the price.
Old 03-04-05, 05:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, Mike....I also have to question whether this car is worth what it costs. However, several recent sport-sedan comparos I've read picked the S4 over the M3....something that would have been once unheard of. How the new You-Know-Who-designed M3 stacks up against the S4, of course, remains to be seen. And there are, of course, some differences between S4's and RS4's ....there BETTER be, for the price.
I guess that is where comes into play. B/C if you ALREADY have a special editon car and it ALREADY does well, why not concentrate on making sure the car will start (your quality), instead of adding 80 more hp and making an even more special edition.
I am not sure how much more of a "Halo" a RS can add? Who will it fight? Not the M3. We don't get the CSL here. The C55 is S4 competiton.

Don't get me wrong, it seems to be an incredible beast. But what is the purpose?

Maybe u can explain? I have no idea what it is.

Old 03-04-05, 05:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, 70k for the rs4, that's a lot of money. granted it's fast and what not, but man, it's still based on the a4....
Old 03-04-05, 06:03 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, it seems to be an incredible beast. But what is the purpose?
Maybe because they can?!

It's an example of a 4dr sport sedan taken to the extreme. The very extreme. A very small percentage of folks will like it. It adds a halo effect on the entire rest of the line (which includes helping to move more S4s). It shows the capabilities of the company vs. others.

I'm glad that there are engineers and companies out there that are willing to take a chance even if it leaves almost everybody

That said; if it really comes in at $70 large there is no way I'll be looking. $55-$60 maybe but... perhaps there is a market at the higher price. What will the RS6 cost then?!?
Old 03-04-05, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I
Maybe u can explain? I have no idea what it is.
Looks like a HP / torque war to me.....a war that you said in your post above that BMW was not going to "lose".

I agree with your last line of reasoning, though.....If I have to choose between insane amounts of HP and a starter motor that works, I'll take the starter hands-down.
Old 03-04-05, 06:16 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I agree with your last line of reasoning, though.....If I have to choose between insane amounts of HP and a starter motor that works, I'll take the starter hands-down.
Where's the passion in that statement?!?

I'm only saying that because anyone that can buy one of these has another ride and is willing to put up with some "problems". It gives the car "personality". How many old Jaguar owners fondly remember their old cars even thought they were an utter PITA to maintain?!?
Old 03-04-05, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Where's the passion in that statement?!?

I'm only saying that because anyone that can buy one of these has another ride and is willing to put up with some "problems". It gives the car "personality". How many old Jaguar owners fondly remember their old cars even thought they were an utter PITA to maintain?!?
I see what your saying. The "Just because" statement. Irrational, but cool.

As you stated, what on earth will the RS 6 be like then?

And if its about "they can" I'd really have liked to see a new S8 or RS 8. To battle the S55/S65.

Old 03-04-05, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I see what your saying. The "Just because" statement. Irrational, but cool.

As you stated, what on earth will the RS 6 be like then?

And if its about "they can" I'd really have liked to see a new S8 or RS 8. To battle the S55/S65.

Audi has already done an RS8 in Europe, but you're right......there are no plans to bring it here that I know of. I read a write-up on it, maybe 8-9 months ago.....can't remember which mag.

If you guys think 70K is outrageous for an RS4 ......trust me......you don't want to know what an RS8 will go for.
Old 03-04-05, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Audi has already done an RS8 in Europe, but you're right......there are no plans to bring it here that I know of. I read a write-up on it, maybe 8-9 months ago.....can't remember which mag.

If you guys think 70K is outrageous for an RS4 ......trust me......you don't want to know what an RS8 will go for.
THe new one? Wow, I had no ida. I remeber the old gen made 340hp, the S8. Funny I actually saw one here in Atlanta last week and gave the dude the thumbs up, he grinned. Very rare beast.

Time to go look for info for the new one

Old 03-04-05, 07:23 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

LOL, an RS8 would be the dumbest idea ever. The A8 weighs as much as a damn container ship...The only way to get any performance driving pleasure out of it would be to completely gut it, chop the wheelbase, and add a manual...oh wait...that's the RS4.
Old 03-04-05, 07:33 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

LOL, an RS8 would be the dumbest idea ever. The A8 weighs as much as a damn container ship...
May I introduce you to the AMG S65 !

Edit: Just to point out what a 6.0-liter, 604-hp, 738-lb-ft twin-turbo V-12 can do to move a container ship. Found a US link

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 03-04-05 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-04-05, 08:06 PM
LexFather

BMW makes a 760i short wheelbase but sadly, it only weighs 40lbs less than the Li. But it comes with factory 20s and a black out kit. Looks sinister and the reviews have been positive.

Old S8

The B12 6.0 E-KAT is the fastest Alpina ever to be based on the BMW 7-series and also features the largest and most powerful engine in Alpina history. In order to acheive the healthy 430hp (DIN), the 6.0L engine is fitted with light Mahle aluminum pistons, reworked camshafts, intakes and exhaust, BOSCH Motronic M5.2.1 fuel injection and various other features. Torque also rises to 600 Nm, 500 of which are available at only 1700 rpm. The E-KAT part of the nomenclature represents the exhaust systems with steel catalyst that greatly lowers emissions without having a large impact on peformance. All this power is sent to the wheels (wrapped in 245/40ZR20 tires up front and 275/35ZR20 out back) through the only available gearbox, a 5-speed Switch-Tronic unit developed in conjunction with ZF.If you're looking for the perfect Autobahn cruiser, and a car that also has a both firm and supple suspension to provide an entertaining drive, this is the car to get.
[IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by LexFather; 03-04-05 at 08:13 PM.

Old 03-04-05, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

LOL, an RS8 would be the dumbest idea ever. The A8 weighs as much as a damn container ship...The only way to get any performance driving pleasure out of it would be to completely gut it, chop the wheelbase, and add a manual...oh wait...that's the RS4.
dumb idea? i believe they did have s8 before right?

plus, how can you explain the s65, s55, and s600 then? no lexus can come close to as fast

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi RS4