Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2005 Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 03:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default 2005 Audi RS4

New dimensions in driving dynamics combined with innovative ideas and concepts – and, in addition, exciting lines and a level of equipment living up to even the highest luxury performance standards: The new Audi RS 4 combines the latest high-performance motoring qualities offered by quattro GmbH in a thoroughbred sports saloon with supreme everyday driving qualities in the premium segment. Indeed, the new RS 4 is the top-of-the-range model in the A4 series, a development all-new from the ground up.

Numerous technical achievements – many of which hail from motorsport – give the new Audi RS 4 its unique class and character. These features include the high engine speed concept now being introduced for the first time in a production Audi, innovative FSI technology, as well as the latest generation of quattro drive with asymmetric/dynamic distribution of torque. Developing a maximum output of 420 bhp, the V8 revs up to a speed of 8250 rpm. With its displacement of 4163 cc, this outstanding engine exceeds the magical barrier of 100 bhp per litre truly outstanding in a production saloon. Maximum torque of 430 Nm comes at 5500 rpm in this very compact engine, with 90 per cent of the engine’s torque consistently available between 2250 and 7600 rpm. The result is excellent muscle and pulling force at all times, enabling the driver whenever he – or she – wishes to drive in truly relaxed style without frequent gear changes.

Audi has chosen its trendsetting and groundbreaking FSI technology for the RS 4 saloon, direct gasoline injection ensuring even more effective combustion of the fuel/air mixture and, as a result, an even better power yield. This is matched by the highly responsive development of power, the RS 4 accelerating to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds and reaching 200 km/h in 16.6 seconds. Top speed is cut off electron-ically at 250 km/h.

Audi’s FSI technology has already proven its qualities impressively in Audi’s four-time Le Mans winner, the Audi R8.

A further essential point in the brief given to Audi’s development engineers was to optimise the car’s power-to-weight ratio, avoiding every superfluous gram on the Audi RS 4. Accordingly, virtually every component was checked and cross-checked for minimum weight. The front wheel arches and the engine compartment lid are therefore made of aluminium, just like most components on the chassis and suspension. The specially designed RS bucket seats, in turn, are not only very light, but also offer extremely good body support in every situation.

The result is a power-to-weight ratio of just 3.93 kilos per bhp – a figure truly reminiscent of a thoroughbred sports car, which would not even have been conceiv-able just a few years ago in a midrange saloon.

New generation of quattro driveDesign

The RS 4 features racing technology in civilian clothes. While many of its features look similar to the new Audi A4, the RS 4 is far more than just a “fast” derivative of Audi’s highly successful midrange saloon. Quite simply because the car is an almost entirely brand-new development tailored to the highest performance requirements.

The single-frame radiator grille, the rear section with the distinctly horizontal orientation of the car’s lines, and the side surfaces with the shoulder line plastically filling in the car’s contours, all prove that the RS 4 is a member of the A4 family. However, the radiator grille in diamond look, the additional air intake scoops in the front section, as well as the wheels developed specifically for the RS 4, clearly set the car aside from a “normal” Audi A4.

The newly designed rear air dam encompassing two extra-large tailpipes as well as the discreet but highly effective spoiler integrated in the luggage compartment lid and the rear side panels all bear clear testimony to the saloon’s dynamic driving potential also in terms of their looks. Compared with the Audi A4, the entire body of the car has been lowered by 30 millimetres. And at the same time the development engineers at quattro GmbH have widened the car’s track both front and rear. At the end of the day, however, all these modifications to the body of the car are significant not only in terms of design, but also above all in terms of function.

Inside, the RS 4 combines the straightforward function of a sports car with the luxurious ambience so typical of all Audi models. The dominating materials are leather, aluminium, and carbon. But at the same time the RS 4 comes with all the additional qualities so typical of a genuine sports car.

This superiority becomes clear immediately when you take your seats in the car: The RS bucket seats with their high side sections provide excellent support. A further feature of these bucket seats is the control button on each seat for inflating the side support elements adjusting perfectly to the driver’s anatomy. The sports steering wheel tapering down at the bottom and the engine starter button on the centre console, in turn, are also clearly reminiscent of motorsport, just like the aluminium pedals.

You start the engine of the Audi RS 4 by pressing the starter button housed conveniently in the centre console right next to the driver. Pressing the sports button in the steering wheel, in turn, the driver is able to modify the gas pedal control map, giving the engine even sharper and more direct response.

Features and equipment

Driving the Audi RS 4 means driving a sports car without making any concessions. Right from the start, therefore, the RS 4 comes with virtually all the features already boasted by the Audi A4. Apart from a wide range of advanced safety components, this also means high-comfort automatic air conditioning, central locking with remote control, and electric window lifts at the front. Further features of the RS 4 include the acoustic parking system at the front and rear, the Concert radio system, as well as sports suspension with variable damper control (DRC). Furthermore, the purchaser of an Audi RS 4 can also opt for a particularly high standard of comfort amenities such as Audi’s navigation system plus or dynamic adaptive light headlights literally guiding the driver round bends in the road.

source HERE with wallpaper downloads

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-22-05 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-21-05, 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sigh, why the front...
Old 02-21-05, 03:57 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
sigh, why the front...
What's with the German Auto styling dept? BMW ruined the back end and Audi ruined the front end.
The Audi front looks a lot like the Chrysler 300
Old 02-21-05, 04:20 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

What a stupid, fat pig of a car. The A4 body with 400+HP and only 4.8s to 62MPH? Bah.

The M3 ownz this.

A further essential point in the brief given to Audi’s development engineers was to optimise the car’s power-to-weight ratio, avoiding every superfluous gram on the Audi RS 4. Accordingly, virtually every component was checked and cross-checked for minimum weight. The front wheel arches and the engine compartment lid are therefore made of aluminium, just like most components on the chassis and suspension. The specially designed RS bucket seats, in turn, are not only very light, but also offer extremely good body support in every situation.

The result is a power-to-weight ratio of just 3.93 kilos per bhp – a figure truly reminiscent of a thoroughbred sports car, which would not even have been conceiv-able just a few years ago in a midrange saloon.

^^^ = WTF = makes me feel sad for the people in PR who believed the lying hack engineers when they said this

Last edited by SecPole14; 02-21-05 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

BEAUTIFUL paint color...electric blue . Interior a little too much black and brushed metal for my tastes.......I'd like to see a little lighter color inside and some wood or some more carbon fiber ( I like both ).....but it is STILL nicely done.
Henry....you're right......that grille has GOT to go. Look for aftermarket grille replacements to start popping up for those who can't stomach the stock Linda Lovelace look.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-05 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 06:02 PM
e43Guy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
What a stupid, fat pig of a car. The A4 body with 400+HP and only 4.8s to 62MPH? Bah.
0-62 in 4.8 wil probably end up as 0-60 in 4.6 or 4.5, than an E55 territory and it is actually faster than E55 0-200. SO why is it a stupid, fat pig of a car?
Old 02-21-05, 06:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rheiy
What's with the German Auto styling dept? BMW ruined the back end and Audi ruined the front end.
The Audi front looks a lot like the Chrysler 300
i have no clue man, guess they both hate mb so much that they have to do something completely different
Old 02-21-05, 06:45 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e43Guy
0-62 in 4.8 wil probably end up as 0-60 in 4.6 or 4.5, than an E55 territory and it is actually faster than E55 0-200. SO why is it a stupid, fat pig of a car?
You have seen an A4 in person before, haven't you? And if you have, you should probably ask why 400HP+ doesn't make it faster.

This car is irrelevant. Except for its price advantage, it can't out-muscle AMG and it can't out-handle M. Audi is, again, beginning to answer questions nobody is asking.
Old 02-21-05, 06:59 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i like the front. it gives the car character. overall, i think it's a sexy car.
Old 02-21-05, 07:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

IMHO, i like it. i really do. i think the huge grill that nobody likes is growing on me. the car is just beautiful!
Old 02-21-05, 07:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

That car is hot to death. The new Audi grills have definitely grown on me. I dont mind it at all. That bright blue is also quite eye catchy. The interior is absolutely beautiful. Audi always amazes me with their interiors. The black chrome and carbon fiber together looks stunning. I really love the metal and non round steering wheel. Very race car like. 4.8sec seems quite nice to me for 420hp. Its got AWD something an E55 doesnt have or an M3. Audis have always been pretty heavy cars, I still dont mind the performance though. Its about on par with the RS6.
Old 02-21-05, 08:13 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, what does the M3 do 0-60.... 4.6 or 4.7? I'm sure this will be right around there give or take a 1/10 of a second.... and after 3rd gear the RS4 will easily take the M3... seriously 333 vs 420hp (plus two more cylinders and .1more L) is no comparison. This thing will have much better midrange as well. The C55 AMG has no better low end acceleration than the C32 due to added weight... but even with the 369hp or so, i don't see it being faster in the 0-200 than the RS4. The RS4 is also going to have tenacious grip in the corners. It may not have the steering feedback or driving dynamics the M3 does, but i do think it would easily keep up with it in the corners. All I'm trying to say is try to look past ur biases and give props where due... there's more to life than 0-60. And as much as I love AMG... exactly who is asking the questions they are answering.... while i think its fabulous, i doubt that many people were begging mercedes for years and years to build an S-class sedan with 600+ hp all for a bentley-challenging $180k price tag.
Old 02-21-05, 10:47 PM
e43Guy
Pole Position

You have seen an A4 in person before, haven't you? And if you have, you should probably ask why 400HP+ doesn't make it faster.
Im sorry im not really following you. Are you saing that if car looks ugly than it's slow?
I personally think that 4.8 time 0-62 is a pretty good time for a car in this segment. It's 0-200 is very nice. Consider this. New E60 M5 does 0-200 in 14+ sec, its a 500hp V10 with 7speed SMG that helps to keep engine at a perfect RPM to get maximum output and very nice high speed acceleration. RS4 is a 4wd and 16+ is a great time for this car.

This car is irrelevant. Except for its price advantage, it can't out-muscle AMG and it can't out-handle M. Audi is, again, beginning to answer questions nobody is asking.
Well actually it just did. It's more powerful and faster than C55 and i bet handles just as good as M3 does ( im not talking about CSL becasue it's a different league ). Somebody posted long time ago a video when S4 (~350hp) outran an M3 on a track due to it's 4wd advantage.
Old 02-21-05, 10:52 PM
e43Guy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Ok, what does the M3 do 0-60.... 4.6 or 4.7? I'm sure this will be right around there give or take a 1/10 of a second.... and after 3rd gear the RS4 will easily take the M3... seriously 333 vs 420hp (plus two more cylinders and .1more L) is no comparison. This thing will have much better midrange as well. The C55 AMG has no better low end acceleration than the C32 due to added weight... but even with the 369hp or so, i don't see it being faster in the 0-200 than the RS4. The RS4 is also going to have tenacious grip in the corners. It may not have the steering feedback or driving dynamics the M3 does, but i do think it would easily keep up with it in the corners. All I'm trying to say is try to look past ur biases and give props where due... there's more to life than 0-60. And as much as I love AMG... exactly who is asking the questions they are answering.... while i think its fabulous, i doubt that many people were begging mercedes for years and years to build an S-class sedan with 600+ hp all for a bentley-challenging $180k price tag.
I totally agree with you. This RS4 is a kick-*ss car.

BTW C55 is actually faster than C32 because it has more low end torque. C55 engine weights just 10lb's more than C32 engine.
Old 02-21-05, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by e43Guy
I totally agree with you. This RS4 is a kick-*ss car.

BTW C55 is actually faster than C32 because it has more low end torque. C55 engine weights just 10lb's more than C32 engine.
i thought on paper the two cars are pretty much just as fast, coz' the 32 is supercharged and the 55 is v8

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi RS4