Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07 | 06:02 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

still heavily camoflauged
i wonder when this will come out
i really cant wait to see the production version
Old 01-07-08 | 06:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Confirmed : Porsche Panamera to come with hybrid flavor

Although Porsche has yet to fully reveal its "four-door GT" to the public, it's officially announced that the Panamera will have the option to come equipped with the same gas-electric hybrid powertrain that will find it's way into the Cayenne by the end of the decade.

The parallel hybrid setup will include a battery pack fitted below the luggage compartment, along with an additional clutch and electric motor mated between the engine and transmission. Fuel consumption is expected to be reduced by around 30-percent, while still providing the same motivation you'd expect from a Porsche.

Stuttgart plans to reveal the Panamera to the world in 2009, initially with traditional gasoline-powered mills, with the hybrid to go on sale later
via autoblog
Old 01-07-08 | 06:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Press Release

PORSCHE® RELEASES MORE DETAILS ON PANAMERA™

--Ground breaking four-door GT to be offered with Porsche hybrid system--

ATLANTA, January 7th, 2008 – Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, announced today that it is developing a hybrid drive version of its highly anticipated four-door Gran Turismo. The Panamera Hybrid will utilize the same gas-electric drive concept as the Cayenne Hybrid that comes to market at the end of the decade and will claim a remarkable 30% reduction of fuel consumption.

The full parallel hybrid system of the Panamera will be configured with the battery unit positioned below the luggage compartment, and hybrid module, comprising of an additional clutch and electric motor, will be between the engine and transmission. Depending on driving conditions, the hybrid module has the ability to disengage either the combustion engine or the electric motor, or to combine both drive systems as one joint power unit. This flexibility results in benefits such as a zero emissions driving mode, fuel savings in both city and highway driving and maximum performance when desired.

The Panamera, which represents Porsche's fourth model line, will make its world debut in 2009 and promises to redefine the Gran Turismo category by featuring a unique design package that will afford equally generous front and rear space and seating comfort for four while retaining the sporting and unmistakable driving dynamics of every Porsche. Introduced initially with traditional drivetrains, the hybrid version of the Panamera will be offered at a later date.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, GA, and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing.h.c. F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 212 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.
Old 01-07-08 | 08:17 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I want one.
Old 01-07-08 | 10:28 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
The Panamera Hybrid will utilize the same gas-electric drive concept as the Cayenne Hybrid that comes to market at the end of the decade and will claim a remarkable 30% reduction of fuel consumption.
So that's about the same degree of efficiency as Toyota's.
The full parallel hybrid system of the Panamera will be configured with the battery unit positioned below the luggage compartment, and hybrid module, comprising of an additional clutch and electric motor, will be between the engine and transmission.
Sounds like the batteries won't be eating much luggage space, by placing them under, not in front of, the luggage compartment.
Old 01-07-08 | 10:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
So that's about the same degree of efficiency as Toyota's.Sounds like the batteries won't be eating much luggage space, by placing them under, not in front of, the luggage compartment.
Yea I have always wondered why Toyota hasnt developed a flat battery pack that would rest beneath the trunk and rear passenger seat. I can recall looking at the Accord hybrid and being impressed with its amount of trunk space.
Old 01-07-08 | 11:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Larger diagram : http://bp3.blogger.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/...ANAMERAA_2.jpg
Old 01-07-08 | 11:41 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yea I have always wondered why Toyota hasnt developed a flat battery pack that would rest beneath the trunk and rear passenger seat. I can recall looking at the Accord hybrid and being impressed with its amount of trunk space.
yet, the accord hybrid becomes discontinued after only 1 generation.
Old 01-07-08 | 01:37 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

I wonder how this will work out for Porsche. Probably well I guess.

I can't wait to see this go up against the LS600hL
Old 01-07-08 | 08:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Porsche Panamera Hybrid

By Ben Pulman

07 January 2008 10:37

Porsche's new hybrids - the Panamera saloon and Cayenne off-roader - will achieve comfortably more than 30mpg, the company revealed today. Porsche's first petrol-electric car will be the Cayenne Hybrid and it will land in showrooms by the end of the decade, capable of 31.4mpg or 9L/100km.

Although Porsche's claims are annoyingly vague (is this figure an average consumption, or at a steady 56mph? They don't let on...), we'd expect the lighter and more aerodynamic four-door to be even more economical.

Anything else I should know about the Panamera?

Porsche is being quite boastful about the space its big four-door saloon will offer. The four-door will be longer than a Mercedes S-class, so Porsche claims the Panamera will offer ‘a brand-new experience of roominess’ and the two backseat occupants will have ‘surprisingly generous headroom’.

The new Panamera goes on sale in 2009, but if you want the full story on the gran turismo from Stuttgart, check out the February 2008 issue of CAR.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...namera-Hybrid/
Old 01-07-08 | 08:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

31.4 mpg Imperial?
Old 01-07-08 | 09:10 PM
LexFather

30 mpg and longer than an S-class?
Old 01-07-08 | 09:16 PM
kit cat

my first impression...
Old 01-07-08 | 10:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I am in awe of this car... it's going to do wonders for Porsche.
Old 01-07-08 | 10:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Is this a concept image or an actual press-released photo?

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)