Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 08:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really can't stand that side profile.
Old 06-13-09, 10:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

love it!!!!!
Old 07-03-09, 06:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Porsche planning hardened Panamera GTS flagship

Wednesday, July 01, 2009
Porsche is planning a diesel-engined version of its new Panamera that will use existing Volkswagen Group engines, according to highly placed sources within the company.

The firm will use a similar strategy to that applied to the diesel Cayenne, which is fitted with a 3.0-litre V6 diesel also used by Audi and Volkswagen in cars such as the A6 and Touareg.

When asked about the possibility of a Panamera diesel, a senior Porsche executive said, “There are V6 and V8 diesels within the VW Group that could be used as a basis.” That points to the same 240bhp 3.0-litre V6 from the Cayenne, or even the 322bhp 4.2-litre V8 diesel from the Audi A8.

Porsche would almost certainly tune any VW diesel for its own use, reworking the power delivery for punchier acceleration rather than long-distance cruising ability.

Porsche is also working on a range-topping high-performance version of the Panamera, which will sit above the Turbo. Again it will mimic the equivalent Cayenne, the GTS, by doing away with the Panamera Turbo’s standard air suspension and replacing it with steel springs. The car could be badged as a Turbo S or even a GTS.

The Panamera’s influence on the rest of the Porsche range will be seen much more in other future models, meanwhile.

The car’s interior, with its high centre console and switchgear arranged down either side of the gearshift, will influence the cabins of the next generation of Porsches.

Dan Stevens
Source
Old 07-03-09, 11:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I really can't stand that side profile.
It's kinda ugly, with it's fake 911/Boxster front end, etc.
Old 07-03-09, 02:39 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

only the end bothers me but front looks ok...
Old 07-03-09, 07:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Red face

Originally Posted by lims407
only the end bothers me but front looks ok...
Other than the rear end, front end and roofline, the car looks pretty good.
Old 07-03-09, 08:49 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant see pics, only caught a glimpse from a link. It looks good from where I saw it, althought I would have never thought of porsche with a sedan
Old 07-03-09, 09:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The Panamera is ugly. I hope that when I see it on the street it looks better than it does in the magazines. Its a 4 door 911.
Old 07-04-09, 10:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The Panamera is ugly. I hope that when I see it on the street it looks better than it does in the magazines. Its a 4 door 911.
I agree.

But to clarify about the 911 shape, it's dictated by a classic rear engined design, so of course it has the sloping hood/bug eye lights/low mounted radiators or what used to be oil coolers, tapered rear end (which the rear is terrible aero-wise, so they include a standard electric spoiler to deal with that problem). So the 911 shape is functional based on the drivetrain configuration. The fake styling of the Pana and the Cayenne pepper is just fake.
Old 07-04-09, 02:40 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I was unsure about the looks until I saw them in person last week during the filming of a commercial I like it would love to own one but have to wait for 50% depreciation however long that takes. The roofline is the same height as a 911 which is something of a engineering marvel. They took a photo of a 997 beside the Panamera in profile. You can't see the Panamera except where it seems to grow longer than the 997.

Accept no substitute
Old 07-04-09, 10:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I was unsure about the looks until I saw them in person last week during the filming of a commercial I like it would love to own one but have to wait for 50% depreciation however long that takes. The roofline is the same height as a 911 which is something of a engineering marvel. They took a photo of a 997 beside the Panamera in profile. You can't see the Panamera except where it seems to grow longer than the 997.

Accept no substitute
Like how the Cayenne grew on me?

Old 07-06-09, 10:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Porsche Selects Monterey Car Festivities to Unveil New Panamera in North America

Porsche's Panamera to debut at Monterey Peninsula's Classic Car Week. (PRNewsFoto/Porsche Cars North America)

ATLANTA, GA UNITED STATES

Highly Anticipated Four-Door Gran Turismo Debuts Amidst America's Most Prestigious Celebration of the Automobile

ATLANTA, July 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Porsche announced it will show its all-new Panamera Gran Turismo to the North American public for the first time during Monterey Peninsula's Classic Car Week (August 9-16) that includes the Quail, a Motorsports Gathering, the Monterey Historics and the famed Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

The new Panamera has been eagerly awaited ever since Porsche announced it would build the brand's first-ever four-door sports car. Porsche's unique four-seater was conceived and designed as a grand touring car, combining numerous talents in typical Porsche style: sporting driving dynamics, a spacious interior, and the supreme comfort of a gran turismo.

The Panamera will go on sale at Porsche's 202 U.S. dealers on October 17, 2009.

"The exclusive automotive events that take place on the Monterey Peninsula this August are the perfect stage to roll out this extraordinary car," said Detlev von Platen, President and CEO of Porsche Cars North America. "Our Panamera will feel right at home among both vintage and modern classics and will make quite a splash among the tens of thousands of true automobile enthusiasts there."

To celebrate the arrival of the new Panamera Porsche has joined numerous prestigious brands in sponsoring the Quail, a Motorsports Gathering and the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. While the Quail Lodge will be the backdrop of a Porsche Experience Center where VIP test drives will be conducted throughout the week, Pebble Beach has, for the first time, introduced a Porsche category on the hollow grounds of the 18th fairway.

The Panamera celebration also involves the 36th Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races where Porsche is the featured marque this year. This will have special meaning to all those race drivers, teams, and fans of Porsche as one of the most famous vintage racing events in the world honors the most successful racing brand of all time. Porsche will bring to the event a number of significant and rare historic race cars, the Formula One and Two cars among them.

SOURCE Porsche Cars North America
Old 10-23-09, 05:19 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-23-09, 05:48 AM
LexFather

Mesh wheels should be standard.

Old 10-23-09, 05:52 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, what where they thinking for making those tiny wheels as an option.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)