Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 01:03 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
did anyone see the road test on motorweek?

UNBELIEVABLE suspension.

i'd buy this car in a heartbeat if i a) wanted to spend that much, and b) wanted a large sedan.
Oh yes I saw that road test. The Panamera wentt around the cones like no other vehicle I've ever seen! It was just unreal No body roll & no drama. Hell I believe that one can go flat out around the cones
Old 10-24-09, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
did anyone see the road test on motorweek?

UNBELIEVABLE suspension.

i'd buy this car in a heartbeat if i a) wanted to spend that much, and b) wanted a large sedan.
Looks aside the engineering in this sedan is bar none for sports sedans.

Old 10-24-09, 10:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No surprise the handling is first rate, Porsche is the master. Look at the 911 to see how superbly engineered the car is for excellent handling and the best steering feel, despite being an unbalanced rear-heavy rear-engined design.
Old 10-25-09, 05:14 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just heard car guru Ed Wallace interview the Ft Worth Porsche dealer in his weekly radio show yesterday. They just got the first Panamera, a dual turbo, fully loaded, MSRP $156,000 plus change. Already sold! The dealer stated he has 10-12 units coming in and already pre-sold!
Old 10-25-09, 05:20 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Amazing sports sedan but for the same money I'd rather have one of them new Jaguar XJR... good looks and more reliability to boot.
Old 10-25-09, 05:30 PM
hughh
Pole Position

I agree with you, better looks! As for reliability, who knows! Both cars are new, so there won't be any record on reliability for quite some time.
Old 10-26-09, 01:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I may not like Porsche that much.......but I have to admit that I kinda like the Panamera (especially the top-of-the-line version).

Still, maybe someone can answer my question, but I can't understand as to what many people are saying in that this car is ugly.

I dunno if it's just me but I've been trying hard to find the ugliness or design flaw of this vehicle. I've seen ugly cars like Ridgeline, Ford Expedition, Ssangyong Rodius/Stavic and their ugliness is clearly visible...........yet for the Panamera, whatever people see and claim as an ugly design is well.......I really can't see what's wrong with it. Hence, from what I can see, it looks neat to me.

Maybe my visual perception is different I guess.
Old 10-26-09, 07:31 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw 3 at the dealer, got to sat in a fully loaded turbo with tan interior and piano black wood.

That thing is wonderful, easily surpass LS and S class in terms of the interior finish, maybe not as comfortable, but its very high class look, feel and smell.

It doesn't look half bad either, specially when you are not far enough to take in its entire shape It is a massive car, it looks wider and definitely longer than a X3
Old 10-26-09, 07:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I may not like Porsche that much.......but I have to admit that I kinda like the Panamera (especially the top-of-the-line version).

Still, maybe someone can answer my question, but I can't understand as to what many people are saying in that this car is ugly.

I dunno if it's just me but I've been trying hard to find the ugliness or design flaw of this vehicle. I've seen ugly cars like Ridgeline, Ford Expedition, Ssangyong Rodius/Stavic and their ugliness is clearly visible...........yet for the Panamera, whatever people see and claim as an ugly design is well.......I really can't see what's wrong with it. Hence, from what I can see, it looks neat to me.

Maybe my visual perception is different I guess.
I think the ugly side profile, which results from the humped hatch-like rear end on a long sedan is what causes these negative reactions. Otherwise, I think the car looks good from most other angles.

They want the rear to be Porsche-like on their sedan, & yet they want good rear headroom as well, that's what the problem is IMO ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-26-09 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-09, 12:58 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 11-04-09, 01:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
I new the evolution was based on something.

Any similarity to the classic functional shape of the 911 is accidental maybe.
Old 11-04-09, 07:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Although the Panamera is hideous and ugly and completely wrong exterior design wise I just saw in Car and Driver a turbo did 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. That is completely insane and faster then so many lighter purpose built sports cars, even the new LFA. It is almost embarrassing that a giant heavy roomy 4 door station wagon like the Panamera can outperform so many high end sports cars.
Old 11-04-09, 07:24 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

The Porsche Panamera is definitely high up there in the list of cars I want to have some time in the near future, after reading a lot on it and seeing it in person. Pictures really do this car no justice.
Old 11-04-09, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I new the evolution was based on something.

Any similarity to the classic functional shape of the 911 is accidental maybe.
That pic was hilarious!!

I said it as soon as it was announced, this car will change our thoughts of what a high performance super sedan is. The engineering and performance is simply astounding. What the Panamera has over the M5 and E63 etc is its not based on cars that base, well are 4 cylinder vehicles.

Will the performance and prestige of Porsche make people overlook, the "looks". We shall see soon.

Old 11-04-09, 08:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

They sold 360 Panamera's in the second half of October in the U.S. last month ...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4979391-post51.html

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)