Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 01:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

4 door is not the problem for me, but the style is just ugly in my eyes. especially the rear quarter, just doesn't work at all.
Old 07-09-10, 01:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i guess it's a love or hate thing...
Old 07-09-10, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

yup, just like i said in post #620. personally i think it's one of those more "extreme" cars
Old 07-09-10, 02:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
4 door is not the problem for me, but the style is just ugly in my eyes. especially the rear quarter, just doesn't work at all.
Agreed, plenty of 4 door cars are both sleek and attractive today.

I already commented a few months back about what I called "fake Porsche styling", so I won't regurgitate that.
Old 07-09-10, 02:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I fail to see what is "ugly" about this car? Love it, wife loves it....it's going to get serious consideration as the F replacement down the road.
I agree with you. This car has grown on me. Especially when you get an opportunity to check it out in person. I saw one at the dealership a few weeks back and was loving it. I think the looks are unique and fresh. When modified then the car just looks awesome. The car may not look good to Lexus guys on a Lexus forum but to Porsche guys its a beauty. They did do a little research in terms of customer response to the car and its styling. It wasnt a shot in the dark
Old 07-09-10, 03:01 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I agree with you. This car has grown on me. Especially when you get an opportunity to check it out in person. I saw one at the dealership a few weeks back and was loving it. I think the looks are unique and fresh. When modified then the car just looks awesome. The car may not look good to Lexus guys on a Lexus forum but to Porsche guys its a beauty. They did do a little research in terms of customer response to the car and its styling. It wasnt a shot in the dark
Agreed. While waiting for a brake fluid flush on the 911, I checked out one in the showroom.
Oddly enough, I was drawn to the rear, opened the door, and sat in the back seat, drivers side. I was overwhelmed by the luxury and appointment, yet the seats (really bucket seats) were firm and supported me laterally, very much like the sport seats in the 911.
Moved up to the drivers seat, and took it all in - amazing to be surrounded by luxurious materials that will do 180 mph comfortably. Then the sales guy sauntered over, and I got the hell out of there
Old 07-09-10, 03:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

The car may not look good to Lexus guys on a Lexus forum but to Porsche guys its a beauty.
really? i guess my friends with 911s and 911 turbo aren't real porsche owners
Old 07-09-10, 03:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not to mention me, I've owned 1 911 and 2 Boxsters, I dislike the styling of the Panamera and the 1st gen Cayenne (both in pictures and especially in person).
Old 07-09-10, 03:44 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not to mention me, I've owned 1 911 and 2 Boxsters, I dislike the styling of the Panamera and the 1st gen Cayenne (both in pictures and especially in person).
Looks, as usual are subjective. There are tons of 911 owners on 6speed that have picked up Panamera's for their luxury ride.
Old 07-09-10, 03:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Looks, as usual are subjective. There are tons of 911 owners on 6speed that have picked up Panamera's for their luxury ride.
Agreed, looks are subjective.

High probability that Panamera (like Cayenne) was good business decision. Same logic was used with Cayenne, because nearly all 911/Boxster owners had or wanted a SUV in their multi-vehicle households.
Old 07-09-10, 04:22 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

High probability that Panamera (like Cayenne) was good business decision. Same logic was used with Cayenne, because nearly all 911/Boxster owners had or wanted a SUV in their multi-vehicle households.
Agreed.

There are definitely a lot of Porsche owners that have gone the 7 series or S class route due to the lack of a Porsche offering for their luxury sedan. They should be able to grab back a significant number of these buyers over the next few years.
Old 07-09-10, 04:25 PM
LexFather

= The car may not look good to Lexus guys on a Lexus forum but to Porsche guys its a beauty.
Knock off your painting of everyone in threads where you want to imply the forum is some bad place where everyone is only pro Lexus.

In this very thread multiple Lexus guys on a Lexus forum are complimenting the car.

You are also COMPLETELY WRONG about Porsche guys all thinking its a beauty. Many despise the looks.

Old 07-09-10, 04:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm a Lexus guy and I like the Panamera. Then again...I'm usually against the grind here.

A few days ago, I commented that I like the the MB GL-coupe concept and I even hoped that Lexus would make a crossover, again..not many agree with me but its how I like my cars.
Old 07-09-10, 04:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are right. It was a good decision.

I hate cayenne and panarama but because of them, porsche now have money to make better 911.
Old 07-09-10, 05:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

of course, i completely agree with you, 100%. but i was trying to make it clear it has nothing to do with lexus or porsche owners

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)