Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10 | 02:30 PM
Damage
Advanced

I was a the Porsche dealership last weekend and got a chance to sit in one. It's far roomier than the ISF. Luxury levels are obviously superior along with performance if you compare their top model for it. Keep in mind it only seats 4 because the center has a massive tunnel /console going through it. Oh and the door locks are in weird locations. The car is ***-ugly from the rear though but if you like it, go sell the ISF and get one if space and performance are factors.

The day I shop for a baby hauler, it's going to be an SUV. No point in getting another high powered sedan. It's much easier to put a baby seat in an SUV than any car. You don't have to hunch over and worry about hitting your head or pulling your back muscles. The new Cayenne is even uglier than previous gen's design. My favorite SUV right now is either the Lexus RX or the MDX.

Last edited by Damage; 09-02-10 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-03-10 | 09:45 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

wow this thread is awesome - didn't know it existed
Old 09-03-10 | 10:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by s4play
I know this is a Lexus forum but I'm hoping to get some objective input on how this car compares to the IS-F....

Wifey wants a bigger car so we've been lookin at the Cayenne GTS but my eyes started wandering over to a white Panamera and suddenly I had flashes of building one similiar to the Techart one we saw at SEMA last year in white with yellow PCCB's!

There's been countless discussions about the IS-F > M3 > C63 > CTS-V already and those cars are not what we want as they are all the same size.

We are considering the new 2010 e63 AMG, the Panamera, Cayenne GTS, X5-M or perhaps the tba 2012 M5.

I love my IS-F and it's all done perfectly modded but a bit too small for what I had hoped for because right now when I'm by myself, I grab the keys to one of my 2-seaters and when we need space, it's always one of our current SUV's (ML and RX). I need something FAST and can carry baby/ luggage

Not sure if some of you have driven these cars but what's your thoughts on:

a) 2010 E63 AMG
b) 2010 Cayenne GTS
c) 2011 Panamera
d) 2010 BMW X5-M
e) 2012 M5 (TBA)
Well performance wise the IS F slots right between the Panamera Turbo and Panamera 4S V-8.

The Panamera is incredible to me and offers a very useful hatch and folding seats. It also sits 4 like the IS F. It is clearly more luxurious and you can build it to taste (pricey quickly). You can get AWD. I am a big fan of the car even though I am not in love with the styling.

I also love the Cayenne GTS. Interior is the big sore spot, especially since the new one has a Panamera like interior. Past that its an incredible vehicle. Cargo room is good but not as big as you would think.
Old 09-03-10 | 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

rick, if the idea to get another car is for kid / car seat, why would you pick another one that's also pretty tight in the back? doesn't make sense. i am also shopping (seems like our kids will be pretty close to each other!) and i am thinking about used e55 / m5, but i don't think i will consider cls55 for similar reason. just doesn't make sense right?

it's really hard to choose from your list, coz' it's battle between suv vs sedan. but in the sedan category, i would consider new m5 when it's out (more spacious imho), and for suv i would consider the gts
Old 09-03-10 | 12:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am a big fan of the car even though I am not in love with the styling.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah mahn some look great modded.
i can see you're coming around.

Originally Posted by 08MRISF
the panamera is awesome, I drove a panamera 4s and it was sweet but thr tranny is a little weird to get used to unless driven in sport mode.....
thanks for feedback. how is the tranny a little weird?

Originally Posted by s4play
I know this is a Lexus forum but I'm hoping to get some objective input on how this car compares to the IS-F....
well they're quite different vehicles! the IS-F of course is the 'hot' version of the entry lux small sports sedan, more targeted at M3. the panamera is a very luxurious large 4 seater with real back seat room and some astounding drivetrain technology. i've not driven one yet, but from watching video it looks to have one of the best active suspension systems ever made.

but between that and Cayenne GTS, E63, X5-M, M5, for a baby hauler, i'd say the Cayenne or X5-M! i just think sedans suck for carrying more than 2 people, and especially for babies, plus stuff for more than short hauls.

Originally Posted by Damage
The day I shop for a baby hauler, it's going to be an SUV. No point in getting another high powered sedan. It's much easier to put a baby seat in an SUV than any car. You don't have to hunch over and worry about hitting your head or pulling your back muscles.
agreed

The new Cayenne is even uglier than previous gen's design.
totally disagree

My favorite SUV right now is either the Lexus RX or the MDX.
i think the Q5 is really sharp looking!
Old 09-03-10 | 01:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
rick, if the idea to get another car is for kid / car seat, why would you pick another one that's also pretty tight in the back? doesn't make sense. i am also shopping (seems like our kids will be pretty close to each other!) and i am thinking about used e55 / m5, but i don't think i will consider cls55 for similar reason. just doesn't make sense rightgts
yes, with a kid coming, it really makes a good case for getting a E55/M5
Old 09-03-10 | 01:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I like the Pan. The butt that others think is so homely looks stylish and unique to me.
Slap on some 22's, a kit and drop and it's hotter than most. The interior is straigh butter. The engine packs a wallop. It's a great car.
Old 09-03-10 | 03:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
yes, with a kid coming, it really makes a good case for getting a E55/M5
well she pretty much approved them already, power for me and space for kid. the gs is small on rear cabin space and trunk space (both enemy against having kids)

i don't know...
Old 09-03-10 | 05:20 PM
LexFather

Honestly I think a SUV would fit better unless those sedans have drop down rear seats (in regards to children).
Old 09-07-10 | 10:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Still lovin' it.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-3.jpg   Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-4.jpg   Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-5.jpg  
Old 09-07-10 | 10:13 PM
LexFather

^^ I need to do some snooping to see if a GTS is coming (manual option)...I also think when it gets its facelift its going to help tidy things up.

Lovely vehicle, just lovely.
Old 09-07-10 | 11:28 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
rick, if the idea to get another car is for kid / car seat, why would you pick another one that's also pretty tight in the back? doesn't make sense. i am also shopping (seems like our kids will be pretty close to each other!) and i am thinking about used e55 / m5, but i don't think i will consider cls55 for similar reason. just doesn't make sense right?

it's really hard to choose from your list, coz' it's battle between suv vs sedan. but in the sedan category, i would consider new m5 when it's out (more spacious imho), and for suv i would consider the gts
You're absolutely right - ometimes I still dream like I'm mid 20's and single! haha

With our need for baby space, realistically only the new m5 or e63 sedans would suite me ok and even then space is still at a premium with all the stuff I see my buddy lugs with his SINGLE daughter! It still shocks me how much "Baby stuff" parents need to haul these days.

We just finally decided on a Phil & Ted's Stroller and even folded up, it's almost 26 lbs and pretty huge in size that it would take up a full trunk

Looks like I can wish for a Panamera but most likely will get a GTS or M-X5 eventually in the garage.

CDNROCKIES: that car is sooo hot!
rick
Old 09-11-10 | 09:52 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

This car is so good inside and out.

Was at the dealership again today. Their "brochure" is a nice 170 page, hardcover book that covers just about anything you can think of about these cars. Sales guy was fantastic. Incredible knowledge, of course about the Panamera, but more impressively about a multitude of other cars from BMW to MB to Lexus to Ferrari.

I love this car.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-2010-porsche-panamera-s-0546.jpg   Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-img_2602.jpg   Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-panameraturbo.jpg  
Old 09-11-10 | 10:43 PM
LexFather

Love the last shot..
Old 09-11-10 | 10:53 PM
RXSF

I see tons of these Panameras in the bay area. I think it looks pretty damn good.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)