Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 10:23 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
That Pana looks good, but I'm not sure I'd trust a company that would do this to a vehicle.
You guys are buggin'....That pink looks awesome.
Old 02-15-11, 10:27 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

In light of the M5 discussion....
Thanx, Just what the doctor ordered. This is THE sedan. Every manufacturer needs to take note.
Old 02-16-11, 05:36 AM
LexFather

ATLANTA, Feb. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Debuting later this year, Porsche will unveil its second production hybrid model, the Panamera S Hybrid, adding another chapter to its Porsche Intelligent Performance development philosophy. Without sacrificing sportiness or elegance, this new Panamera model produces 380 horsepower with fuel consumption of only 6.8 L/100 km on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC).

The Panamera S Hybrid is the most fuel efficient Porsche of all time. Optional low-rolling-resistance tires developed especially for the Panamera help this hybrid performance sedan deliver its impressive NEDC fuel economy figure. But even with standard performance tires, the Panamera S Hybrid's fuel consumption is a low 7.1 L/100 km. Official EPA fuel economy estimates will be available closer to the car's on-sale date.

The Panamera S Hybrid sets new standards in terms of Porsche performance as well as hybrid efficiencies. It accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.7 seconds and has a top track speed of 167 mph (270 km/h). Its range in purely electric mode is approximately one mile, with electric-only acceleration possible up to just over 50 mph (85 km/h).

The Porsche parallel full hybrid system also reduces consumption at high speeds thanks to its 'sailing' or coasting mode. When the driver lifts off the accelerator at normal highway cruising speeds, the gasoline engine is completely switched off and disengaged from the drivetrain by a decoupling clutch. This eliminates the combustion engine's drag forces and braking effect in the interest of lower resistance, fuel consumption and emissions. As soon as the driver presses the accelerator, to pass another vehicle for example, the gasoline engine smoothly starts within fractions of a second and engine rpms are increased to match the current vehicle speed. It does this seamlessly thanks to the Hybrid Manager, which also helps the Panamera S Hybrid accelerate dynamically in gears at higher speeds much like a conventional Panamera.

The same gasoline engine/electric motor combination that has already proven itself in the Cayenne S Hybrid drives the Panamera S Hybrid. A 3.0-liter supercharged V6 engine delivering 333 horsepower is supported by a 47-horsepower (34 kW) electric motor. Depending on driving conditions, either drive unit can operate independently or together to drive the rear wheels. The electric motor, which also serves as the car's generator and starter, combines with the decoupling clutch to form the compact hybrid module located between the combustion engine and the transmission. The electric motor is connected to a nickel metal hydride (NiMh) battery that stores electric energy recovered from braking and other driving situations. The transmission is the same eight-speed Tiptronic S fitted in the Cayenne models, with a wide range of gear ratios.

The Panamera S Hybrid has an even higher level of standard equipment than the V8 Panamera S. Adaptive Air Suspension with the Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) adaptive shock absorber system, Servotronic® variable-assist power steering and a rear wiper have been added to the list of standard equipment. Other standard features include Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with navigation, the universal audio interface to connect an external audio source such as an iPod or a USB stick to the PCM system, and Bi-Xenon™ headlights. Inside, this new model also features an innovative display that provides the driver with relevant information about the status of the vehicle's hybrid drive systems.

With the launch of the new hybrid variant, the Panamera model line now consists of six different models. The new offering underlines the strategic importance of the Porsche Intelligent Performance philosophy, with a combination of sportiness and economy unique in its segment. As such, it builds on the Panamera sedan's considerable success, with over 30,000 vehicles delivered worldwide since it went on sale in late 2009.

The Panamera S Hybrid will go on sale in the United States later in 2011 at a base suggested retail price of $95,000 (excluding destination).

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...116295229.html

Old 02-16-11, 06:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Kind of slow for the amount of horsepower that it has...I mean the GS has less and is far faster so I wonder what the weight/aerodynamic differences are. Anywho, as this is the same setup as the Cayenne Hybrid which averages 22 MPG, an average of 25 MPG doesn't seem too unrealistic.
Old 02-16-11, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Wow its on the site already

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/pa...mera-s-hybrid/

Old 02-16-11, 09:27 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this car. Wish i had the dough for one!
Old 02-16-11, 10:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

i think the panamera is the greatest porsche ever.
Old 02-16-11, 10:25 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 5.7 seconds makes it slower than the V6 Panamera...
Old 04-30-11, 09:10 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Even the azz looks pretty decent on this one.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-11.jpg   Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-12.jpg   Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-13.jpg   Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)-14.jpg  
Old 04-30-11, 11:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Kind of slow for the amount of horsepower that it has...I mean the GS has less and is far faster so I wonder what the weight/aerodynamic differences are. Anywho, as this is the same setup as the Cayenne Hybrid which averages 22 MPG, an average of 25 MPG doesn't seem too unrealistic.
it is 10% more efficient than 2006 GS450h in European cycle...
Old 04-30-11, 12:01 PM
LexFather

CDN I am convinced when they face lift it and butt tuck it its gonna look a lot better. I just have that hunch....

Old 04-30-11, 01:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I think Panamera looks good as it is, when you see it in real life, it has street presence and expensive looks.
Old 04-30-11, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Panamera was product that Porsche really really needed.

You guys dont know how lucky you are.

Porsche Panamera Croatia: 150k
Porsche Panamera USA: 75k
Old 04-30-11, 02:27 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CDN I am convinced when they face lift it and butt tuck it its gonna look a lot better. I just have that hunch....
I don't disagree with you Mike, but I'm not sure I can wait that long.
Old 04-30-11, 02:46 PM
LexFather

I don't disagree with you Mike, but I'm not sure I can wait that long.

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think Panamera looks good as it is, when you see it in real life, it has street presence and expensive looks.
Indeed...

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Official Thread (update-hybrid debuts)