Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Son of Supra" coming!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 02:49 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

BUILD THIS!!!!!!
supposedly you can by one by now if you wanted but I never heard of this yet!

Toyota Hybrid Sports Car "Priapus" Gets Greenlight
By Brian K. White
Jul 28, 2004, 08:39

Toyota Motor Corp. set themselves apart from American automakers in the 80's and 90's by designing quality vehicles absent of planned functional obsolescences. This decade Toyota made their mark by introducing the Prius, the first hybrid car to hit the market. Critics have praised it while still dubbing it a "gutless crackerbox", but now crackers have a sporty carriage of testosterone to choose while pretending to remain eco-friendly. Call it the hybrid Volta or the inbred Priapus, either way it still smells like raw pheramones.

Toyota's concept car, designed inside by the rigorous engineering team at Toyota, sports a flashy Italian design from the skin up as conceptualized by famed Italian designer Giugiaro of ItalDesign.

Forget the rickety Mexican taxicab style and performance offered by other hybrids. Thanks to a 3-liter V6 augmented by dual front and rear electric motors, this car boasts a breakneck 0-60 mph in just over four seconds while still offering around 30/mpg under normal driving conditions.

Critical sport enthusiasts feared the car would never reach production status and criticized Toyota as being the last car maker not to release a trophy sports car. Honda/Accura has it's NSX, Chrysler Motors has run the Dodge Viper and Plymouth Prowler. Even General Motors entered the game with their SSR pickup truck, but the wealthy Toyota remained the lone hold out.

Tuesday, Toyota Motors shocked industry analysts with the announcement that their critically acclaimed concept car, previously named the Volta, after the man who discovered electricity, redubbed "the Priapus" by both Car & Driver and Road & Track, will be available to consumers in Germany by Christmas 2004, and the U.S. three months later.

MSRP for the "three-plus-one coupe" is expected to be around $72,000 and is expected to revolutionize the independent racing circuit. Cylinder boring and other performance modifications are expected to be available on a very limited basis, but weekend race enthusiasts are no less prepared to embrace the vehicle. Orders are already being accepted so contact your local Toyota dealership to place a deposit on this piece of automotive history now. Production will be limited and no one doubts this will become an instant classic.

Experts suggest early models should be available on Ebay for prices from $120,000 to $165,000 within weeks of US market release.
Old 03-02-05, 02:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Find out what Priapus is :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=Priapus
Old 03-02-05, 03:10 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I know what it is.
Old 03-02-05, 03:52 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure Toyota is watching what Nissan and Mazda did resurrecting their sport coupes. All three had popular but overpriced coupes...300Z, RX7 and Supra. The prices became too high for the average buyer. All three died. Almost...the Supra only half died. Anyway, Nissan and Mazda resurrected the sport coupe with prices almost anyone can afford with decent power. Especially the 350Z making 300 hp for $30K. The Mazda isn't bad, 238 hp for $26K. I know Toyota want a piece of this. They will be back!
Old 03-02-05, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93

If they DO build this car, AT LEAST change the headlights....that front end looks like one of those "Alien" creatures. Gives me the creeps just looking at it.
Old 03-02-05, 05:09 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to get a high end sports car in a couple years and this will be at the top of the list along with the LF-A provided both make it to production.
Old 03-02-05, 05:41 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gives me the creeps just looking at it.
Perhaps that's the whole point?
Old 03-02-05, 06:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If Toyota and Honda want to build hybrid performance cars that is fine, I just hope they do not put these powerplants in exsisting nameplates NSX, Supra, and possibly LFA in the future. From what I have read hybrid powertrains are not the best powerplants for high performance driving. They are complex, heavy, need larger amounts of space, and one of the biggest disadvantages is that they have problems with sustained high speed and high output because of batteries eventaully loosing their charge or something to that effect. They also would be more sensitive to modding and it may screw up their systems if you start adding horsepower. I think they are trying to answer questions that nobody is really asking which is how to build a supercar that get slightly better gas mileage but may be disadvantaged to gasoline powered engines. The accord hybrid is the most performance oriented but it only gets a few miles better and has a rough transition of the line. Most enthusiast want a v-8, light turbo v-8, or turbo 6 cylinder in the next supra then a hybrid electric. There was this low purple colored drawing of a possible toyota lexus sports car called like a 4000 GT that was to be released but Toyota felt it was a little too old school, I am trying to find it on the net but it was agressive looking with intakes on the side and a fairly large spoiler and would make a nice supra replacement.
Old 03-02-05, 07:01 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota, with all its domination, needs to get back in this segment again!
Old 03-03-05, 09:33 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we all know the SC300/400 models where the best looking Lexus......s..s.s.s.s............ever...hahahaha.....