Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Son of Supra" coming!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 11:35 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Son of Supra" coming!!!

Killer roadster from Toyota. About time!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104818

Son of Supra

By: editors at Edmunds.com

Date Posted 02-28-2005

Looking for a high-profile sports car to polish its image, Toyota is finishing up development of a Supra successor, code-named project 395.

When you think of exciting Toyota sports cars, one you can't ignore is the lovely 2000 GT featured in the 1967 James Bond film, You Only Live Twice. The new front-engine, rear-drive sports car will even borrow subtle styling cues from that icon.

Our sources suggest Toyota is looking at two distinct versions for production. One will use a 3.5-liter development of the new V6 (introduced in the 2006 Lexus GS 300), making 300 horsepower. The second, higher-intensity model could use the company's 4.3-liter V8, tweaked to give about 350 hp.

Styling features a long front deck and short rear, much like the Mercedes-Benz SLK, BMW Z4 and Honda S2000 that the new Toyota will compete against. We expect it will employ a conventional folding soft top.

Pricing will likely run close to $30,000 for the V6 (to rustle 350Z feathers) and into the low-$40,000 range for the V8. The Supra spirit will rise again!
Old 03-01-05, 11:38 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it will actually come out on sales floors...
Old 03-01-05, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Motor Trend is late

Old 03-01-05, 12:18 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Um, I really hope there will be the $100K car in addition to this...
Old 03-01-05, 12:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Um, I really hope there will be the $100K car in addition to this...
Hopefully that'll be the LF-A tested in Nurburgring

The one posted above looks nothing like the LF-A
Old 03-01-05, 12:58 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Hopefully that'll be the LF-A tested in Nurburgring

The one posted above looks nothing like the LF-A
Then I wonder what platform they'll use for the less expensive car...The new IS maybe? I hope not, reverse engineer a 4-door platform to a sports car rarely results in anything truly outstanding.

PS- I see you have a new name.
Old 03-01-05, 01:25 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

To be honest, I'm not really feeling that drawing.
Old 03-01-05, 01:40 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 300hp 3.5L V6, and a 350hp 4.3L V8. They have to have something bigger and better than the 4.3L V8 for the Supra people to take it serious, and a turbo or 2 wouldn't hurt either just to keep it in the tradition.

James
Old 03-01-05, 01:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

On a few other forums...some actually like the idea of the Supra becoming a roadster. I personally dont. I dont remember seeing a roadster/soft top Supra ever. Hopefully they dont forget what made the car so popular. For some reason I feel that if they mess one thing up, they could tarnish the Supra name. They gotta come correct with the next one.
Old 03-01-05, 03:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There have been rumors of a Supra replacement since 2000 so I don't know if this is anything to get excited about. I am not a fan of the Supra becoming a roadster either. The Toyota 2000GT never sold in high numbers and most non enthusiasts don't know about it. A roadster version was in a James Bond movie but that is about it so I don't know whey they would try to make it like that. They shoud try and outdue the last Supra because that car is one of the most sought after imports ever. People are still trying to sell them for $40-50,000 used. I hope they don't make the supra a competitor for the 350Z, RX-8, S2000, boxster, z4. It should be competing against Corvettes, 911, Skylines,TTz's, RX-7, NSX like the last one. Without a v-8 or turbo engine it will be a letdone from the last one and not be able to compete with corvettes etc. I would like to see a GT 2+2 that focuses on hardcore driving and forget about a cheaper underpowered model. It should be lighter, a little smaller, agressive and look nothing like any toyotas or lexus. It should have around 375 hp and hopefully be well under $50,000. Toyota needs something exciting in their line up of well built boring vehicles.
Old 03-01-05, 07:50 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Since 2000? More like since the day after the supra got canned in 98. In fact, scientists found drawings in a cave dating back to almost 90,000 BC drawn by a caveman who claims the pic “is totally the MkV Supra you guys”

As far as Supra rumors go, i’ll believe it when I see it at the dealership.
Old 03-01-05, 11:49 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I believe if the new upcoming Skyline is going to be a twin-turbo (at least thats what i've heard so far), then Toyota should follow suit. They have to be blind not to notice all the Supra's running around with upgraded turbo's pumping out 6 or700+hp. As everyone knows, Its a lot more work to take an NA car and make it into a turbo. Hopefully Toyota does it right and doesn't go NA just because its easier to make it pass emissions...
Old 03-02-05, 08:35 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IVXX
Since 2000? More like since the day after the supra got canned in 98. In fact, scientists found drawings in a cave dating back to almost 90,000 BC drawn by a caveman who claims the pic “is totally the MkV Supra you guys”

As far as Supra rumors go, i’ll believe it when I see it at the dealership.
LOL! I'm with you on this. You can only hear so many rumors and see so many concept drawings until you just dismiss them all as BS. I'll listen up when Toyota does releases drawings. No more of these fake *** drawings. Will the real Supra please stand up.
Old 03-02-05, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
On a few other forums...some actually like the idea of the Supra becoming a roadster. I personally dont. I dont remember seeing a roadster/soft top Supra ever. Hopefully they dont forget what made the car so popular. one.
Roadsters generally don't handle as well as closed-top cars either, for several reasons, including greater weight, body flex due to the lack of a solid roof as a cross-brace, and less tire contact with the road from the lack of chassis rigidity. The best and highest-quality roadsters have minimized these problems through advanced chassis engineering but there still is some difference from a coupe.
Old 03-02-05, 02:44 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

While I do agree that most of the Supra hype is BS,I think Toyota may ressurect the vehicle under a different name(big mistake in my opinion).I hope they produce a V8 powered vehicle utilizing the 4.3 liter that's currently used in Lexus vehicles tuned to produce betweeen 300-375 horsepower making a nice Corvette fighter.I guess they could could also place the Avalon's 3.5 liter as a lower priced model producing 300hp as a Z fighter.They obviously have seen how popular the Z is so what gives?
The LF-A should stay as a Lexus,and I'm pretty sure if it's produced,it should be making at least 500 horsepower so it shouldn't coincide with the Toyota.I'm surprised that a company that can afford to build this thing and even take a loss doesn't. WAKE UP TOYOTA!!!! And if they're lousy excuse is that they build hybrids and want to save the planet,then GIVE US THE F@CKIN VOLTA any one agree??That baby is awesome and it would still be conserving resources.Bybthe way what happen to the MRSpyders replacement that was shown a while back?

Quick Reply: "Son of Supra" coming!!!