Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

50K sport sedans comparo (ACURA RL, M45 and GS430)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 11:58 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i meant reviews from people outside of edmunds. The m45 sport wasnt equipped with the good (optional) audio system but the gs did have the top of the line optional one. So yes, infiniti gave them the wrong car to review....oh well. This is why they actually mentioned it wasnt infiniti's top of the line audio system that the m45 was equipped with.
Old 03-02-05, 12:04 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I didn't see them as liking more luxury over sport. I saw them picking the best car. THe M45 sport was the sportiest but the steering did not match that. And the car rode over irregularities worse than the other 2 (think FX with the 20s). Most roads are not perfect, most are in need or work,. This means straight roads and curvy roads. This car does seem to be the most fun out the box but honestly, for 51-60k, how many people do you think are going to push the car like that?
Most people wont even be buying the gs430 or m45. Most will be buying the gs300 or m35 for normal driving. People who want to spend 51-60k will be getting the gs430 or m45 for its speed and sportiness since interior and exterior are exactly the same in their lower models. Who didnt buy the previous generation gs430 for its better performance?
Old 03-02-05, 05:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In other words, the GS is perfect if you're willing to forego the last 10 percent of the performance envelope. In years past that 10 percent is all I cared about, but at my advanced age that other 90 percent is looking more important all the time.
It's called maturity.....and simple common sense.
There's a lot more to life ( even car life ) than 0-60 times, quarter-mile, skidpad, and braking figures.
Old 03-02-05, 08:24 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In other words, the GS is perfect if you're willing to forego the last 10 percent of the performance envelope. In years past that 10 percent is all I cared about, but at my advanced age that other 90 percent is looking more important all the time.
AMEN!

Sad to say, but over the years my needs in a car have changed too, from and all-out asphalt burner to a more comfortable, silently competent vehicle that provides comfort with solid handling and a turn of speed. David E. Davis used to call it a "Gentleman's Transport".
Old 03-02-05, 03:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I didn't see them as liking more luxury over sport. I saw them picking the best car. THe M45 sport was the sportiest but the steering did not match that. And the car rode over irregularities worse than the other 2 (think FX with the 20s). Most roads are not perfect, most are in need or work,. This means straight roads and curvy roads. This car does seem to be the most fun out the box but honestly, for 51-60k, how many people do you think are going to push the car like that?
I disagree. They picked the car that was the most luxurious IMHO. Xenthar is correct, if it had been the Infiniti M45 non-sport with upgraded radio it might have turned out different - at least according to Edmunds. I am curious what C&D thinks since they probably would have chosen then sportier of the three cars - but who knows. Hopefully we will see soon!

See that's my problem with the current GS and I just put my finger on this the other day. It is not a fun car - period. It is a luxury car and I need more than that .
Old 03-02-05, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I .

See that's my problem with the current GS and I just put my finger on this the other day. It is not a fun car - period. It is a luxury car and I need more than that .
Well, Doug.......this begs the question, then, if Lexus in general is for you. Maybe what you really need.....or want.......is a Corvette.
Old 03-02-05, 06:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Doug.......this begs the question, then, if Lexus in general is for you. Maybe what you really need.....or want.......is a Corvette.
Well those would be two totally different cars now wouldn't they? Personally I don't think a Corvette is for me. There are plenty of cars out there that are fun (I suspect the new M probably is, I know any BMW is, I'm curious about the new A6 and STS, and of course there are others such as the new Legacy that look very interesting as well). My next car will have the fun quotient for sure - for all I know, maybe the 06 GS has it?
Old 03-03-05, 04:27 PM
InfiniD
Driver School Candidate

It says 50K sport sedan comparison. That's what Infiniti sent. Their sportiest version for 50K. As it turns out that's not what they were testing for. I think a fully loaded M35X would have walked away with this comparison test. They didn't really care how sporty the car was. The M35X performs on the level of the other cars and has more equipment than either one. I think Infiniti can get back at Edmunds though. The next time they have a 20K sport coupe comparison, they should just send a G35 coupe. It's 10 grand more but from this review that shouldn't matter. The GS that they tested was 60K. I just read this review again and it contradicts itself over and over. I think Edmunds should be banned from any further comparison testing. They are clearly incompetent.
Old 03-03-05, 04:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by InfiniD
It says 50K sport sedan comparison. That's what Infiniti sent. Their sportiest version for 50K. As it turns out that's not what they were testing for. I think a fully loaded M35X would have walked away with this comparison test. They didn't really care how sporty the car was. The M35X performs on the level of the other cars and has more equipment than either one. I think Infiniti can get back at Edmunds though. The next time they have a 20K sport coupe comparison, they should just send a G35 coupe. It's 10 grand more but from this review that shouldn't matter. The GS that they tested was 60K. I just read this review again and it contradicts itself over and over. I think Edmunds should be banned from any further comparison testing. They are clearly incompetent.
OMG, let it die. Infinti lost this one. Period. Stop making excuses. Ya'll were singing praises when the M35 own in Motor Trend.

Let it go, breathe, your holy car placed third, behind a V-6 RL. Complain to Edmunds. Tell professional car editors they are idiots. Now u suggest for them to send a loaded M35x. Some say they should have gotten a M45 non-sport. Next thing ya'll will say is they should have waited for the next generation 2010 M45.

There will be more comparisons in the future and the M45 will probably do very well.

Old 03-03-05, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

The least expensive GS430 configuration with ML audio is just under $58K according to the Lexus web site so that certainly isn't "50K". Amazingly there's an $11K option package that takes the car to $62,829 again according to Lexus' web site. That's a bunch of coin. Is it worth it? Probably, this is a serious chunk of hardware and refinement. But no one should be under the illusion you can get an 06 GS430 for "$50K". No chance, unless it's used or damaged.
Old 03-03-05, 07:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

OMG, let it die. Infinti lost this one. Period. Stop making excuses. Ya'll were singing praises when the M35 own in Motor Trend.

Let it go, breathe, your holy car placed third, behind a V-6 RL. Complain to Edmunds. Tell professional car editors they are idiots. Now u suggest for them to send a loaded M35x. Some say they should have gotten a M45 non-sport. Next thing ya'll will say is they should have waited for the next generation 2010 M45.

There will be more comparisons in the future and the M45 will probably do very well.
so well said.... it doesn't make any sense whining about it man.... just move on to the next test (my 2 cents)
Old 03-03-05, 11:50 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

No ones really whining, they are just sharing their opinion on the review. Most forums ive been to are talking about the same thing--that the cars werent evenly equipped. And thats okay. Lexus won this review. No biggie.
Old 03-04-05, 05:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The GS430 is better equipped, but because of that it loses points in the price criteria in the comparison to both RL & M45, so it's not as if they want to give the advantage to the better equipped but pricier car. It rather is how they weigh the criteria, & the arbitrariness in the reviewers assigning a point value to each criteria that can be questioned. But then you can raise the same questions in almost any comparison test in the car magazines as well if you want to take it apart.

I have said before, the rankings of these comparison tests are mostly worthless, they do it just to try to sell more magazines. The stats they generate & some of their impressions on the cars are informative, but their rankings of the cars are not to be taken seriously.