Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

50K sport sedans comparo (ACURA RL, M45 and GS430)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 04:58 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50K sport sedans comparo (ACURA RL, M45 and GS430)

Introduction
By Scott Oldham
Date posted: 02-28-2005

After years of barking up different trees, recent redesigns of the 2006 Infiniti M45, 2006 Lexus GS 430 and 2005 Acura RL have landed this trio of luxury-laden super sedans at the foot of the same birch.

Not only are all three built in Japan to an unquestionable high level of quality, each packs at least 300 horsepower, an automanual transmission, keyless ignition, an electronic stability system and enough interior volume to haul five Grave Digger fans and their full foam coolers to the monster truck jam. Oh yeah, and all three cost about $50 grand.

But which one should you spend your hard-earned money on? To find out we ordered up one of each and lived in them for one week. We also took them to the track and performed our usual battery of instrumented testing.

And after all that, the winner was clear. Sort of. Meet the cars.

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
The Infiniti is the hot rod of this group. It has the largest and most powerful engine, the largest wheels and tires, the most powerful brakes, the firmest suspension, and it outaccelerates the others like they're tied to a post. It's also the most entertaining to drive, with a transmission that actually matches revs like a good driver does when downshifting a true manual, and a well-balanced chassis that rewards advanced driving technique.

Our Infiniti M45 Sport was also sportier on the inside than the others, with the firmest and most heavily bolstered seats, a prominently placed tachometer and real aluminum trim instead of the more traditional wood that adorns the interiors of the Lexus and the Acura.

On the downside? Some on staff feel too much tire noise makes it into the Infiniti's interior and its steering isn't as refined as the GS 430's or the Acura's.

2006 Lexus GS 430
The Lexus carries a base price of $51,125, which makes it almost $2 grand more than the others. But that extra expense is more than justified by traditional Lexus attention to detail and sweet workmanship. The GS 430 is built like a fine watch and runs just as smoothly. Its interior is a wonderful mix of fine leather, rich wood and simplistic design. Its forms may not be as artful as the other two, but the materials used and its ergonomics are far superior.

With 300 hp from its 4.3-liter V8 and the only six-speed transmission of the group, the Lexus performs as well. It accelerates hard enough to push you back into the seat, and leaves the equally powerful Acura in the dust. Its suspension, which can be adjusted firmer with a switch on the console, is also tuned to near perfection, delivering a supple highway ride and athletic reflexes.

Flaws are limited to very grabby brakes, which make it hard to stop smoothly, and a very aggressive stability control system, which cannot be shut down.

2005 Acura RL
The Acura's story is value. For the as-tested price of $49,470, the RL comes with such luxuries as a navigation system with voice-command capability, satellite radio, a power sunroof, a power rear sunshade and a premium 10-speaker audio system, all of which cost extra on the Infiniti and the Lexus. And it's the only car in this test with all-wheel drive (the Lexus and Infiniti are rear-wheel drive).

The Acura is quick, and it can be surprisingly fun to toss around, but it's just not as focused on performance as the other two. It's powered by the only V6 engine in the test, and it doesn't have as much grunt off the line as the V8s in the other cars. It also doesn't handle as well as the others despite its all-wheel drive, and its brakes are the most easily overheated.

Some also feel the Acura's interior materials and décor aren't up to the RL's $50,000 price tag, and its seats, which are the softest and least bolstered of the bunch, just aren't sporty enough for a sport sedan.

Lexus Wins a Close One
Here's the reality: Anyone from Tony Stewart to Martha Stewart would be happy owning any one of these three cars. They're all that good.

So good, that after all our driving, after all our note taking and score keeping and track testing and long-winded discussions about cupholders and trailing-throttle oversteer and rear-seat legroom, all three finished within four points of each other. Four points out of 100.

Basically, for all intents and purposes, it was a tie.

Still, on paper, it's the Lexus that comes out on top. Its combination of performance, luxury and astonishing attention to detail cannot be ignored. It's a car worthy of its price premium over the others, and it's a car anyone would be proud to own. But the Acura RL has run a very close second, very close, and the Infiniti M45 Sport a close third.

Source :http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104808

Scott Oldham was the editor of sport compact car magazine, i think and i've always liked his aritcles.
Old 03-01-05, 05:04 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repost.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152941
Old 03-01-05, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Awwwww, no comments?
1. GS 430
2. RL
3. M45 sport

I am not surprised.

Old 03-01-05, 08:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, so wait a min.... for about the same price, you get v8 on lexus and infiniti, but v6 on the acura?
Old 03-01-05, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by genearch
Where is that guy that is always posting stuff like:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! The M45 has PRESENCE !!!! !!!

OMG !

OMG!!!

hahhaa, you are very funny, gene
Old 03-01-05, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
Where is that guy that is always posting stuff like:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! The M45 has PRESENCE !!!! !!!

OMG !

OMG!!!

lol, there are a few of those round these parts.......but alas, their input cannot be found

Old 03-01-05, 10:15 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, so wait a min.... for about the same price, you get v8 on lexus and infiniti, but v6 on the acura?
um, I think the Infiniti and Lexus are about $5-8K more - when comparably equiped that is.
Old 03-01-05, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by doug_999
um, I think the Infiniti and Lexus are about $5-8K more - when comparably equiped that is.
from the review it says the gs430 is 2k more. not sure about teh options though, it's always confusing to me @_@
Old 03-01-05, 11:31 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Lets just see what the REAL reviewers say from car and driver, motortrend, etc. I'm sure there will be a comparison among the three. They complained about road noise in the m45. Well, thats understandable considering that it IS the sport model and not the regular model without the sport tuned suspension and 19" wheels. They should have compared the gs430, rl, and m45 non-sport. Actually, it should have been the RL, gs300awd, and m35awd. Either way, they had nice things to say about all the cars.
Old 03-01-05, 11:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Lets just see what the REAL reviewers say from car and driver, motortrend, etc. I'm sure there will be a comparison among the three. They complained about road noise in the m45. Well, thats understandable considering that it IS the sport model and not the regular model without the sport tuned suspension and 19" wheels. They should have compared the gs430, rl, and m45 non-sport. Actually, it should have been the RL, gs300awd, and m35awd. Either way, they had nice things to say about all the cars.
So Edmunds is not a real review? Did you see how in depth that review was? It impressed me with the details. Much better than that pathetic Motor Trend Article comparing the M35/RL/A6/STS/S-type/5. That was a sad article (The pics were not even, they didn't really explain anything) but kudos to the M35 for the win.

Infiniti sent them that press vehicle, its their fault. And yes, again, no bad car in the bunch.

Old 03-01-05, 11:44 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

its just that these particular reviewers in edmunds preferred luxury over sport. But this is the sport luxury category right? Its all a matter of preference. But its highly agreeable that the m45 non sport would have a softer suspension and the non sport 18s would also contribute to less road noise. It was a fair comparison, but lets just see some other comparisons before declaring the winner. Also, when i say real review, i mean a review from actual car enthusiasts such as the well respected magazines of car and driver, motortrend, etc. (just to clarify)
Old 03-01-05, 11:50 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

I'm probably going to test drive both this weekend and see what actually is better from a open-minded view. Ive already test driven the RL so i have my opinion on that car already. I passed by lexus and infiniti yesterday and saw the m45 and gs430 on display. I didnt test drive it yesterday because i saw a line of people waiting to test drive them
Old 03-01-05, 11:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Xenthar
its just that these particular reviewers in edmunds preferred luxury over sport. But this is the sport luxury category right? Its all a matter of preference. But its highly agreeable that the m45 non sport would have a softer suspension and the non sport 18s would also contribute to less road noise. It was a fair comparison, but lets just see some other comparisons before declaring the winner. Also, when i say real review, i mean a review from actual car enthusiasts such as the well respected magazines of car and driver, motortrend, etc. (just to clarify)
I didn't see them as liking more luxury over sport. I saw them picking the best car. THe M45 sport was the sportiest but the steering did not match that. And the car rode over irregularities worse than the other 2 (think FX with the 20s). Most roads are not perfect, most are in need or work,. This means straight roads and curvy roads. This car does seem to be the most fun out the box but honestly, for 51-60k, how many people do you think are going to push the car like that?

Third Place: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

If your driveway is shaped like the Nurburgring, and your commute includes a few laps of Laguna Seca, your $50,000 should be spent on the 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport. It's the hot rod of the bunch, outaccelerating, outbraking and outhandling the other two with ease.

Great Drivetrain
The M45 Sport, which carries a base price of $50,160, is powered by the best engine and transmission in this test. Its 340-hp, 4.5-liter, double-overhead-cam V8 is as good an engine as you'll find in any sedan anywhere in the world. It provides gobs of low-end torque, it loves to find its 6,800-rpm redline and it's smooth enough to be in a car that costs twice as much. Power delivery, either out on the highway or off the line, is downright explosive.

This is partly due to the Infiniti's five-speed automatic transmission, which is not only the best gearbox in this test, but it's the best automanual we've ever driven. First of all, it's controlled by a perfectly placed and perfectly designed little shifter. It also upshifts more quickly than the transmissions in the other cars and matches revs on the downshifts like a good driver would with a true manual.

At the track, that drivetrain combines with the M's big 19-inch wheels to get the sedan from zero to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds, and through the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds at 99.6 mph. Quick by anybody's standard.

Likes to Turn
Infiniti backs up that thrust with a firmly tuned suspension and excellent balance. The M45 is built on the newest version of Nissan's Front Midship platform, which also forms the basis for the Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35 Coupe. It places the engine behind the axle point of the front suspension for improved weight distribution and better handling. The result is a sharper turn-in than you get in the Lexus or the Acura, and a sedan that tackles a mountain road like a car half its size.

Quick steering and a very powerful set of four-wheel disc brakes, which stop the M45 from 60 mph in just 111.9 ft., also make this the car to take on a late-night run up Mulholland. Infiniti has also equipped the M with an active rear-steering system, which attaches an electrically powered actuator to the lower links of the rear suspension and adjusts the rear toe up to 1 degree in either direction depending on speed, yaw angle and whether the car is entering or exiting a corner.

But the best thing about the Infiniti on a curving road is that you can turn off its stability control so a skilled driver can push the car to its maximum. The stability control on the Lexus cannot be disabled, and the Acura's all-wheel-drive system makes it hard for the car to respond to advanced driving techniques.

With its stability system off, the M45 is downright tossable.

Has a Hard Edge
The trade-off for all of this fun is a bit less refinement than is found in the Lexus, and a lot fewer luxuries than the same money gets you in the Acura.

Compared to those cars, the M45 is noisy on the highway, its steering can feel a bit raw around town and its suspension is the only one that crashes over large road irregularities. Our tester, which cost $600 more than the Acura, was also a little light on the luxuries, with no navigation system, no satellite radio and no wood trim. These items cost extra on the Infiniti, but they're standard on the Acura.

With that said, the Infiniti is comfortable enough to drive from Maine to Miami. Its firm seats are infinitely adjustable, universally comfortable and bolstered more heavily than the bucket seats in the Lexus or Acura. Overall, the M's interior is well built and attractive, but its décor can be a bit busy compared to the simpler Lexus. The Infiniti's seats are covered in two kinds of leather; its dash wears two kinds of aluminum trim, plus chrome; and the Infiniti name and logo are embroidered on the seats, which borders on tacky.

We eventually made peace with the orange night lighting of the gauges, but never really got used to the keyboard of buttons and the giant **** that works the climate controls and the trip computer. We do, however, like the way the rocker panels light up at night. Cool touch.

In the End
And so the M45 lands in third place, albeit by just a few points. If its superior driving dynamics and Infiniti-G35-meets-Infiniti-FX45 styling appeal to you, this car can be purchased without shame.

Old 03-01-05, 11:53 PM
LexFather

Second Opinions

Editorial Director Kevin Smith says:
A final-tally spread of only a couple points suggests how tricky it can be to resolve fine issues of trade-off. For example, the Acura RL represents an efficiency play I really respect, its V6 delivering perfectly adequate commuting performance. And yet I'd like to get more motor if I could. What's that worth in a numerical score?

Similarly, the Infiniti M45's faintly rowdy edge is cool, but do I want to live with that in a luxury sedan? And how do I adjust numbers to capture that ambivalence?

But the Really Big Deal in this test, for me, was the Lexus GS 430 and its undefeatable stability control. I love the polish Lexus typically works into its products, the silence inside, the carefully considered resistance of buttons and switches, the precisely damped movement of ashtray covers, fercrissake.

However, shouldn't something that calls itself a sporting sedan allow me to accelerate hard out of a corner on a smooth, snaking road? The GS' electronic nanny will have none of it, holding off on the power until I'm well clear of the turn. That's a disturbing shortcoming, and I want to punish the car for it. Now, it's true that on my drive to work, I'm not very often trying to barrel around a bend with the throttle buried. And on balance, I'd still rather live with the daily driving experience the Lexus gives. So yes, it got winning points from me. But not as many as it should have, darn it!

Senior Road Test Editor Ed Hellwig says:
As if my rapidly thinning hair wasn't enough, now I have yet another sign that I'm getting old. It hit me after we were forced to choose which one of these sedans we would buy with our own money.

The Acura was never a contender. It was forgettable before and only slightly less so now. Its all-wheel-drive system is impressive, allowing you to keep pace with cars that should be faster, but the overall driving experience remains sterile. The interior has some style and the stereo will split your eardrums open like a coconut, but my enthusiasm just wasn't there. Same goes for the exterior styling.

On paper the M45 looked right, and in person it looked even better. It gets the "most like a BMW" award for its aggressive lines and stylish wheels. The engine rips, the tranny is tuned just right and the suspension feels like a sport sedan should. There's not much wrong with the interior either, but the gauges reminded me of those in the Altima and the overly complicated dashboard is annoying.

I wasn't expecting much from the GS, as Lexus leans toward luxury more often than sport, but this GS got to me. The interior is uniquely detailed, comfortable and ergonomically perfect. Its shape isn't as dynamic as the M45, but from most angles it's undeniably elegant. It lacks the raw feedback of the Infiniti yet keeps you in touch enough to feel involved. The stability control is an annoying black spot, but you have to really push to make it matter.

In other words, the GS is perfect if you're willing to forego the last 10 percent of the performance envelope. In years past that 10 percent is all I cared about, but at my advanced age that other 90 percent is looking more important all the time.

Old 03-01-05, 11:54 PM
LexFather

Stereo Evaluations in Car Tests. Car radios have come a LONG way

2006 Lexus GS 430

System Score: 10.0

Components: Our GS was equipped with the top-of-the-line Mark Levinson audio system. This is the first car to feature Mark Levinson's Premium Surround System and its components list is an alphabet soup of advanced digital technology. We couldn't possibly list everything here, but the speaker array consists of the following: four 25mm tweeters, five 65mm midranges, four 16cm woofers and one 25cm subwoofer. Mark Levinson claims that this system is the only surround-sound system specifically designed for an automotive application. It supports CDs, CD-R, DTS 5.1 CDs, DVD Video, DVD Audio and DVD-R. As advanced as this system is, we found the controls easy to use whether you're using the steering wheel controls or the center stack display.

Performance: There are several systems on the market today that can be justifiably called faultless and this system is one of them. No matter where you're sitting or what kind of music you're listening to it all comes through in perfect detail. Dig into the menu and you can fine-tune the listening environment to suit particular tastes, but left alone it rarely suffers any noticeable defects. Bass is tight, accurate and never overbearing while highs come through with flawless accuracy. Crank it up and it never loses its ability to generate strong, distortion-free sound that completely envelops driver and passenger alike.

Best Feature: Easy-to-use interface that doesn't detract from the listening experience.

Worst Feature: Only comes bundled with navigation system.

Conclusion: Yet another top-of-the-line factory system that redefines the limits of automotive audio technology. — Ed Hellwig

2005 Acura RL

System Score: 9.0

Components: This high-tech audio system is no mere add-on option for audiophiles and tech junkies, it is a highly advanced surround-sound system that has been integrated into the design of the cabin and is standard equipment on the RL. Components include an in-dash six-disc changer that can play DVD-Audio, CD, MP3 and WMA media. The tuner utilizes Centerpoint logic software to provide true surround sound to all five seats when used in combination with DVD-A files, and it can simulate the surround-sound effect with standard CDs. Audiopilot software adjusts the audio signal in response to exterior noises, and Active Noise Cancellation technology dampens road and miscellaneous cabin noise as the car travels down the road. Ten speakers are employed throughout the cabin, including a 6.5-inch full-range speaker in each door, a 1.5-inch tweeter in each front door, a 2.5-inch twiddler centered in the middle of the dash, two more 2.5-inch twiddlers in the rear package tray and a 9-inch woofer behind the backseat. A total of 250 watts drives the system.

Performance: Sound quality is absolutely stunning, especially when the signal comes from a source designed specifically for surround-sound systems such as a DVD-A or one of the many XM music stations. Clarity is astounding and the array of speakers placed throughout the cabin really does emulate the feeling of sitting smack-dab in the center of a concert hall (or in our case a mosh pit). The 9-inch sub doesn't crank out quite as much bass as we'd like without distortion setting in, but that was only a problem when we had the heavy metal station on XM cranked waaaay up. Considering that most RL buyers will probably prefer Amadeus to Air Supply, the RL's Bose system is top-notch.

Best Feature: The combination of true surround-sound technology and the high-tech wizardry of active noise cancellation.

Worst Feature: Main control dial can be cumbersome to use until you get the hand of its multifunction design.

Conclusion: Acura has not only introduced one of the finest and most technologically advanced stereos in the world, it has made it standard equipment. True music fans rejoice, your chariot has arrived. — Dan Kahn

2006 Infiniti M45

System Score: 7.0

Components: Our M45 was somewhat of a stripper. Not only did it not have the top-of-the-line 14-speaker 5.1 Bose audio system, it didn't even have the optional midgrade eight-speaker setup. What it did have was a six-speaker base system with an in-dash six-disc changer and steering wheel audio controls. We liked the general layout of the controls with its large control ***** and easy-to-use preset buttons. Auxiliary controls are bundled into the upper display screen, but once everything is set you don't need much more than the steering wheel controls to sift through stations or CDs. One smart design feature we noticed was the angle of the CD slot. It was tilted in such a way as to make inserting CDs over the automatic shifter handle easier — a nice touch.

Performance: Given that this was the base system of a three-system options list, its sound quality was pretty impressive. It produced good vocal clarity on softer tracks and decent bass and separation with heavier songs. Like most standard systems, sound quality starts to go down as the sound levels go up. In this case the bass gets muddy on the low end and you start to lose separation at the high end. There's not much power to spare either as the sound quality drops off once you get much past halfway.

Best Feature: Controls are right where you want them and don't take a manual to figure out.

Worst Feature: Only good to about halfway up the volume dial.

Conclusion: A solid base system with plenty of functionality and acceptable sound quality, but upgrading to the eight-speaker system is something worth considering even if you don't consider yourself a serious audiophile. — Ed Hellwig

Quick Reply: 50K sport sedans comparo (ACURA RL, M45 and GS430)