Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Microwave "gun" could end police chases

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-05, 04:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied

Not too long ago the news reported that the traffic signal-changing device that emergency vehicles have was available to the public.
All you need is a regular high frequency strobe light to aim at the traffic lights with those devices. Ooops did I say that?
Old 03-04-05, 05:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
All you need is a regular high frequency strobe light to aim at the traffic lights with those devices. Ooops did I say that?
yeah, high frequency strobe light is all you need.

in fact, if you wanna try, at a light that hardly turns green, try to flash your high beam couple of times fast, you might be surprised i know coz' i tried it couple of times before already
Old 03-06-05, 04:15 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

well what about this... the cop aims, fires, misses, and zaps the wrong vehicle... who's responsible for reapairs, or liable for the accident or death that may occur because of it... or what if the the beam takes out more than just the intened vehicle???

and I'm sure 20 yrs from now,.. they're gonna say microwaves cause cancer,... what' about health concerns??

I'd bet that there's gonna be a counter measure to such, and it'll backfire on police....
Old 03-06-05, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
well what about this... the cop aims, fires, misses, and zaps the wrong vehicle... who's responsible for reapairs, or liable for the accident or death that may occur because of it... or what if the the beam takes out more than just the intened vehicle???

Yes....definitely. This is a good question.............and it ties in with my earlier post about the tricky questions of liability if police DO hit the right car and IT goes out of control and causes damage or injury.

This is not necessarily fact.....just my opinion at this point.....but I think what will eventually happen is that police will be exempt by law from liability in many cases ( probably not all ) and insurance companies will just have to pick it up as an additional cost of doing buisness. That, of course, could mean higher premiums.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-05 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 07:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadd
Imagine if this thing falls on the wrong hands! If people start to get them (ebay), road rage will be taken to a next level.

Seeing as this was invented over 80 years ago........ probably not an immediate threat. Read up on Nikola Tesla's ray gun.

http://www.crystalinks.com/nicola.html

NEW YORK TIMES - December 8, 1915:

'It is perfectly practicable to transmit electrical energy without wires and produce destructive effects at a distance. I have already constructed a wireless transmitter which makes this possible, and have described it in my technical publications, among which / refer to my patent number 1,1 19,732 recently granted.

With a transmitter of this kind we are enabled to project electrical energy IN ANY AMOUNT TO ANY DISTANCE [HAARP's output is a full gigawatt, b] and apply it for innumerable purposes, both in war and peace.

Through the universal adoption of this system, ideal conditions for the maintenance of law and order will be realized, for then the energy necessary to the enforcement of right and justice will be normally productive, yet potential, and in any moment available, for attack and defense. The power transmitted need not be necessarily destructive, for, if distance is made to depend upon it, its withdrawal or supply will bring about the same results as those now accomplished by force of arms.'"

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-06-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 07:58 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time I rob a bank, I'm driving this.

Old 03-06-05, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97

and I'm sure 20 yrs from now,.. they're gonna say microwaves cause cancer,... what' about health concerns??

I'd bet that there's gonna be a counter measure to such, and it'll backfire on police....
ummm, to make it easier first, what if the spike stripes they use now blow the tires off another car? do they pay for the damage? if so, that means they should pay for the damage of the victim cars then