Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Microwave "gun" could end police chases

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 09:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Microwave "gun" could end police chases

March 1, 2005

Pasadena, California - A system being developed by Eureka Aerospace in California may help stop criminals in their tracks and avoid police chases, its developers say.

James Tatoian, chief executive of Eureka, says the High Power Electromagnetic System is designed to disable cars, such as those fleeing police, using bursts of microwave energy.

"Since the 1970s, every car is built with some sort of microprocessor controlled system," says Tatoian. "The ignition control and fuel pump control a lot of vital car systems. If you introduce a parasitic current into their wires, it leads to a power surge which in turn burns out those microprocessors." Once the car's chips are disabled, the vehicle will gradually slow to a halt.

Tatoian says the company's experimental device isn't the first or only system designed to attack cars. Other companies have developed similar concepts and prototypes; like Eureka, they are partially funded by a U.S. military research project that seeks to study the feasibility of "less than lethal" weapons. But Tatoian believes his designers and researchers have come further in terms of power, portability and usability than other solutions.

The device, still in development, weighs about 90 kg and fits inside a car, with its microwave antennae mounted on the roof. In tests, it produced enough power to burn out chips in cars up to 100 metres away.

source : canadiandriver.com
Old 03-02-05, 09:40 AM
LexFather

Its the police version of Fast and Furious II......

So basially they will hit your car with a device that will cause damage or say, taking the key out going at speed. So brakes lock, everything turns off, car doesn't shift.......

CHAOS...

Old 03-02-05, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its the police version of Fast and Furious II......

So basially they will hit your car with a device that will cause damage or say, taking the key out going at speed. So brakes lock, everything turns off, car doesn't shift.......

CHAOS...
...........or steer. When the power-steering pump shuts off a car becomes very hard to steer.
Some cars, like the Saturn VUE, get around this with electric power-steering pumps.

I like the concept of police microwaves in general, but there are going to be some tricky legal measures to address here.....like who is responsible if the police zap a car and that car kills, injures, or destroys property because the driver could no longer control it.

This is one of the main reasons we don't have steer-by-wire cars today with a little drivers' stick instead of a steering wheel, even though the concept has been around for a long time, and GM actually has done steer-by-wire concept cars. No one wants to address the liability problems if the system f - - - s up and the car becomes uncontrollable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 10:07 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine if this thing falls on the wrong hands! If people start to get them (ebay), road rage will be taken to a next level.
Old 03-02-05, 12:53 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cadd
Imagine if this thing falls on the wrong hands! If people start to get them (ebay), road rage will be taken to a next level.
that would be great. definetly would mount one on my hood
Old 03-02-05, 01:34 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Who will reimburse me for my fried 4-figure Lexus ECU when I get hit by a stray "bullet"?
Old 03-02-05, 01:52 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Who will reimburse me for my fried 4-figure Lexus ECU when I get hit by a stray "bullet"?
Ditto. Don't think I'm gonna be forking out 2G's for that.

-Anthony
Old 03-02-05, 02:38 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

It sounds like a good idea in theory but there are too many unknowns when using a system like that. Way too dangerous to impliment.
Old 03-02-05, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I remember a story that came out of either Scotland or Northern England a few years ago when a police cruiser experimenting with a similiar device almost got hit with an air-to-ground missile when the device's frequency attracted a missile that had just been fired by a Royal Air Force Harrier jet doing training manuvers. The missile veered off its intended course, and luckily the pilot was somehow able to disarm it and prevent it from hitting the police car.
Old 03-02-05, 05:01 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I know that's not supposed to be funny mmarshall but I got a chuckle. I wonder how close that missile got before it was disarmed? I bet they would have freaked out if they saw a missile headed for their cruiser. I would have.
Old 03-04-05, 10:54 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can see it now
"cops zap man's pacemaker during police chase. Suspects still at large"
Old 03-04-05, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sounds like a good idea in general but i am not sure how feasible it is, considerig all the issues you guys have mentioned... on any automatic car, shutting down the car will lock everything up right the way right?

F&FII in reality...
Old 03-04-05, 01:08 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

I think this is why it is still called "experimental' and in "development". This is just an early generation of this technology that will be improved over the course of the next decade to make it workable in the future.
Old 03-04-05, 03:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Puts a new concept to the word "Nuke em!"
Old 03-04-05, 03:42 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cadd
And you know it will!

Not too long ago the news reported that the traffic signal-changing device that emergency vehicles have was available to the public.

Quick Reply: Microwave "gun" could end police chases