Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Announced 2 New Model Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 10:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default BMW Announced 2 New Model Series

March 3, 2005

Geneva, Switzerland - BMW announced the development of two new BMW brand model series at the International Motor Show in Geneva yesterday.

"We are using the strength of the BMW Group and pushing emphatically ahead with the extension of the vehicle range," said Helmut Panke, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG. "We will be further expanding with two completely new, independent model series, and thus continuing the profitable growth of the BMW Group."

Although the models were not specifically named, one has the working title "space-functional concept" and will be developed to consumer preferences for a higher seat position, the driving properties of a sports passenger car and the appeal of a coupe, with an interior spatial design combining variability and functionality.

BMW used the Geneva show to premiere the new generation of the BMW 3 Series, the revised BMW 7, the BMW M6 and an engine variant in the BMW 130i.

source : canadiandriver.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody heard of more info about them ?
Old 03-03-05, 10:38 AM
LexFather

Thanks. From my understanding, it will be a BMW VAN! No joke, a van, with sliding doors. This caused huge issues inside BMW but some felt it was an untapped market as SUVs and cross-overs are becoming saturated. THought they'll probably call it a cross-over.

THe other car should be a Z8 replacement. BMW acknowleges the SL 600/SL 55/65 have a market to themselves somewhat. They don't want to copy Benz but they want to enter that market (whatever that means).

Old 03-04-05, 01:28 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A BMW van. That should be interesting. No doubt it would be one of the better performance vans around if not the only performance van All BMW needs to do it get some reliability back into their product and I think many would go back to BMW. As it stands, most of the new BMW owners I know lease their BMWs so they really don't care what happens to the car after their lease is up.
Old 03-04-05, 02:00 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read the title, I was hoping they'd bring back the 8 series. Darn
Old 03-04-05, 03:14 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks. From my understanding, it will be a BMW VAN! No joke, a van, with sliding doors. This caused huge issues inside BMW but some felt it was an untapped market as SUVs and cross-overs are becoming saturated. THought they'll probably call it a cross-over.

THe other car should be a Z8 replacement. BMW acknowleges the SL 600/SL 55/65 have a market to themselves somewhat. They don't want to copy Benz but they want to enter that market (whatever that means).
I'm not sure about the sliding door part. I think the aim is for something like the Infiniti FX.

Lots of folks at the show were crowded around the SL65.
Old 03-04-05, 09:48 PM
LexFather

Old 03-05-05, 12:27 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ewww.

I don't think BMW's emphasis on handling and performance would appeal to potential customers of a van. Why would anyone want a non-handling BMW?
Old 03-05-05, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
ewww.

I don't think BMW's emphasis on handling and performance would appeal to potential customers of a van. Why would anyone want a non-handling BMW?
Well it may not matter. The X3 is PROOF, fools will buy anything with a BMW badge. That truck has been clowned by every automotive magazine here and in Europe. THe interior is horrific and cheap, its the worst handling and riding BMW and its overpriced.

But its selling near 5k a month and the reason BMW sales overall are not down. This SUV offers nothing over the competition besides the badge.

So a BMW van will sell, b/c its a BMW, even if it turns out crappy.

Old 03-07-05, 03:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

After looking at THIS POS, I am so speechless I am going to do something I rarely do on the CAR CHAT forum...............
...................Shut up

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-07-05 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-07-05, 04:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
After looking at THIS POS, I am so speechless I am going to do something I rarely do on the CAR CHAT forum...............
...................Shut up
Yea, while still like the concept idea of a BMW van, these bangles looking BMWs just aren't cutting it. Only the 3 series seems aceptable in terms of style. Well, the front end of the BMW 6 is nice, and the rear is finially gorwing on my as well.
Old 03-07-05, 10:07 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe BMW should focus on improving its product reliability before launching POS new models.
Old 03-08-05, 11:49 AM
LexFather

BMW's new people carrier project. The six-seater family machine will be based on the newly launched X3 off-roader, and will pitch the firm into all-new sales territory. Latest computer images of the small people carrier, allegedly called the “V3” or “RFK” (Function Space Concept). Styling in the new 1-Series flame surfacing, this is BMWs second model to enter the MPV market. It's being developed in response to the growth in popularity of the mini-MPV market, which has yet to welcome the still-secret B-Class from BMW's arch rival Mercedes in 2005. Interior will be borrowed from the new 1-Series including the iDrive system. Company insiders are keen to point out that while the car will go head-to-head with popular mini-MPVs such as the Renault Scenic and Vauxhall Zafira, it will also make the most of the X3's highly developed platform to deliver impressive handling, as well as secure all-wheel-drive traction. What's more, it's instantly recognisable as a BMW, thanks to the influence of controversial head of design Chris Bangle. A choice of 6-Seat cabins will be offered, with greater luxury & individual passenger space, the rear seats can be folded flat to give optimum rear load space if necessary. Engine choices will follow the forthcoming 1-Series with top selling cars expected to have the 2.0 litre diesel or 2.2 litre petrol engines. Debut model to be shown at the 2007 Geneva Motor Show, with production to start in 2008.

BMWs forthcoming people carrier with seven seats & suicide rear doors, allegedly called the “V3” or “RFK” (Function Space Concept). Styling in the new 1-Series flame surfacing with radical new doors, this is BMWs first ever MPV. Interior will be borrowed from the new 3-Series including the iDrive system. Also four-wheel drive, using the X3 & X5s xDrive system. A choice of 6 or 7 seat cabins will be offered, with greater luxury & individual passenger space, the rear seats can be folded flat to give optimum rear load space if necessary. Engine choices will follow the forthcoming 3-Series with top selling cars expected to have the 2.0 litre diesel or 2.2 litre petrol engines. A new 2.4 litre four-cylinder valvetronic petrol unit is also tipped to be a huge favourite. Six cylinder 2.6 litre & 3.0 petrol engines will also be offered, whilst diesel fans will be catered for with 3.0 litre & 3.5 litre V8, which debuts in the new 5-Series. Prices are expected to start at £26,000 & will take on the forthcoming Mercedes R-Class & Audi Q7. BMW promises it will be a great drivers car, with near-perfect weight distribution, while steering & handling balance will be up to the dynamic standards we have come to expect from BMW. Debut model to be shown at the 2007 Geneva Motor Show, with production to start in autumn that year.

Old 03-08-05, 12:52 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Do BMW guys even like these cars???

James
Old 03-08-05, 04:07 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

As one of those BMW guys, yeah I guess I do. (Been doing Bimmer work since 97) Heres what I think. They need too slow down. They are trying to cover everything. I agree with many above post as they need to ensure reliabilty as opposed to variety. Minivan, that would prolly sell well with high income soccer moms and the 1series will be big in europe. Im still not a fan of either. They should market the Mni as the entry level. This wont hurt 3 series sales.Yes bring back the 8 series but marketing that with the m3 and m6 would prolly cause a massive markup in price like z8. They are becoming "the ultimate driving machines" that also have minivans and economy cars. There benchmark cars I hope they keep it that way. There losing it. At least they have killer warranties. And I have been driven insane hp supras porsches and ferraris. A bmw still brings the biggest smile to my face. Except the x3 that car blows.
Old 03-08-05, 06:03 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

Well it may not matter. The X3 is PROOF, fools will buy anything with a BMW badge.

So a BMW van will sell, b/c its a BMW, even if it turns out crappy.

1000000000000000000000000000000000000% agreed with you.

Quick Reply: BMW Announced 2 New Model Series