Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

need some advice - dealing with dealership / manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 02:23 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice - dealing with dealership / manufacturer

Here is the skinny:

Bought my 1998 Mitsu Montero Sport new in 8/98. No problems at all until 1/02, at 58K miles. The A/C compressor locked up, and I paid $2,400.00 to replace the compressor, clutch, & misc. A/C parts at a dealership here in Dallas.

11/02 at 67K, another A/C failure, and a 2nd compressor & clutch were installed, under warranty from the 1/02 service

2/03 at 70K, another A/C failure, and a 3rd compressor & clutch were installed, along with a new receiver/dryer unit. comp/clutch were at no charge, receiver/dryer cost me $200

this past week, 3/05, another A/C failure at 94K. Dealer now tells me since the 12 month / 12K mile warranty is up form my 2/03 service date, I should pay for the new compressor, clutch, & receiver/dryer unit, estimated at $1,700.00.

I'll do the math for you...3 years, 36K miles = 4 A/C compressors & clutches, & 2 receiver/dryer units not counting the original ones on the car when I bought it!

I spoke to the Svc Mgr, and he agrees that this is unusual, but is telling me that the warranty "is what it is", and that there is not much he can do.

My question to you guys is, what can I do? I have an 800# to Mitsubishi Customer Service that I am going to call, but I'd like som ideas / advice on how to handle this situation. The truck has to last me through this year (until December), but I hate to stick $1700 into it, and then trade it in or sell it out right with no idea how long the A/C is going to last.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

David
(missing the reliability of my GS terribly....)
Old 03-03-05, 02:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 99GS300
Here is the skinny:

Bought my 1998 Mitsu Montero Sport new in 8/98. No problems at all until 1/02, at 58K miles. The A/C compressor locked up, and I paid $2,400.00 to replace the compressor, clutch, & misc. A/C parts at a dealership here in Dallas.

11/02 at 67K, another A/C failure, and a 2nd compressor & clutch were installed, under warranty from the 1/02 service

2/03 at 70K, another A/C failure, and a 3rd compressor & clutch were installed, along with a new receiver/dryer unit. comp/clutch were at no charge, receiver/dryer cost me $200

this past week, 3/05, another A/C failure at 94K. Dealer now tells me since the 12 month / 12K mile warranty is up form my 2/03 service date, I should pay for the new compressor, clutch, & receiver/dryer unit, estimated at $1,700.00.

I'll do the math for you...3 years, 36K miles = 4 A/C compressors & clutches, & 2 receiver/dryer units not counting the original ones on the car when I bought it!

I spoke to the Svc Mgr, and he agrees that this is unusual, but is telling me that the warranty "is what it is", and that there is not much he can do.

My question to you guys is, what can I do? I have an 800# to Mitsubishi Customer Service that I am going to call, but I'd like som ideas / advice on how to handle this situation. The truck has to last me through this year (until December), but I hate to stick $1700 into it, and then trade it in or sell it out right with no idea how long the A/C is going to last.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

David
(missing the reliability of my GS terribly....)
Well it looks like your following the escalation process. So complain to customer serrvice and ask for a 1 time Customer Satiisfaction credit, where they pay for the charges b/c of the issue/hassle/defect. THey might not do this but you can only try. The other thing is maybe buy the parts yourself (cheaper) and have them install. Or maybe get an independent shop to do it.
Sad story, hope something works out.

Old 03-03-05, 03:34 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Sometimes I miss the old days of V-belts where if the A/C compressor locked up, you would just remove the belt and it wouldn't spin anymore.

Do they have any idea why it's locking up again and again?
Old 03-04-05, 09:18 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Sometimes I miss the old days of V-belts where if the A/C compressor locked up, you would just remove the belt and it wouldn't spin anymore.

Do they have any idea why it's locking up again and again?
That is my biggest complaint, and what I told the Service Manager was my concern. Nobody seems to be interested in why this keeps happening, they just want to throw new parts into the car. I think I have run into a combination of bad parts and improper installation, but I can't prove anything.

As an update, the Mitsubishi 800# to customer service was actually helpful. They quickly documented my situation, opened a Case File, and sent the info to the Regional Service Manager to review.

My hope is that he takes care of the parts, as the dealer already offered up free labor (3 hours at $60/hr = $180)

I am supposed to hear a decision early next week.

Thanks for the help, and I'll keep you posted!

David
Old 03-07-05, 09:53 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

update on my situation....

The Service Manager from the dealer called me Friday. No new offer on OEM parts, still no charge on laber ($180) and 10% off OEM parts (about $150 savings). He said he spoke with the Regional Service Manager, and they both agreed that since the last repairs (2-28-03), the parts lasted 2 years and 24K miles, so they don't see any reason to offer anything additional. He also told me that he had done some resaearch and found aftermarket parts (A/C compressor, clutch, receiver & dryer) that would save me about $700 off the OEM parts, but they do not come with any warranty.

Can you believe that ANY dealer would offer up non-OEM parts? With no warranty? I was floored.

He said he was just trying to save me some money, to which I responded this isn't about the money, it's about fixing my car properly. He then told me, well your truck is 7 years old and has almost 100K on it.......

I almost dropped the phone. I asked to speak with the Regional Svc. Mgr., and he called me back about 20 minutes later.

He admitted that most likely the early failures were due to not replacing the receiver / dryer unit, but since they did that on 2-28-03, and everything stayed together for 2 years, It is obviously not related to the earlier failures..

He wasted another 20 minutes of my time and made no offers, so I asked for his boss to call me back. That was Friday afternoon, and I have not heard form what I assume is an Area Service Manager.

Stay tuned for more drama / details....

Old 03-07-05, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One thing that is hard on compressors is simply not using them for long periods of time. Most vehicle Owners' Manuals have a clause in them saying to run the A/C compressor at least 5-10 minutes a week even if the weather is cold outside and you don't need A/C. This helps keep the compressor and seals well-lubed and in good working order. In most vehicles heat can be added to the vents with the temperature control so you don't have to endure a cold draft. And in some vehicles, the compressor comes on automatically with the windshield defrost to provide a source of dry air...but you need to add some heat to prevent the window from chilling down. Some cars will lock out the compressor under 40 degrees or so, so obviously there is nothing you can do then....you just have to wait for it to warm up.

Anyhow, the next time they are finished working on your car, try running the compressor regularly and see if that helps.
Old 03-07-05, 11:53 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing that is hard on compressors is simply not using them for long periods of time. Most vehicle Owners' Manuals have a clause in them saying to run the A/C compressor at least 5-10 minutes a week even if the weather is cold outside and you don't need A/C. This helps keep the compressor and seals well-lubed and in good working order. In most vehicles heat can be added to the vents with the temperature control so you don't have to endure a cold draft. And in some vehicles, the compressor comes on automatically with the windshield defrost to provide a source of dry air...but you need to add some heat to prevent the window from chilling down. Some cars will lock out the compressor under 40 degrees or so, so obviously there is nothing you can do then....you just have to wait for it to warm up.

Anyhow, the next time they are finished working on your car, try running the compressor regularly and see if that helps.
My car automatically turns on the A/C with the defrosters, so no matter how cold it is outside, it runs. Thanks for the advice, but under use of the A/C is not the issue. I don't think it is over used either, but I do live in Texas, so Summer time means the heat can be rather nasty.

I am not naive enough to never expect a car, no matter what make or model, to have problems, but it seems to me that the same problem over and over deserves a little attention. 4 A/C copmpressors and clutches, and 2 receiver/dryers in 3 years and 36K miles seems excessive to me.

Problems are expected, but the way that they are handled makes the difference in Customer Service in my opinion.

Thanks again!

David