Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Losing the Luster

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 10:27 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Dang Look at Land Rover, they're at the bottom of the list.
Well, I'm not picking at Land Rover but it was funny to see a rear-view mirror literally fall down and the lady driver was holding it in her hand. She almost got into an accident by not paying attention to the road and had to exit the freeway.

I also like the looks and styles of MB and BMWs but it's just their reliability issues that's a deterrent PLUS the major expensive repairs when the warranty runs out
Old 03-07-05, 03:51 PM
LexFather

Jeremy Clarkson actually had an article like "losing luster" last year in Top Gear. Its a worldwide issue. Mercedes Benz has some of the worst quality in Europe, the ML being the wost quality car every recorded.

And this is no longer a NEW issue. This is now 4-5 years old. German luxury cars for the most part are built sub-par. And they dont' seem to care about fixing it. They would rather make 600hp cars that they sell 50 of.

Old 03-07-05, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They would rather make 600hp cars that they sell 50 of.
........for obscene profits.
Old 03-07-05, 04:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

I think they new stuff is just pushed too far. My Bimmer has really been great. I have had a few things happen but nothing 220,000 miles won't bring on.
Old 03-08-05, 06:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I think they new stuff is just pushed too far. My Bimmer has really been great. I have had a few things happen but nothing 220,000 miles won't bring on.
Agreed. The 7 series has far more technology than the LS and this stuff breaks a lot. Especially when it is brand new. But you just can't beat the driving dynamics of a German car. Plus even with their "below average" reliability, they still don't end up in the shop that often. I know several people with new 5 series and X5s and they have never had their car into the shop (check that, the X5 just went in for rough shift while cold). But even if they have had it in there once, they are worse off than Lexus - and this will always hurt them in the ratings.