Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumor: 475hp, AWD, Retractable Hardtop, 1 year away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 11:02 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumor: 475hp, AWD, Retractable Hardtop, 1 year away?

Ok guys, not trying to troll here, but my wife is looking into buying a new Infiiniti M45, superb car if you ask me.

While test driving the salesperson started mentioning the new Skyline GTR.

I don't believe a word of it, but the figures he quoted were:

$50k (for the fixed roof version)
475hp twin turbo V6
AWD
Awesome birds-eye nav system plucked out of the M45
Awesome soundsystem plucked out of the M45 (equals the Gen II ML system in the GS430 IMHO)
Legendary Skyline GTR handling
Release date of exactly one year after the M45, which is about a year from now.

and the cincher for me...

They'll have a retractable hardtop version...(to follow probably 6 months later)...

Now personally I can't find a bloody bit of solid information on what he says will be brought to the states and simply called the 'GTR'.

I'd expect his numbers to be a bit off, and the retractable hardtop version (if they do actually make one) to be upwards of $75k, probably $85k fully loaded.

But OMG that sounds like my dream car, serious serious horsepower, incredible handline, awesome nav, soundsystem, interior, and a retractable hardtop...Man I hope they make it!!!

On the other hand I test drove a Mercedes SLK350 this weekend. Wickedly fun car, handles like a dream, great ride quality, HK soundsystem was adequate but not even ML 1st gen quality, nav system was at best 'usable', interior quality was better than the old ones, but certainly not lexus standards, and the ergonimics were horrible. The buttons were absolutely unreadable and very hard to see which one was which.

The 7 speed tranny was superb, and made wicked use of every bit of that car's 268 horsepower. The AMG version will be amazing, but I don't know if I can pay $70k for an inferior interior and inferior ergonomics, lose my back seat (cargo area), and the ability to raise/lower the top from the remote while walking away. (With the MB you have to sit 2 inches from the door handle, and hold the button on the remote for the entire 22 seconds, not just click and go like I have on my modded SC430 now).

But damn the handling was nice, power was great. Tough decision, but I am considering giving up my SC430 as I miss the power and handling of my supercharged Z06.
Old 03-07-05, 11:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

1. Last time I heard, new GTR will be a 2008 model, probably available some time in 07.

2. I don't usually trust car salesmen for accurate info about cars

3. GTR is supposed to be a pure performance car, so it isn't a SC430(luxury cruiser) competitor.

4. If I want a true performance car like a GTR, I won't be interested in an overweight hardtop convertible form, I just want a straight coupe weighing as little as possible.
Old 03-07-05, 11:24 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

1> He said one year away, but I can't believe the car is that close without any solid info leaking out.

2> Agreed, I don't believe a word of it until I get some secondary confirmation...But I do have my hopes up...

3> Personally I'm pissed at Lexus for not having a performance division. I've done everything I can within reason to get my SC430 to handle better, and while the Tein CS is a huge improvement, it's just not enough. Drove that SLK350 yesterday and loved the handling and power, the AMG55 version will be wicked fun, but damn the interior/nav/soundsystem/ergonomics would be a step down from the SC430, I'm sooooo spoiled. =)

4> I already have a 700hp supercharged Corvette Z06 in the garage, but it's silly to have over $100k worth of vehicles sitting there when it IS possible for one vehicle to fulfill all my needs. http://www.dozer.com/z06
Old 03-07-05, 11:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Latest news on GTR : It may be badged a NISSAN ?

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
Posted Date: 3/7/05

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. is on track to badge its high-performance Skyline GT-R sports car in North America as a Nissan, not as an Infiniti.

A brief debate erupted within the company over the car's U.S. badging. Some argued that Infiniti needed a performance car, whereas the Nissan brand already has the 350Z.

"The decision is not made," said Carlos Tavares, Nissan's vice president for the product strategy and product planning division. But he added, "If we don't change the specific target customer" for the Skyline GT-R, "it will be a Nissan."

source : http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101927

BTW, even if they make a hardtop convertible conversion of the GTR, I doubt it will have an interior that'll match the level of luxury & refinement in the SC430 . It adds weight you know, & that car is supposed to be heavily emphasizing towards performance
Old 03-07-05, 11:58 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Woo! Thanks for the link! Exactly the type of info I'm looking for...

No, I don't think the GTR will have an SC430 quality interior. The SLK55 certainly doesn't, but I'm willing to give up a bit of interior quality, ergonomics, soundsystem quality, and nav system quality for a ton more HP and handling...

Can't wait to hear more about these new toys coming out...I'm hearing BMW is *FINALLY* making an MZ4 too...
Old 03-07-05, 01:38 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Sign me up!
Old 03-07-05, 02:52 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes i tend to just ignore what enticing facts car salesmen think they seem to know about new vehicles. One told me that they a person had already purchased the new lexus supercar with around 400hp that ran as a hybrid?
Old 03-07-05, 02:59 PM
LexFather

My 2 cents. The GT-R is a wonderful car, but much more well known with people that can't buy it, the Grand Turismo crowd.
Nissan has a problem here.
1. The NIssan Skyline GT-R IS the name for the car up until it got discontinued. Its a pretty well known name within car circles.
2. Infiniti has hardly any name or brand. And for those that do, they expect luxury and sport. So if they badge it an Infnitii, they will need to add 300 lbs of luxo items to make it worth the price tag. Leather, Nav, noise isolation, thicker carpets, wood, etc etc.
3. At that point, its not a GT-R anymore. And the R34 was heavy enough as it is.
4. GT-R customers are concerned about PERFORMANCE. But will they drop 50-60k for a Nissan?

Either way, I cannot wait for this car to hit the states. And I would MUCH prefer it be what is SHOULD be a Nissan Skyline GT-R. I hope people in America are not scared away from this car because it maybe a NIssan. It is surely to be an incredible car.

Old 03-07-05, 04:21 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I agree with Sick in that most of the people interested in this car are too young to afford one. I honestly don't believe a word that the salesman told you because there would be more info leaked out about it, especially the hardtop converible, and release date. Side note, I've seen your Z06 all over the internet, absolutely love it.

James
Old 03-07-05, 04:32 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My 2 cents. The GT-R is a wonderful car, but much more well known with people that can't buy it, the Grand Turismo crowd.
Nissan has a problem here.
1. The NIssan Skyline GT-R IS the name for the car up until it got discontinued. Its a pretty well known name within car circles.
2. Infiniti has hardly any name or brand. And for those that do, they expect luxury and sport. So if they badge it an Infnitii, they will need to add 300 lbs of luxo items to make it worth the price tag. Leather, Nav, noise isolation, thicker carpets, wood, etc etc.
3. At that point, its not a GT-R anymore. And the R34 was heavy enough as it is.
4. GT-R customers are concerned about PERFORMANCE. But will they drop 50-60k for a Nissan?

Either way, I cannot wait for this car to hit the states. And I would MUCH prefer it be what is SHOULD be a Nissan Skyline GT-R. I hope people in America are not scared away from this car because it maybe a NIssan. It is surely to be an incredible car.
I'd rather they badge it an Infiniti. Here's why:

If they badge Infiniti - they'll be able to pick up the entire possible market for this car. Let's say Nissan offers the GT-R as an Infiniti w/ all the luxo items - gauges response - and, if necessary - releases a track version with a slightly different designation and total buyer customizability. You might even offer a dealer-installed Nissan-badge conversion.

Of course - this would require that Nissan design the car with the potential for a luxury model (which could get pricey). If the price of developing an Infiniti-worthy car is greater than projected sales - you can bet on seeing it state-side with a Nissan badge.

That's how I see it.

M.
Old 03-07-05, 05:27 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Infiniti succeeded in creating a luxury sport sedan with the M45. That thing weighs a ton with all its luxury amenities yet it still outperforms the GS430 and RL. I have no doubt in my mind that nissan can make the GT-R an infiniti because they know how to balance luxury and high performance.

I agree that no one in their right mind would buy a nissan for 50-60k. I dont think nissan is stupid enough to do that since the tt Z wasnt a success as well as the toyota supra. No one will buy a nissan for this price, no one will buy a toyota for this price, and no one will buy a honda for this price. The GT-R should be an infinti period.
Old 03-07-05, 07:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

From what I have read the GTR will come out in 2007 or possibly 2008 with ether a twin turbo VQ v-6, v-8, or turbo v-8. Some are speculating that the U.S. might get a V-8 since Americans won't generally pay high prices for a 6 cylinder performance car except for the 911 and the rest of the world would get a turbo v-6. The suspension is supposed to be handled by Lotus and the engine tuning is supposed to be handled by Cosworth. One problem I have read is that the VQ v-6 block is not well suited to high horsepower and FI causing a delay in launch. From some of the stories of people turboing their 350Zs and cooking their motors they need to strengthen the internals on the engine and may have to use cast iron to be able to handle the power. Horsepower is supposed to be anywhere from 375-450. 475 hp sounds a little high and the hardtop the salesman is talking about is most likely the M45 coupe that Nissan says they are most likely making. Most say it will come out as an Infiniti since people are not going to pay $50,000+ for a Nissan. A less expensive model may find its way to Nissan. They do not need to load the GTR up with luxury features and heavy sound deadening material. The NSX, Corvette and 911 do not have luxurous interiors but do have power everthing and nav systems etc and they do not weigh much. People are going to buy the GTR for looks and performance not how cushy the interior is. Pricing is supposed to be around twice the cost of a Z car which would be 60-70 grand and the performance target was said to be the 911 but they did not specify which model 911. I would rather see them tune or turbo their v-8 instead of the VQ v-6 since it seems like a better performing motor and they have not exploited its potential. The VQ is in minivans, Altimas, xterra, g35 etc and sharing a lesser motor with lesser cars can turn off potential customers in the high dollar car market. Hopefully it will not dissappoint but I am starting to lose interest in this car considering how long it is taking to come out.
Old 03-07-05, 08:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I also read they were going to try electric turbos to eliminate turbo lag for the new GTR but I have not heard anything more on that. I guess some kind of an electric motor to spool turbos constantly instead of using forced air.
Old 03-08-05, 05:42 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

No damnit. They need to keep it a Nissan. Have customers take it to Infiniti for service, but do not let it carry the Infiniti flag.

Hell, I'd pay $60K for a Nissan-badged supercar.

And a retractable hardtop doesn't make much sense...this is supposed to be a supercar and having any sort of collapseable roof means less ridgid structure. Plus, it would probably look stupid.
Old 03-08-05, 12:02 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
No damnit. They need to keep it a Nissan. Have customers take it to Infiniti for service, but do not let it carry the Infiniti flag.

Hell, I'd pay $60K for a Nissan-badged supercar.

And a retractable hardtop doesn't make much sense...this is supposed to be a supercar and having any sort of collapseable roof means less ridgid structure. Plus, it would probably look stupid.
I'd agree with you - but I'd prefer that it last in the U.S. for more than two model years ...

I'll probably want one.

M.

Quick Reply: Rumor: 475hp, AWD, Retractable Hardtop, 1 year away?