Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Questions regarding ordering a new Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 10:48 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well, in terms of custom order, i don't think lexus is too into that, coz' that will in some way jack up the production cost. when we were shopping for our sc430, we wanted to get the while on black combo. it's available as a choice on lexus.com, but there has never been one made and shipping here (at least the western coast).

i asked around, and all said that in order to get one, i will need to special order it, which means a 3 months wait easy, and then i have to pay msrp instead of the price i paid for white on saddle.

so that's the catch. one thing i want to "suggest" you is that most sales tell you they can do anything, you tell them to fly and they will tell you they can fly. but if you really sit down with them and start doing something very custom to your needs (especially in this case where it's something they don't have), you will start hearing a lot of things. you never know until you really go through the process
Honestly the Germans have the custom ordering down to a science. I friend of mine custom ordered his X5 and had it 9 days later. Granted the X5 is made here, but even if it was made over there, the wait is normally less than 3 weeks.
Old 03-09-05, 11:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Honestly the Germans have the custom ordering down to a science. I friend of mine custom ordered his X5 and had it 9 days later. Granted the X5 is made here, but even if it was made over there, the wait is normally less than 3 weeks.
Yeah, from the Euro delivery to custom options, Lexus is not even close. They (Germans) offer so many different configurations its amazing. From paint colors to leathers to wood options.

Old 03-09-05, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
That really sucks with Lexus if it's really the case, & the white/black SC430 combo is NOT a custom order at all. If you're willing to wait 2-3 months for th car, the car doesn't even exist yet in Japan & I'm pretty sure the black interior is a very common choice compared to the other colors & should be readily available to install. The customer is forced to wait for a color combo that they advertized as available but yet isn't & is also made to paid more(MSRP) on top of the wait ? I can't buy that line of reasoning at all Total BS !!
it is available, like i said you can get that done on lexus.com. but this must be some sort of regional order or something, for example in the west you never see is300 with 16s all season. in the west you never see sc430 that's not fully loaded.

another example was that on the 03 is300 sport design, in the initial allocation, NONE of the grey interior with 5 speed and nav were allocation to the west until quite late.

so whoever made those decisions makes this whole thing a lot more complicated, and thus the ordering game. apparently say for me to order sc430 white on black, the dealership will indeed have to fill out some paperwork and communicate with the corporate on the order. so basically it's just like a custom order
Old 03-09-05, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
..............even with a TransAtlantic crossing on a container ship?
Old 03-09-05, 01:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
..............even with a TransAtlantic crossing on a container ship?
I don't buy the 9 days wait for custom ordered cars either. My relatives have custom ordered Benzes & BMW's, unless they can find the car from other dealers, or able to trace one that matches that are already being made but not here yet, a car that's really customed ordered from the factory which does not even exist yet will typically take at least 2 or 3 months.
Old 03-09-05, 01:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
. . .so whoever made those decisions makes this whole thing a lot more complicated, and thus the ordering game. apparently say for me to order sc430 white on black, the dealership will indeed have to fill out some paperwork and communicate with the corporate on the order. so basically it's just like a custom order
My point is it's THEIR FAULT that the combination is not available, they deserve(in fact should be oblighed) to do the extra paper work to get what their customer deserves, & YOU AS A CUSTOMER should not be penalized for having to pay MSRP AND wait due to THEIR IMPERFECTIONS.
Old 03-09-05, 03:06 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful replies/feedback. I'll be sure to post my dealership experience when it comes time to "order" my GS430.