Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW: Lexus is not in big league yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 10:57 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone notice that more and more manufacturers are taking cheap shots at Lexus?
I think this is a really good sign that Toyota is right on their tail

Can't really imagine Lexus (a relatively low production premium brand) taking over Europe, especially in Germany and beating BMW and MB is sales numbers. That task is for Toyotas.

That is like asking Audi to sell more cars in USA than Ford.
Old 03-10-05, 12:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpa2400
Read up on Toyota Production Systems some time.

This is why I say I doubt they will ever really do build to order.

This system is why they have more cash on hand then the big 3. It’s also why their quality is so top notch.

Part of TPS, using Lean manufacturing principles is setup time. They get the cars set, and run big batches. More setup’s and tooling changes, the more room for error etc etc etc…

Just .00001 of what TPS is, but it is what makes Toyota\Lexus so damn strong.

Build to order not only will raise the prices, but also bring down quality (the last thing you want in a 100k supercar)

If anything they will package it like they do the LS now. With one model being loaded. Want it? Take it or leave it. Choice in 1 tone less of brown isn’t going to stop someone from buying the car.
Yes, that's true ... I agree. The comment I made is that I could envision Lexus doing that because if you know about the first gen LS, Ichiro Suzuki himself said that the Toyota Production Systems were not good enough for the LS. Suzuki wanted almost impossible quality on the LS, which goes against Toyota's traditional model.

Lexus also has recently stated they do not want to raise volume much higher ... they want to get the prestige and quality even higher ... moving upscale .... and you can only do that with limited volume.

Thus, a "Super LS" would be a very limited volume car, and would make sense considering recent comments from Lexus.
Old 03-10-05, 01:07 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texan629
I think the europeans will continue to support thier own machinery.I dont think the europeans want thier streets looking like chinatown.
That is very stupid and racist. Lexus is Japanese, not Chinese. I am disappointed to see such an ignorant/racist comment here at CL.

Last edited by BrickHead; 03-10-05 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 01:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BrickHead
That is very stupid and racist. Lexus is Japanese, not Chinese. I am disapointed to see such an ignorant/racist comment here at CL.
His comments will be edited.

Old 03-10-05, 01:18 PM
xioix
Racer

BMW and MB sells more 4cyl diesel econmy cars than real luxury cars
Old 03-10-05, 01:41 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
Look, what he said is factually correct. Currently, Lexus doesn't have NEARLY the cache of BMW and MB as a GLOBAL brand. That may and probably will change in the future, but that is still how it stands now.
Yes, that's true but they haven't even tried. That's where my problem with him is. That's like me saying BMW and MB are failures in the pickup market game. Hell they haven't sold one in the entire world. That means Toyota must be a better company.

James
Old 03-10-05, 03:51 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

It is a matter of time as well all suspect.
The reliability is one aspect that will take hold once it has been experienced.

By entering this market I wonder if at some point there will be a Euro design team for Toyota/Lexus. This would be an interesting mix when combined with the North American and European markets at some point.
Old 03-10-05, 04:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RA40
It is a matter of time as well all suspect.
The reliability is one aspect that will take hold once it has been experienced.

By entering this market I wonder if at some point there will be a Euro design team for Toyota/Lexus. This would be an interesting mix when combined with the North American and European markets at some point.
In reading and talking to people in European forums, it seems Leuxs is a very hot buy on the used car market in Europe. You can get them for a good price and people have heard about how reliable they are. I think the used Lexus will really help the brand as word of mouth spreads more and more. Keep the Lotus for the weekends and a nice Lexus for the weekdays.

Old 03-11-05, 08:28 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In reading and talking to people in European forums, it seems Leuxs is a very hot buy on the used car market in Europe. You can get them for a good price and people have heard about how reliable they are. I think the used Lexus will really help the brand as word of mouth spreads more and more. Keep the Lotus for the weekends and a nice Lexus for the weekdays.

The best new cars make the best used cars. That was a line Toyota uses for their used cars. I had a co-worker back then who had a neighbor sold their 1993 ES 300 for like $7,000 and a year later that same neighbor sold it again for like $6,000. I was like wow, Toyota/Lexus can be resold many times and still hold it's value. Since their cars are very reliable you don't really have to worry to much about major problems. I wonder what is the most times a single Toyota/Lexus car has been resold?
Old 03-11-05, 08:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
That is very stupid and racist. Lexus is Japanese, not Chinese. I am disappointed to see such an ignorant/racist comment here at CL.
Ignorant statements by ignorant people. I agree with you.
Old 03-11-05, 09:51 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

When I read stuff like this it reminds me of a quote, "The guy who says it can't be done is usually passed by the guy doing it"

This is no different then when the Domestic said years ago that the Japanese could never make a decent family sedan, now the domestics are saying they are focusing on their Trucks, yeah cause they lost the cars to the imports.

They would not say anything about Lexus if they did not consider them a threat, the Lexus Dealerships here are getting much bigger then the BMW dealers

I never thought I would really love Lexus like I do, BMW is just not doing it for me
Old 03-11-05, 10:25 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by jpa2400
Read up on Toyota Production Systems some time.

This is why I say I doubt they will ever really do build to order.

This system is why they have more cash on hand then the big 3. It’s also why their quality is so top notch.

Part of TPS, using Lean manufacturing principles is setup time. They get the cars set, and run big batches. More setup’s and tooling changes, the more room for error etc etc etc…

Just .00001 of what TPS is, but it is what makes Toyota\Lexus so damn strong.

Build to order not only will raise the prices, but also bring down quality (the last thing you want in a 100k supercar)

If anything they will package it like they do the LS now. With one model being loaded. Want it? Take it or leave it. Choice in 1 tone less of brown isn’t going to stop someone from buying the car.
You might want to read up on Toyota's NA operations. Since 1997 they have been working on a completely built-to-order system for all of their NA-built cars, using Dell PC as an example. The program should have been online last year, but I guess they're still working on it. It is being piloted in several US and Canadian dealerships, though.

A number of other companies, including Ford and Nissan, are working on similar systems. There have been a number of articles written in recent years stating that automakers see built-to-order as the sales method of choice in the future. It makes sense.
Old 03-11-05, 10:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EDGE2
When I read stuff like this it reminds me of a quote, "The guy who says it can't be done is usually passed by the guy doing it"

This is no different then when the Domestic said years ago that the Japanese could never make a decent family sedan, now the domestics are saying they are focusing on their Trucks, yeah cause they lost the cars to the imports.

They would not say anything about Lexus if they did not consider them a threat, the Lexus Dealerships here are getting much bigger then the BMW dealers

I never thought I would really love Lexus like I do, BMW is just not doing it for me
OMG, I love that quote, thanks for sharing

Old 03-11-05, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
)
The real question is......................is the guy doing it RIGHT?
One thing I learned years ago is that words are cheap. The proof is in the pudding.

Lexus, though, traditionally has made some pretty nice pudding.
Old 03-11-05, 12:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

One aspect of Toyota is that they have taken a relatively conservative line in promotions. The new GS is IMO one of the most assertive commercials (relative to Toyota) I have seen. The only other one was the second gen Camry with the V6 option. If they continue this modest approach, they will make the same inroads into the Eurpoean market. With 30+ years of sales data from North America, they will adapt readily.

There was great resistence to their products that they overcame when you think back. Now that is a tough market.

Quick Reply: BMW: Lexus is not in big league yet