Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW: Lexus is not in big league yet

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Default BMW: Lexus is not in big league yet

http://europe.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=55582

BMW: Lexus is not in big league yet
Toyota premium brand begins push in Europe

By Douglas A. Bolduc
Automotive News Europe / March 07, 2005

Toyota's Lexus brand is not yet a global player as a luxury marque, says German rival BMW.

"Toyota has lots of cash, but we are still waiting to welcome them in the premier league," said Stefan Krause, BMW board member in charge of finance.

BMW rivals such as Lexus, Saab, Infiniti and Jaguar are successful in one or possibly two key markets, but not globally.

Krause said only two premium brands can call themselves global: BMW and Mercedes-Benz. He pointedly ignored Volkswagen's Audi brand.

Stuart McCullough, Lexus Europe director, said: "We have a lot of work to do in Europe. But I hope people are starting to see where we are headed from our products and stand at the show."

As part of its ambition to catch BMW, Lexus aims to boost its sales in Europe, helped by its new IS lower-premium sedan, which debuted here with Lexus' first diesel engine.

The IS will go on sale in Europe with a new 2.5-liter, V-6 gasoline engine by the end of the year. A diesel version with a 175hp, 2.2-liter four-cylinder unit will follow early next year.

No build-to-order

Lexus aims to sell 65,000 cars in Europe by 2010. McCullough thinks the brand can reach that goal because of improvements to its powertrain options.

Besides offering diesel variants, Lexus plans to offer gasoline-electric powertrains in most of its models starting with the RX 400h, the hybrid version of its SUV, which goes on sale in Europe in June.

BMW's Krause said he will consider Lexus a true global rival when it has:

Designs that appeal worldwide

A consistent brand image in markets around the globe

A factory in Europe that can provide tailor-made build-to-order cars, which European premium customers demand.

Said McCullough: "I don't think build-to-order is the mark of a premium brand. We think there is room for us on the global stage.

Old 03-09-05, 03:06 PM
LexFather

So my thoughts.
1. No one knew who the fock BMW was in the 60s and 70s.
2 This is the same ridiculous arrogance that caught them in the 90s when Lexus hit the scene.
3. Its not just Lexus on the rise, almost every luxury company is much improved.
4. First the Audi guy then this BMW clown. Lexus is a threat clearly to them, or they would not have mentioned it.
5. Designs that appeal worldwide? Like Bagle creations? You can have it.
6. BMW makes most of their profit with sales IN AMERICA, where Lexus is beating them with sales. BMW is seen as common in Europe, not the Lords Chariot like some believe here.

Now don't get me wrong, he is right. Lexus has no M models, AWD just came out, you cannot custom order a Lexus with 10 different woods and leathers, no V-12s, etc. No SLR, No Z8s, no image boosters and 100k models.

But clearly, Lexus is #1 in America now. And he just shot at Lexus in Europe. And Lexus seems to have finally woken up there. Imagine what happended to BMW and Benz in America, happens to Europe in 20 years.

Old 03-09-05, 03:09 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is attitude like this that has caused the quality and design of BMW and MB to fall faster than superman jumping off the empire state building while wearing a kryptonite necklace!!

They wont have any respect for the comepetition until it is too late and they suddenly realize they have lost their global market share!!
Old 03-09-05, 03:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The BMW guy is right, I can't see Lexus having the same kind of sales success in Europe as in America, catching them & exceeding them in sales there, unless there is the widespread use of Lexus as taxicabs in Europe as with MB & BMW cars, I don't think that day will come.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-09-05 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 03:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Stefan Krause....so arrogant, so narrowminded, so pessimistic, so ignorant! Sounds familiar to that one dude from decades ago.
Old 03-09-05, 03:22 PM
MoFunk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
5. Designs that appeal worldwide? Like Bagle creations? You can have it.
HAHAHAHA ahh good call my friend.
Old 03-09-05, 03:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

BMW's Krause said he will consider Lexus a true global rival when it has:

Designs that appeal worldwide
One name, Chris Bangle.

Last edited by LexFather; 03-11-05 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 03:59 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

http://europe.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=55582

A factory in Europe that can provide tailor-made build-to-order cars, which European premium customers demand.

Said McCullough: "I don't think build-to-order is the mark of a premium brand. We think there is room for us on the global stage.
Lexus is JAPANESE! Their cars are built in JAPAN! Do BMW and/or MB have successful Japanese factories, and are they dominating the market moreso than Toyota's upscale cars? According to what I found online, absolutely not! So Lexus could make the same argument about the Germans not being global. What a douche, seriously. Lexus hasn't succeeded in Europe yet because they haven't been there. I'm not saying they'll do great but save the ignorance until you have some facts.

And why did he leave out Audi in his discussion??? They're as german as the other 2.

James
Old 03-09-05, 05:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by texan629
I dont think the europeans want thier streets looking like chinatown.
That's a pretty a racist comment. And i'm not even Chinese.
Old 03-09-05, 05:18 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Only time will tell, but i somewhat agree with krause. Lexus, as well as other luxury brands have a long way to go. Though maybe not as long for toyota/lexus Also remember that most bmws sold are cars. For lexus, the majority of sales consist of suvs (from the RX, GX, etc.) In Europe, they seem to like cars more..
Old 03-09-05, 05:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

BMW shouldn't be talking crap since they are producing some of the most hideous luxury cars inside/out.........BUT they do have a point. Lexus is not on the same level as MB and BMW.

IMO Lexus will conquer Europe in the next decade and will eventually be on a higher level than MB and BMW.
Old 03-09-05, 06:05 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is a threat clearly to them, or they would not have mentioned it.
totally
Old 03-09-05, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

The thing this clown forgets is that Lexus may go after EMERGING MARKETS more aggressively than Europe. Sure there's lots of money spent in Europe, but it pales in comparison with the potential of China and even India. And why would Lexus want a factory in Europe? So they could make cars more expensive with worse quality? Of course Europe protects its car brands with GIANT TARRIFFS so if Lexus gets "too big for Europe" they will no doubt slam even higher tarriffs on them.

As the 'electronics wars' continues, this will be the biggest challenge for BMW and MB. Can they actually make all that embedded software reliable? The Japanese have had DECADES of building reliable user friendly embedded consumer software, for Walkmans, VCRs, DVD players, game systems, and so on.
Old 03-09-05, 07:20 PM
gekisai29
Driver

if you have a lexus & love it why do you even care about this?
Old 03-09-05, 07:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Actually, BMW is building cars in China already as a joint venture with a local manufacturer. All the BMW's built there(3 & 5 series) are sold locally.Toyota also build cars in China as well, but not Lexus models.

Quick Reply: BMW: Lexus is not in big league yet