Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst dealership experience ever...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 12:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
umm..... not sure about super light. considering the size and the setup of the car, i just dont see it able to beat the slk at all. the slk is smaller, smaller, of course it's lighter
The SL name started as the 300SL (W198) in 1954. It was based on the 300SL race car which had gull wing doors to satisfy the race requirements to have functional doors. Since it had a tubular frame the doors had to open up, instead of out. It had a straight six. Beats me why people trace modern SL history back to this car, since it was a hard top and the SLs have far more in common with other earlier cars.

A guy in NY thought the 300SL was such a great car that he convinced Mercedes to make a production convertible version for him to sell. The 300SL was made until 1963. They were not popular and only built about 1,800 of them. Its 3.0l straight six made 215hp at 5,800 RPM. It was the world's first production car with fuel injection. I see claims of up to 150MPH top speeds for the production version, but I doubt this with only 215 hp and questionable drag coefficient for the convertible. It weighed about 2,800 pounds.

The less expensive 190SL (W121) was introduced in 1955. It had a 1.9 liter 4 cylinder with 105 hp at 5,700 RPM and went a little over 100MPH. It weighed about 2,500 pounds. It also was built until 1963, and 26,000 were made.

THe whole SL history is here

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sl/history.htm

Gotta go read, history buff=me

Old 03-11-05, 06:19 AM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default orginal SL

Not today's SL's and SLK's I mean the orignal SL 500 from the 50's or 60's with the gull wing doors. they were designed for racing and were made pretty light weight....

yippee!! now I have something to look up and research!!!!!

JOsh
Old 03-11-05, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its 3.0l straight six made 215hp at 5,800 RPM. It was the world's first production car with fuel injection. [COLOR=Blue]
First car with FI ? Maybe.
Depends on how you define 'production". The 1948 Tucker Torpedo, with a rear-drive fuel-injected, air-cooled, flat-six similiar to some pre-1997 Porsches, was planned as a "production' car, but only 51 were built, for a variety of reasons I won't go into here. It also was the first car to incorporate seat belts, a third, center-mounted center swiveling headlight, disc brakes, padded dash, and a number of other safety features that the public (and the car industry) weren't ready for.....until Ralph Nader came along in the 1960's.
Old 03-11-05, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its 3.0l straight six made 215hp at 5,800 RPM.
Also interesting that some 50 years after that engine, today's IS300 3.0L liter straight-six makes....you guessed it....215 HP.
Old 03-11-05, 07:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default "She said "brake", not "BREAK"!!

One of my business partners took her almost-new '93 300 CE into the dealership to have her brakes checked. Some half-wit mechanic jacked it up (using the wrong jacking point?) and broke the windshield. Very long story short, it cost her $1200 for a new windshield . . . plus the brake work - total about two grand. Naturally the dealer claimed she brought it in that way . . . sure, with her head sticking out the window so that she could SEE!

If it would have happened to me, I think they'd still be trying to clean up the bloodstains. Think I'll be buying anything from MB? Not likely.
Old 03-11-05, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
One of my business partners took her almost-new '93 300 CE into the dealership to have her brakes checked. Some half-wit mechanic jacked it up (using the wrong jacking point?) and broke the windshield. Very long story short, it cost her $1200 for a new windshield . . . plus the brake work - total about two grand. Naturally the dealer claimed she brought it in that way . . . sure, with her head sticking out the window so that she could SEE!

If it would have happened to me, I think they'd still be trying to clean up the bloodstains. Think I'll be buying anything from MB? Not likely.
man and she really paid?! that's the biggest BS i have ever heard man
Old 03-11-05, 12:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on how you define 'production". The 1948 Tucker Torpedo, with a rear-drive fuel-injected, air-cooled, flat-six similiar to some pre-1997 Porsches, was planned as a "production' car, but only 51 were built, for a variety of reasons I won't go into here. It also was the first car to incorporate seat belts, a third, center-mounted center swiveling headlight, disc brakes, padded dash, and a number of other safety features that the public (and the car industry) weren't ready for.....until Ralph Nader came along in the 1960's.
Didn't know that, thanks.

Old 03-11-05, 02:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A fairly good biopic of Preston Tucker, "Tucker: The Man and His Dream" (1988) will give you the Cliff's Notes version of the Tucker story. Coppola used several vintage Tuckers in the production of the film, and the cars are pretty amazing.
Old 03-11-05, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lil4X
A fairly good biopic of Preston Tucker, "Tucker: The Man and His Dream" (1988) will give you the Cliff's Notes version of the Tucker story. Coppola used several vintage Tuckers in the production of the film, and the cars are pretty amazing.
I actually love the movie. Seen it maybe a dozen times. Thanks, need to add to DVD collection

Old 03-11-05, 03:38 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dozer42
Just got back from the Mercedes dealership in San Francisco, that was by far the worst experience I've ever had with a dealership. The salesman was a complete and utter jerk (refraining from using more colorful language here), and at the end he flat out called me a liar and all but kicked me out of the place.

Why? Because I wouldn't buy his SLK55 on the spot after test driving it for $10k over MSRP.
You can stop right there. This is straight up a Northern California Thing. We had multiple discussion on this topic on buying Lexus Vehicles from Bay Area dealers as well.

Most of agree on one thing "go buy your car in LA and drive it back"

The Luxury Car dealers here just major SUCK!

The worst offender being BMW of SF.

Last edited by alexulan; 03-11-05 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-11-05, 03:41 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dozer42
I love the looks of the SL55, but the insane price and 4200+ curb weight is just stupid heavy.

I like the looks of the SLK55, but there's a lot of things NOT to like about the car: Ugly wheels (would have to change that), no Bluetooth availability (would have to change that), an extremely lousy nav system, interior isn't that great, no adaptive cruise control, and a dealer that's a total ***ktard.

There are some good things to it, 360hp, 370+ft/lbs torque, 7 speed tranny, nice ride, fair price, etc...

But, I just went for a test drive in a Cadillac XLR again, wicked car. Beautiful interior, superb handling with the magnetic suspension, only 40hp less than the SLK55 and about 3500lbs, fantastic soundsystem and nav system, adaptive cruise control, heated and cooled seats, HUD, and the dealer offered me $10k off MSRP without me even asking. Sales on the XLR have been VERY VERY slow and GM is cutting production in half.

I'd go for the XLR now, but the XLR-V is coming out in less than a year, 440hp Supercharged V8, still around 3500lbs, that'll blow the doors off the SLK and give me a happy medium between my 700hp Supercharged Corvette Z06 and my Lexus SC430.

Yeah, I could twin turbo the SC430, but once the money is put in you lose it, and that'd cost about $25k. I'd still have to improve the handling too. I love my SC, but it's silly to have $100k+ worth of cars in the garage when one will do.

What's really pissing me off is taxes though. I am NEVER going to buy another car again, ever. I'm planning on leasing for the rest of my life.

Why? Because when you lease a vehicle you only pay tax on the lease payment and not the entire vehicle. And that sure adds up when you're talking about $50k-$90k cars! With my Z06, the first owner paid $5k in taxes, he drove it 688 miles and I got it off ebay. I paid $4k in taxes, and it's now at 8500 miles. It's up for sale now, and the next owner will pay $5k in taxes.

I cannot understand why the GD government is making $15k on the Z06 when GM didn't even make that much!!!

Screw it, I'm leasing and only paying tax on the lease payment. That alone would've saved me over $5k in taxes over the past year or two, and that adds up to $250/month or so!!!
I'm not sure I see the tax advantage here. For instance, when I traded my Acura TL in on my RX330 it was a cash deal. I only paid sales tax on the difference in price not on the whole cost of the RX-isn't that the same thing? You aren't paying tax on the residual value of the car and neither am I.
Old 03-11-05, 04:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by alexulan
You can stop right there. This is straight up a Northern California Thing. We had multiple discussion on this topic on buying Lexus Vehicles from Bay Area dealers as well.

Most of agree on one thing "go buy your car in LA and drive it back"

The Luxury Car dealers here just major SUCK!

The worst offender being BMW of SF.
well those dealerships on stevens creek aren't much better as well. lexus of stevens creek is one of the better ones already
Old 03-11-05, 04:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jaydunn
I'm not sure I see the tax advantage here. For instance, when I traded my Acura TL in on my RX330 it was a cash deal. I only paid sales tax on the difference in price not on the whole cost of the RX-isn't that the same thing? You aren't paying tax on the residual value of the car and neither am I.
i guess it's cali, but as far as i know we don't pay tax only on the difference. when i traded in my TL-S for the is300, we paid tax on the full price, not the difference.

also, if you sell the car privately you lose that tax as well
Old 03-11-05, 04:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i guess it's cali, but as far as i know we don't pay tax only on the difference. when i traded in my TL-S for the is300, we paid tax on the full price, not the difference.
Wow, that really sucks we pay only on the difference. However , our tax rate is 14.5 %, & can be up to 17% with luxury tax
Old 03-11-05, 05:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Wow, that really sucks we pay only on the difference. However , our tax rate is 14.5 %, & can be up to 17% with luxury tax

i don't know, i hope i didn't iss anything

Quick Reply: Worst dealership experience ever...