Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AAA Challenges the EPA on Estimated Gas Mileage Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 02:42 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AAA Challenges the EPA on Estimated Gas Mileage Numbers

About time we see some truth in the gas mileage ratings I say! to AAA.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104936

Date Posted 03-09-2005

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Insurance giant AAA says the estimated fuel economy numbers posted on new cars are phony, and has released its own set of numbers for consumers, NBC News reports.

AAA says the federal government does not test cars in real-world situations, instead conducting tests in labs at speeds under 60 miles per hour.

There are substantial differences between the numbers put out by AAA versus the EPA's ratings.

A Chrysler PT Cruiser, rated by the EPA at 21 miles per gallon in city driving and 29 miles per gallon on the highway, received an average of 17.5 miles per gallon from AAA.

The EPA says it's reevaluating its fuel economy calculation. In addition, two members of Congress have introduced legislation to change EPA testing methods.

What this means to you: We're getting closer to the truth on what kind of gas mileage our cars and trucks really get now that AAA and Congress are calling the EPA to account.
Old 03-10-05, 03:00 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's one thing I've always noticed. Those are under extremely ideal conditions it seems and are always higher than normal. I wish they would do independent engine dyno tests too to prove how much power certain engines are making.

James
Old 03-10-05, 03:19 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that just means it will show some of the really low EPA MPG even lower, 3-4MPG hummer?
Old 03-10-05, 05:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
About time we see some truth in the gas mileage ratings I say! to AAA.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104936

Date Posted 03-09-2005

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Insurance giant AAA says the estimated fuel economy numbers posted on new cars are phony, and has released its own set of numbers for consumers, NBC News reports.

AAA says the federal government does not test cars in real-world situations, instead conducting tests in labs at speeds under 60 miles per hour.

There are substantial differences between the numbers put out by AAA versus the EPA's ratings.

A Chrysler PT Cruiser, rated by the EPA at 21 miles per gallon in city driving and 29 miles per gallon on the highway, received an average of 17.5 miles per gallon from AAA.

The EPA says it's reevaluating its fuel economy calculation. In addition, two members of Congress have introduced legislation to change EPA testing methods.

What this means to you: We're getting closer to the truth on what kind of gas mileage our cars and trucks really get now that AAA and Congress are calling the EPA to account.
Great find. Ain't it Toyota that wants to switch to Miles per Tank or something like that? Real world is always different, under most conditions your mileage will be worse. The only time your mileage is better is crusing 60mph on the highway.

Old 03-10-05, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't know why so many people have problems getting the EPA figures. Every car I have ever owned since EPA first started doing the tests has gotten pretty close to what the EPA rates it...both city and highway, unless the weather is very cold.....say 20 degrees or below.....with prolonged engine warm-ups. Even with the A/C on, (which sometimes runs in defrost, too) I've done pretty well. Of course, I usually drive alone, and don't have a lot of weight in the car besides my 280-lb. frame.

Maybe some people are just trying to have it both ways....trying to lead-foot it and get the EPA ratings as well. Problem is, it just doesn't work that way. You can have one or the other but not both....although really tall overdrive gears help somewhat.