Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Q7 to come with a V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05, 05:26 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Q7 to come with a V10

If it's the same V10 found on the Le Mans concept that produces 610-horsepower (!!) along with 533-lbs.-ft. of torque, the Q7 is looking to be the undisputed king of all Sports SUV's (okay so I know 1Sick's gonna chime in and say there ain't such a thing).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104941

Audi's New Cayenne Fighter Comes to Life

By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 03-10-2005

Although Audi has shown its upcoming Q7 sport-utility in concept form as the Pikes Peak and in a few vague teaser shots, Inside Line recently got to see it up close and in full production trim at an exclusive reveal hosted by Audi chairman, Dr. Martin Winterkorn.

After taking it in from every angle we can tell you that any fears that the Q7 would be nothing more than a reskinned Volkswagen Touareg or Porsche Cayenne can be dispelled.

Despite the fact that it shares the same platform as the SUVs from VW and Porsche, the Q7 rides on a nearly 6-inch-longer wheelbase that gives it a much leaner and more athletic appearance. Its overall dimensions give it the look of a tall wagon similar to the current allroad, but the Q7 is larger and better proportioned.

Closer inspection of the details reveals very few differences between the Pikes Peak concept and the production model. Up front, Audi's new design face is featured prominently with detailing so exquisite it almost looks too fragile for a production vehicle. Long LED turn signals sit just below the bumper while large air inlets assure plenty of air for the wide range of engines that will be available.

We expected that the Q7 would offer both V6 and V8 power, most likely variations of Audi's 3.2-liter six and 4.2-liter eight, but what we didn't expect was the addition of Audi's upcoming V10 power plant to the mix.

Johan De Nysschen, executive vice president of Audi of America, confirmed the news and wasn't shy about the reasoning behind the move. "The sportiest utility vehicle will no longer be sold at Porsche dealerships," he said with a smile.

De Nysschen also explained that although the Q7 will be capable off-road thanks to an adjustable air suspension and all-wheel drive, it was not designed to withstand serious off-road excursions. This allowed Audi's engineers to reduce the total weight of the platform by 330 pounds compared to the one used for the Cayenne.

We expect that a standard Tiptronic six-speed automatic will handle the shifting duties, but we did note the presence of two DSG-type paddle shifters on each side of the steering wheel so the Tiptronic box won't be the only one available.

Further evidence of the Q7's dedication to on-road performance could be seen in the 20-inch double-spoke wheels, each wrapped in low-profile 40 series rubber measuring 275 millimeters wide.

The interior of the Q7 mimics the new A6 in its overall design and feel. The driving position is more like sitting in a car than an SUV, again emphasizing performance over utility. Stadium-style second-row seats give rear passengers a good view and plenty of headroom and legroom, but foot room is a little tight. Third-row seating will be optional although, as with most vehicles in this class, there's only enough room for children.

The official debut of the Q7 is scheduled for the Frankfurt motor show in September with production starting a month later at Volkswagen's plant in Bratislava, Slovakia.
Old 03-10-05, 05:32 PM
LexFather

HA HA HA that is amazing! ITs too funny, the Germans are just battling for who has the largest ******* with HP and Lexus/Infiniti/Acura is just eating market share one piece at a time.

Is this the Gallardo engine? From my understanding Audi wants to use this engine in they're products but Lamborghini is very opposed. The next RS6 was to have this engine, but then, they said it would not fit.

I don't understand. Audi sells 77k cars here a year. BUilding a 100k SUV that only 500 will be sold does nothing for you.

I guess like Mr. Johnson says "Its because they can"

Old 03-10-05, 07:17 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down Who needs this? Did Audi miss recent projections on fuel prices?

What if it's a version of the Touareg V10? That would be

Built in Slovakia?
Old 03-10-05, 07:19 PM
BLexACK LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeee haw slap a v10 in my truck and lemmie kick some dust in yo eye! [insert dixie horn here]
Old 03-10-05, 09:11 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

The thing that I dont understand is why the germans have such a fascination for suvs (being aside that pretty much only north america purchases them). I would be surprised if anyone of them truly understood what my johnson is bigger than yours means.
Old 04-08-05, 05:37 PM
LexFather

Based on the Pikes Peak quattro concept revealed at the 2003 Detroit Motor Show Audi finally gets into the SUV arena although quite late in the game. Already we have seen the seeds being planted for crossover type vehicles to takeover when the overindulgent SUV loses its spark. Described by Audi as a 7 passenger "full-fledged off-road vehicle", the Q7 will debut at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show in September and go on sale in early 2006. The Q7 will be no slouch in the powertrain department starting with the base 3.2 liter V6. The highlighted engines will be the 4.2 liter FSI V8 which is found in the new RS 4 super sports saloon producing 420 hp and 317 lbs/ft of torque however the Q7 torque will be available lower in the rev range to compensate for the larger mass of the vehicle, towing and off-road capabilities. But just like Audi's German siblings (Porsche Cayenne Turbo and VW Touareg W12 Sport) who share the same basic platform the Q7 will receive a segment busting top dog engine which will be no less than a 5.5L FSI V10 producing 550 hp and 413 lbs/ft of torque. Porsche's Cayenne Turbo with the Tequipment program engine upgrade "only" gives 500hp. Granted the Q7 will be larger in size but rumor has it that the Q7 makes up for it in weight savings. The Audi Q7 production will be in VW's Bratislava plant in Slovakia along side the Touareg and Cayenne.

Old 04-08-05, 10:12 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i was felling the car (the front) until u showed a pic of the rear, to me, kinda ugly. im guessing those inner peices on the door hatch, they are trying to make it resemble the avant models from audi
Old 04-08-05, 10:50 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tetra7
The thing that I dont understand is why the germans have such a fascination for suvs (being aside that pretty much only north america purchases them). I would be surprised if anyone of them truly understood what my johnson is bigger than yours means.
Profit. I'm not sure why you single out the Germans, though. Lexus has 3. Acura 1, with another on the way. Infiniti 2. Americans have a bunch, and MB has 2, Audi 0, VW 1, BMW 2, Porsche 1. Doesn't seem like a disproportionate fascination to me.

Personally, I think all SUVs should implode.
Old 06-26-05, 11:23 PM
LexFather

ESTES PARK, Colo. — Rest assured, you don't have to worry that the Audi Q7 is nothing more than a reskinned Volkswagen Touareg or Porsche Cayenne.

Despite the fact that it shares the same platform as the SUVs from VW and Porsche, the Q7 rides on a nearly 6-inch-longer wheelbase that gives it a much leaner and more athletic appearance. Its overall dimensions give it the look of a tall wagon similar to the current allroad, but the Q7 is larger and better proportioned.

Closer inspection of the details reveals very few differences between the Pikes Peak concept and the production model. Up front, Audi's new design face is featured prominently with detailing so exquisite it almost looks too fragile for a production vehicle. Long LED turn signals sit just below the bumper while large air inlets assure plenty of air for the wide range of engines that will be available.

We expected that the Q7 would offer both V6 and V8 power, most likely variations of Audi's 3.2-liter six and 4.2-liter eight, but what we didn't expect was the addition of Audi's upcoming V10 power plant to the mix.

Johan De Nysschen, executive vice president of Audi of America, confirmed the news and wasn't shy about the reasoning behind the move. "The sportiest utility vehicle will no longer be sold at Porsche dealerships," he said with a smile.

De Nysschen also explained that although the Q7 will be capable off-road thanks to an adjustable air suspension and all-wheel drive, it was not designed to withstand serious off-road excursions. This allowed Audi's engineers to reduce the total weight of the platform by 330 pounds compared to the one used for the Cayenne.

For more, read Inside Line's full story from Audi's Q7 first drive event.

What this means to you: The premium sport SUV market is getting more and more exciting for consumers.

Old 06-26-05, 11:42 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The front of that thing looks mean doesn't it?
Old 07-19-05, 12:03 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Spy video at Nurburgring from AutoExpress:
http://movies.autoexpress.co.uk/auto...0605AudiQ7.mov

Article:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/video_g...8/audi_q7.html

That's one SPORTS UV alright.
Old 07-19-05, 12:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I dunno but I see some resemblance.
Old 07-19-05, 01:32 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

there's been this unspoken hp war that the big 3 german car companies have been having and it's getting a bit out of hand.

The Q7 was the SUV that i was waiting for to see for my wife...it offers that all important piece of real estate, 3rd row seating that the other vag cars didn't have to offer. We'll see, audi is entering this SUV market a bit late so they better price this thing very competitvely.
Old 07-19-05, 08:19 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is an old thread, the q7 doesnt look like that from the rear, and is cmoing out as 1sick said, with the v6 and v8.... will offer the 550hp v10
Old 07-19-05, 09:53 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

rumor had it that the S version will have such a beast under the bonnet though

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 to come with a V10