Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports issues "Good" and "Bad Bets" on used cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gsfour
Why can't Germans make reliable cars? They've been in the car business a long time, right? People say, "German cars have the latest and greatest technology and hence more failures." I'm sorry, I don't buy that argument. If it doesn't work reliably, don't include the feature. Test and fix it for a later model before selling pre-alpha cars. Don't get me wrong...I like German cars for their performance and styling, but if they can't make it reliable...forget it.
Basically what has happened is that tough Japanese competition in the premium-car buisness has forced German manufacturers to lower their prices and cut costs...and they just have not been able to do this very well.

AUTOMOBILE magazine did an article in their latest issue on exactly this subject......"Losing the Luster". It covers the general decline in German quality but focuses primarily on Mercedes.

Audis and VW's, however, have never been particularly reliable since the mid-70's when they converted from air-cooled RWD designs to water-cooled FWD's.

It's on the magazine's web site but may not be accessable yet:
http://automobilemag.com/toc/0504_toc/
Old 03-12-05, 07:27 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Not a single Japanese car on the bad list and not a single European car on the good list.....
LOL!!! I was thinking the same thing. I'm just happy my car is on the good list. S2000 baby!!!

~Josh
Old 03-12-05, 09:08 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Audis and VW's, however, have never been particularly reliable since the mid-70's when they converted from air-cooled RWD designs to water-cooled FWD's.
i cannot list how many times I had to help my friend out with his VW Jetta VR6. But the older ones were fairly reliable. I also think the German parts suppliers had to cut down on quality, as they now have huge orders from Ford/GM/Hyundai.
Old 03-14-05, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
i cannot list how many times I had to help my friend out with his VW Jetta VR6. But the older ones were fairly reliable. I also think the German parts suppliers had to cut down on quality, as they now have huge orders from Ford/GM/Hyundai.

TRUST ME........some of the worst VW and Audi products ever built were mid-late 70's Dashers, Rabbits, and Foxes....right after they decided to do away with the air-cooled rear-engine cars.
Old 03-14-05, 10:03 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Chevrolet/Geo Prizm
LOL the only Chevy on the Good List is a rebadged Toyota Corolla.

The other Chevy's are on the Bad side.
Old 03-14-05, 03:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsfour
Why can't Germans make reliable cars? They've been in the car business a long time, right? People say, "German cars have the latest and greatest technology and hence more failures." I'm sorry, I don't buy that argument. If it doesn't work reliably, don't include the feature. Test and fix it for a later model before selling pre-alpha cars. Don't get me wrong...I like German cars for their performance and styling, but if they can't make it reliable...forget it.
I tell you that is a true argument. I think the new 7 has like 128 different motors on it - even the wiper blades adjust in angle. The LS just does't have that type of technology. Now I'm not saying you need this technology, but let me tell ya, it is cool

Case in point, the new GS is just now coming out with technology that was in the older 5 series. Did the older 5-series break more? Yep, but some of those features were very, very nice.