Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Questions about Mercedes Benz and how to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-05, 02:03 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about Mercedes Benz and how to buy

Guys I went to a local MB dealer today with my wife for some test drives. We drove the CLS500 and the CLK500. We both liked the CLK more than the CLS, its a very strong car. Even better would be a CLK55 AMG. Of course pricing is an issue.

I had a few questions.

1. Do all MB dealers charge MSRP or can you get closer to invoice.
2. Is there a good MB Forum, I found quite a few but I was wondering if there is one that is recomended by my friends.
3. If I can do better than MSRP is there a forum with some kind of Forum dealers that will give forum members a good price?

Thanks Morris
Old 03-12-05, 03:26 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

morris, I've always used Edmunds.com. Their "TMV" price is the average actual price people in your area have purchased that vehicle for. It's not some bogus number based on the asking price.
Old 03-12-05, 06:22 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

morris, edmunds.com is a good recommendation - I would take a look at Carsdirect.com, it will give you a ballpark no-haggle price and a "backup" in case you need to walk (and be prepared to walk). You can also try the "have a dealer call me" and generally I think you will be able to do better thru Internet sales guy (or girl).

When I bought my 2000 CLK320, I paid full MSRP for it because it was such an unobtainable car at the time... I ordered it in July 1999 and received it in November 1999. That was the first time I had seen, sat in, or driven the car... I would never do that again.
Old 03-12-05, 07:08 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I looked around on Edmunds at the TLD stuff but couldnt seem to get it to work properly. Froom what folks are telling me with MB you pretty much have to pay MSRP, if you ar elucky you might get them to come off a grand or so. I guess I will try the get adealer quote thing. I was really hoping to find a forum dealer for MB sort of like Longo is for us.
Old 03-12-05, 07:30 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

TLD heee heee hee, make that TMV I did finally get it working and as I suspected it looks like you only get about 1K offf of MSRP
Old 03-12-05, 07:50 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by morris
I was really hoping to find a forum dealer for MB sort of like Longo is for us.
Sorry I forgot to answer this before - I haven't been there for a while but try MBWorld.org
Old 03-12-05, 08:36 PM
MugenRD1
Rookie

Getting the CLK500 at invoice or even below is quite possible. The CLS500 is currenty sold at MSRP in California.
Old 03-13-05, 02:26 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Mugen do you want to point me in the right direction please, do you have any specifics in terms o fhow to secure invoice pricig, if I can do that maybe I could manage a amg for her.

MBworld was okay but there wasnt that much, I guess CL has spoiled me and definitely no delaers that I could see.

Last edited by morris; 03-13-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-13-05, 04:36 PM
gekisai29
Driver

m=b usually gets invoice or close to it on most models. try to wait till the end of the tear or special sale day promotions you will get in the mail now that you are in the dealers' system. this past december i was offered nice deals on clk convertible but i liked the sc & the price on it better
Old 03-13-05, 05:55 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gekisai29
m=b usually gets invoice or close to it on most models. try to wait till the end of the tear or special sale day promotions you will get in the mail now that you are in the dealers' system. this past december i was offered nice deals on clk convertible but i liked the sc & the price on it better

Doo you mean they ussually get MSRP or do you actually mean invoice? I only ask that you confirm because from what I am seeing they seem to ussually get MSRP from consumers.
Old 03-13-05, 05:58 PM
boostinsc4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
Sorry I forgot to answer this before - I haven't been there for a while but try MBWorld.org
he said a GOOD forum
Old 03-14-05, 11:52 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc4
he said a GOOD forum
.........you're mean boostinsc4

I was over there a couple of times too, but couldn't take the non-constructive remarks.
You just have to filter your reading. You're right about being spoiled here on CL

I have no facts either, just my prior experience morris.

Back in 8/00 when I was in the market for an 01 S500, I was able to get it for about $1000 off MSRP. I believe the S was in demand at the time b/c of the new body style introduced for 2000.

I kinda thought the CLK might have a price break b/c of the new CLS coming out. Yes, they're 2 different vehicles: 2 door coupe vs 4-door coupe (heard that on the commercial). , just thought more people would run over to the CLS. NOt sure, just an ***-umption

another one : benzworld.org
Old 03-14-05, 11:54 AM
LexFather

Guys I went to a local MB dealer today with my wife for some test drives. We drove the CLS500 and the CLK500. We both liked the CLK more than the CLS, its a very strong car. Even better would be a CLK55 AMG. Of course pricing is an issue.

I had a few questions.

2. Is there a good MB Forum, I found quite a few but I was wondering if there is one that is recomended by my friends.
3. If I can do better than MSRP is there a forum with some kind of Forum dealers that will give forum members a good price?

Thanks Morris
Morris, I know a couple guys at the Benz forum, www.mbworld.com, I'll see if they can help you out some...

Old 03-14-05, 12:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I had a few questions.

Thanks Morris
1. forget about invoice that never happens. but sometimes you can work on the msrp price a bit. but if you talk about cars like the amg, i don't think you must much room.

2. mbworld.org, imho the best mb forum out there already, and still it's slow as hell

3. there are some dealers on that forum i believe?
Old 03-14-05, 12:50 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

try mbworld.org, but use the search feature...most of the topics are heavily laced with ******ing and whining...

I personally would just go to the closest dealer, test drive till I found exactly what I want, research based on problems/issues, contact the internet sales/fleet sales person at the dealer around my area and start haggling...you may want to do some in-person haggling as well towards the end of the month...you never know what they are willing to take.

Quick Reply: Questions about Mercedes Benz and how to buy