Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera: MB CLS contender??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 01:46 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tetra7
You would think Porsche learned its lesson the first time with VW on the Toureg/Cayenne debaucle. VW's Toureg took off..the Cayenne..well uhh, let's try to keep it civil as Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear said it best.

The rumors I've heard bout this car..based on a modified Phaeton (which flopped miserably for VW) body...speculated V8.

The amusement factor should be high on this one.
The Cayenne is one of the top sellers for Porsche. I think they sell the same or even a bit more then the 997.
Old 03-16-05, 05:19 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe (please correct me if i have misspoken) that the Cayenne sells well in North America. As for the rest of the world, it didn't really catch on. There is even a running joke at the local Porsche store here about the Cayenne being that fugly.

At first, I was skeptical about the Phaeton but have you taken a look at the Phaeton and all the design criteria it was subjected too? During the 1st few design meetings, half the design staff left the room because the specs were too demanding. Porsche and VW have a very incestous relationship; I think it would be very unwise to let that type of engineering pass away without a critical review.
Old 03-16-05, 11:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tetra7
I do believe (please correct me if i have misspoken) that the Cayenne sells well in North America. As for the rest of the world, it didn't really catch on. There is even a running joke at the local Porsche store here about the Cayenne being that fugly.

At first, I was skeptical about the Phaeton but have you taken a look at the Phaeton and all the design criteria it was subjected too? During the 1st few design meetings, half the design staff left the room because the specs were too demanding. Porsche and VW have a very incestous relationship; I think it would be very unwise to let that type of engineering pass away without a critical review.
I see the Cayene pretty frequently over here.
I do think it sells well all over europe too.