Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well I saw my first Ridgeline on the road..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 05:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Scion xB, IMO, has ANYTHING from Honda beat for ugliness...including the Element.
Old 03-16-05, 05:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Scion xB, IMO, has ANYTHING from Honda beat for ugliness...including the Element.
You know, when those cars first came out I was all excited about them. I even thought about buying a xB. Now, the novalty has worn off and I don't really like them anymore. I wouldn't call them but ugly, but I can't imagine what I was thinking before. The only Scion I think is kind of nice is the tC, but I wouldn't buy any of them.
Old 03-16-05, 06:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

I haven't seen the Ridgeline yet, but I have to agree with you Mike, the Pilot, Element and CRV are sooooo butt ugly!
Old 03-16-05, 06:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes indeed!
Old 03-16-05, 10:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Well there's one thing the xB has beat on the Element, sales numbers.
Old 03-16-05, 10:22 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
CR-V, ugly, again, not even fully painted. This is just an ungainly beast, avg power, but it again, sells 100k a year.
CR-Vs do have painted bumpers.

And I agree, the Ridgeline will be difficult to market. They can't sell to REAL pickup truck owners who need their truck for work. I guess they're trying to maket it for your soccer moms who also want to haul around stuff (X-mas tree? stuff from Home Depot??).

Last edited by Cadd; 03-16-05 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-16-05, 10:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

No offense, but I can not associate "truck" with "Honda". I'm being a little ignorant by saying that this ridgeline is wimpy looking. However the thing that gets me is in their ad where it says that it's "re-invented". What do they mean? It's just a copy cat of the Chevy avalanche
Old 03-16-05, 10:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

And, Mike....that unpainted body cladding on the Element, CRV, and some similiar vehicles is not there just for "cheapness" sake. These vehicles are often operated in gravel, dirt, stones, salt, sand, abrasives, etc... and that vinyl / plastic cladding is there to absorb damage from road debris that would really do a number on painted surfaces there. In fact, I wish that the Subarus that I speak so highly of here on the forums would use a little more of it....they are driven under much the same conditions.
I never thought about that for the unpainted body cladding mmarshal. This is also why I really bash on the X3 unpainted bumpers
Old 03-16-05, 10:35 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whipimpin
I doubt any of those "SUV"'s you listed actually make it offroad. Even owners of "real" SUV's rarely - if ever - take their vehicles off-road. My brother's Cherokee has been off-road numerous times and - aside from a few minor full-length scratches (he thought it would be a good idea to squeeze between two trees - turned out it wasn't) - his truck has sustained minimal damage.
I agree, 99% of SUV owners do not see anything but local streets & the highway.

I think I may be that 1% who enjoys having a little fun sometimes. Don't get wrong, this isn't exactly a Rubicon trail. But at least, I don't mind getting it dirty.

Old 03-16-05, 07:11 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Someone on the NSX forums photoshoped this one.

Yikes!?!
Old 03-16-05, 07:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No offense, but I can not associate "truck" with "Honda". I'm being a little ignorant by saying that this ridgeline is wimpy looking. However the thing that gets me is in their ad where it says that it's "re-invented". What do they mean? It's just a copy cat of the Chevy avalanche
Like Cadd said before, they cant market to REAL truck owners but to those that need more utility. I'll call it a Utility Vehicle. Something like the discontinued Envoy XUV. As far as looks go I stated in this thread that it is serverly LACKING. There is nothing about the design that gets me excited or at least say "Thats Aight", or "Tepid at best". Its down right disgusting.(Rimjob..LOL )

I however will defend it on this though. In regular Honda fashion, they always find a way to improve on something even if to some will be quite useless.

1. Its built on a Unibody frame which I think is a first for a pick up truck which in return gives you a smoother car like ride(something Honda cant get away from)

2. 4wheel Independent Suspension which also gives you a smoother ride and maybe lighter wieght

3. In bed trunk - Theres basically a big compartment under the bed to store stuff.( Ive read somewhere that Toyota might use something similar or might use those ramps that they displayed on the concept Tundra last year)

4. Dual Access Tailgate - It can either swing down or to the side which might prove to be convienient to some.

5. Composite Cargo Bed - Already introduced on the Tacoma

6. A somewhat fuel efficient engine.

I personally dont think that is reinventing a pick up, however just making a pickup more car like and more tuned for on road duty instead of trying to excel in both on and off road(Sorta like what the Rav4 and RX300 did when they were first introduced). Somethings I do find to be creative like the In bed trunk and Dual tailgate thing, but everything else is kinda wack. These are the features that will make this truck sell, and the Honda badge.

This "Utility Vehicle" probably would be more widely liked by us enthusiast if the styling was A LOT better. Even Bangle is luaghing at this monstrosity.
Old 03-16-05, 08:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadd
I agree, 99% of SUV owners do not see anything but local streets & the highway.

I think I may be that 1% who enjoys having a little fun sometimes. Don't get wrong, this isn't exactly a Rubicon trail. But at least, I don't mind getting it dirty.
You change that tranny fluid and filter often?
Old 03-17-05, 03:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well there's one thing the xB has beat on the Element, sales numbers.
Part of that is price.....it undercuts the Element by several K on sticker price, which is not surprising when you look at the the amount of materials and factory labor needed to build each of these two vehicles. The Element is significantly larger and more complex....especially the rear seats and shelves....and has an AWD option.
Like the Element, though, the xB is selling mostly to a crowd whose average age is 10-15 years older than the marketers planned on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-05 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-17-05, 05:22 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I disliked the Honda Element when it first came out but now I like it, I even thought about getting one...but the Ridgeline is really ugly and the tailamps looks like it came out one of the full-size GM SUVs...
Old 03-17-05, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I disliked the Honda Element when it first came out but now I like it, I even thought about getting one......
It's a bargain for what you get......especially the AWD version. If you don't mind driving a box, it is extremely versatile, reliable, and can do many different things in one package.

Just don't expect it to appeal to Corvette and Viper people, though.

Quick Reply: Well I saw my first Ridgeline on the road..