Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well I saw my first Ridgeline on the road..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 12:30 PM
LexFather

Default Well I saw my first Ridgeline on the road..

So I am on I-20 going East and onto the merging lane, I see a giant, what looks like a damanged refridgerator on wheels. No joke. I look harder and see the giant H on the grill. Now the giant GMC or giant FORD badge on a nice big truck is slightly imtimidatng but, when I saw that big H, I thought of the word that also has OMO in it.

Its a big truck-thing, much bigger on the road than the pictures or ads. And the Rimjob was colored this ugly green, like a turd green, or a moss green color. Horrendous. The guy seems happy though, probably on the way to the "Dub" shop to add uglier wheels to an uglier truck (of that is possible).

I wanted to take a pic, but no way I was risking cracking the lense on my S70 taking a pic of that brute, butt ugly Rimjob.

Look, I can admit, the Toyota Echo, pretty ugly car. And of course the Aztek, Avalanche and others come into mind. Its AMAZING, how ugly some of these, or most of these Honda products are, and people buy them in droves b/c they are Hondas. IMO, all their SUVs look pretty Horrendous, the Pilot being the best b/c it looks like a giant Highlander (i.e bland).
Element, ugly, its not even fully painted. I think they sell 100k a year (it MUST drive GM and Ford nuts).
CR-V, ugly, again, not even fully painted. This is just an ungainly beast, avg power, but it again, sells 100k a year.
Rimjob, ugly, so ugly, just the thought of this truck makes me want to hurl. And we are going to see DROVES of them, simply b/c it has a Honda badge.

Anyone else seen a new Rimjob? Pretty ugly hug?

Old 03-15-05, 01:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

HAHAHA...Honda Rimjob. Anyway, yeah I saw a few of them. I know exactly what you mean that no matter how ugly it is, people are still going to buy it. It absolutely is ugly. Ive seen them, in the ugly green you are talking about, silver, and black. The black one that I've seen more than likely had the entire book of accessories on the thing. It had running boards, roof rack, a totally different grill(that considerably helped out the look on the front end), different rims and etc. It has a little potential but you have to spend probably 10grand worth of accessories just to make it look marginally better(which is not a good look if you ask me). I'm not a fan of pick-up trucks to begin with. So to me no matter what you do to it, its still not going to look that good. The only ones that I like a little bit are the Harley Davidson F150, Escalade pick up and Tacoma. Thats it. Everything else is butt azz ugly.
Old 03-15-05, 01:48 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone on the NSX forums photoshoped this one.

Old 03-15-05, 03:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

One word. FUGLY.
Old 03-15-05, 03:59 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the PERFECT set of wheels for it...

Old 03-15-05, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Element, ugly, its not even fully painted. I think they sell 100k a year (it MUST drive GM and Ford nuts).
CR-V, ugly, again, not even fully painted. This is just an ungainly beast, avg power, but it again, sells 100k a year.
Rimjob, ugly, so ugly, just the thought of this truck makes me want to hurl. And we are going to see DROVES of them, simply b/c it has a Honda badge.
I grant you the Ridgeline is not a beautiful vehicle but I can't agree that it is "Butt" ugly. I've seen LOTS worse-looking trucks....among them the Avalanche, Aztek, and the last-generation Blazer.

And, Mike....that unpainted body cladding on the Element, CRV, and some similiar vehicles is not there just for "cheapness" sake. These vehicles are often operated in gravel, dirt, stones, salt, sand, abrasives, etc... and that vinyl / plastic cladding is there to absorb damage from road debris that would really do a number on painted surfaces there. In fact, I wish that the Subarus that I speak so highly of here on the forums would use a little more of it....they are driven under much the same conditions.
Old 03-15-05, 08:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Honda Fridgeline anyone?
Old 03-15-05, 09:20 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Someone on the NSX forums photoshoped this one.

Man there is no way to redeem this POS...once again, no accounting for tastes esp for the ppl in north america *sigh*
Old 03-15-05, 09:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Whats messed up is that I would say Post 2001, I havent liked one Honda/Acura product(except the TL). All of the newer designs look absolutely horrible. What are they thinking over there. I used to love Honda like I loved Toyota, but not anymore. Nissan quickly filled that void.
Old 03-15-05, 09:48 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
that unpainted body cladding on the Element, CRV, and some similiar vehicles is not there just for "cheapness" sake. These vehicles are often operated in gravel, dirt, stones, salt, sand, abrasives, etc... and that vinyl / plastic cladding is there to absorb damage from road debris that would really do a number on painted surfaces there. In fact, I wish that the Subarus that I speak so highly of here on the forums would use a little more of it....they are driven under much the same conditions.
Are you joking? The roughest surface most Honda SUV's have endured (save for the Isuzu Passport) is an infrequent gravel driveway.

I doubt any of those "SUV"'s you listed actually make it offroad. Even owners of "real" SUV's rarely - if ever - take their vehicles off-road. My brother's Cherokee has been off-road numerous times and - aside from a few minor full-length scratches (he thought it would be a good idea to squeeze between two trees - turned out it wasn't) - his truck has sustained minimal damage.

If anything that dumpy unpainted plastic cladding is only a another useless "feature" selling point that Honda can use to sell the truck as something it's not; it's an image point - not a functional one.

The Ridgeline is a joke.

M.
Old 03-15-05, 10:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Are you joking? The roughest surface most Honda SUV's have endured (save for the Isuzu Passport) is an infrequent gravel driveway.

I doubt any of those "SUV"'s you listed actually make it offroad. Even owners of "real" SUV's rarely - if ever - take their vehicles off-road. My brother's Cherokee has been off-road numerous times and - aside from a few minor full-length scratches (he thought it would be a good idea to squeeze between two trees - turned out it wasn't) - his truck has sustained minimal damage.

If anything that dumpy unpainted plastic cladding is only a another useless "feature" selling point that Honda can use to sell the truck as something it's not; it's an image point - not a functional one.

The Ridgeline is a joke.

M.
I'm not even going to front, I think the both of yall are right. Volvo has the same type of body cladding on the Cross Country, but not as much on the XC90. The Cross Country is doused with the plastic cladding. Makes clean up real easy and has a durable look(its also extremely easy to fix if severely damaged unlike sheetmetal and cheaper), however most of the owners are using it as a vehicle to put the kids in and get groceries. They barely see a muddy road let alone off road. The body cladding is also used to portray masculinity or brawn to a certain extent. The XC90 which is already a truck, doesnt need to use such gimicks.
Old 03-16-05, 01:01 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, the Honda Ridgeline isn't aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but the Toyota X-Runner isn't that nice either and is practically as ugly. Trucks in general are not that nice to begin with so I figure most people buy them for their function.
Old 03-16-05, 03:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by whipimpin
I doubt any of those "SUV"'s you listed actually make it offroad. Even owners of "real" SUV's rarely - if ever - take their vehicles off-road. .

No...I was not joking. I meant EXACTLY what I said.....I was referring to road debris on PAVED surfaces, not off-road. I am well aware that only 5-10% of SUV's actually go off-road. ( More for Jeep Wranglers...25-30%)

If you drive almost any vehicle on roads that have been salted and sanded after a snowstorm ( the "sand" is actually more like small rocks and pebbles), you WILL get paint damage...especially from cars passing you and kicking that s - -t up with their tires.
The more of the vehicle is covered with non-paint cladding, the less damage there will be...or at least the less risk there will be.

That is why many people who want to keep their paint jobs nice simply don't drive on treated roads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-05 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-16-05, 04:23 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No...I was not joking. I meant EXACTLY what I said.....I was referring to road debris on PAVED surfaces, not off-road. I am well aware that only 5-10% of SUV's actually go off-road. ( More for Jeep Wranglers...25-30%)

If you drive almost any vehicle on roads that have been salted and sanded after a snowstorm ( the "sand" is actually more like small rocks and pebbles), you WILL get paint damage...especially from cars passing you and kicking that s - -t up with their tires.
The more of the vehicle is covered with non-paint cladding, the less damage there will be...or at least the less risk there will be.

That is why many people who want to keep their paint jobs nice simply don't drive on treated roads.
True.

I suppose I was a little intense.

I guess my thought now is: how far are you willing to go in sacrificing the appearance of your automobile? Would you prefer to get a dentented, worn, faded, black piece of plastic in 5 years over a dented, chipped, scratched and slightly faded paint job over the same period?

I choose paint. But that's just me. I live in S.C. and don't deal with cold, snowy winters - the consequent salt and a lot of road debris like you do.

M.
Old 03-16-05, 05:22 AM
ISC5
Driver

Congratulations Honda, you have now produced an Avalanche to go with your Aztek.

Last edited by ISC5; 03-16-05 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Well I saw my first Ridgeline on the road..