Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst re-badging attempts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 06:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I tend to agree with you on the Trooper question. CR is a reputable organization that does not do fly-by-night tests. I hope your brother was not hurt in that rollover.
He was alone and belted in so he was fine. His cargo was another and frighteningly different story. He had two racquetballs new in the tubes in his gym bag in the rear and they were found out of the bag and tubes, ripped to shreds as they were ground between the sliding SUV and the pavement. The racquet was destroyed as well.

It was a grisly reminder of what could have been. That racquetball ball could have been his head. He was a safe driver to begin with but the experience surely opened his eyes to how easy it is for it all to end in an instant.

Buckle up, people.
Old 03-17-05, 08:56 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great re-badge examples, and some interesting facts I was unaware of!

Thanks for contributing!

I saw a Mazda Navajo this morning (you know, the 2 door Explorer), and had to mention it as another example!

That Toyota Cavalier definitely wins 1st prize....
Old 03-17-05, 12:22 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager
Old 03-17-05, 01:05 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy When great little cars go bad!

My candidate for worst re-badge was the German (French, Belgian, etc. a truly European car) Opel. I had the pleasure of owning a bright yellow (blackout hood) Rallye - acknowledged as the "Original Super Coupe". A thoroughly delightful vehicle, it combined surprising speed and handling with gorgeous lines (remember this was the opera-window era), and great affordability. I've never owned a better, or prettier (in its era) sports car.

The Opel was sold by Buick dealers in the US until the deutschmark began to rise in relationship to the dollar. Buick went elswhere for an import and by 1978 rebadged this atrocity as an Opel:

A true "world car" GM sold this IZUZU as a "Buick Opel by Isuzu" - In the US it was also a Pontiac t1000, and a Chevrolet Chevette, in Japan it was the Isuzu Gemini, in Brazil it was a Chevrolet Chevette. In England, it was a Vauxhall Chevette, in Korea it was sold as the Daewoo Maepsy, and in Germany, just to add insult to injury, this unbelivable piece of junk was known as the "Opel Kadett".

I think that thing could even manage to make a Yugo or a Trabant look good!

Last edited by Lil4X; 03-17-05 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-18-05, 12:32 PM
LexFather

OMG, the TOyota Caviler, wins, hands down. OMG.
Caddy Cimmeron is up there,

Old 03-18-05, 12:39 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a coincidence that the top 2 spots are occupied by some form of a GM product?