Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst re-badging attempts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 09:44 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst re-badging attempts?

Driving to work this morning I saw what appeared to be a well maintained Isuzu Trooper from the mid 90's, but upon closer inspection, it was in fact the Acura SLX re-badged Trooper. That got me thinking about what are the worst "re-badged" vehicles?

I was almost to the office when I saw a late 80's Cadillac Cimarron, which I believe to be the best example of the worst re-badge ever....A Cadillac Cavalier/Sunbird?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Cimarron.bmp (84.4 KB, 412 views)
Old 03-16-05, 10:01 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Chrysler's TC
by Maserati
"... a Chrysler 'LeBaron' with the Maserati touch!"

http://www.maserati-indy.co.uk/alfieri33.htm
Old 03-16-05, 11:36 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99GS300
Driving to work this morning I saw what appeared to be a well maintained Isuzu Trooper from the mid 90's, but upon closer inspection, it was in fact the Acura SLX re-badged Trooper.
wow i remember that car... i've only seen one or two in my lifetime. it was expensive back in the day.
Old 03-16-05, 11:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Isuzu Impulse ala Geo Storm.

Come to think of it, every Isuzu has had a rebadged sibling or vice versa.
Old 03-16-05, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Isuzu Impulse ala Geo Storm.

Come to think of it, every Isuzu has had a rebadged sibling or vice versa.
Not sure if the Impulse-Storm comparo is a true rebadging, Flip. (Remember, we discussed these two cars about a week ago?). They DID share the same platform and chassis, but the bodies and interiors are much different on the 2 cars.

I agree with 99GS300 that the Cimarron was an awful car and and awful case of re-badging, but IMO it was exceeded by the original U.S.-market version of the Hyundai Excel...which was an almost identical twin of the Mitsubishi Precis which Mitsu also sold under their own nameplate.
I have been test-driving new cars for some 30 years and the 1987 Excel and the 1984 Pontiac Fiero were absolutely, without a doubt, the worst new cars I have ever driven, quality-wise.
Old 03-16-05, 01:23 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure if the Impulse-Storm comparo is a true rebadging, Flip. (Remember, we discussed these two cars about a week ago?). They DID share the same platform and chassis, but the bodies and interiors are much different on the 2 cars.

I agree with 99GS300 that the Cimarron was an awful car and and awful case of re-badging, but IMO it was exceeded by the original U.S.-market version of the Hyundai Excel...which was an almost identical twin of the Mitsubishi Precis which Mitsu also sold under their own nameplate.
I have been test-driving new cars for some 30 years and the 1987 Excel and the 1984 Pontiac Fiero were absolutely, without a doubt, the worst new cars I have ever driven, quality-wise.
I believe the Excel and Precis were basically the same car. Hyundai relied on Mitsubishi for most of their drivetrain parts before they started making their own engines in the mid/late 90's. That pretty much explains the reason why Hyundai cars had such poor reliability following their introduction.
Old 03-16-05, 01:54 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh that's easy.

The most offensive bastard of them all: The Toyota Cavalier.

Yes, that's factory. Yes, Toyota sold Cavaliers in JAPAN of all places. Yes, it was Toyota's most unreliable car.

Old 03-16-05, 02:09 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Daewoo > Chevrolet

... I do feel bad for Daewoo now
Old 03-16-05, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Oh that's easy.

Yes, that's factory. Yes, Toyota sold Cavaliers in JAPAN of all places. Yes, it was Toyota's most unreliable car.

Give this man the prize....hands down. Almost nothing could be a worse rebadging than that.

And thanks for reminding me of this one, SC....I had pretty much forgotten about it.
Old 03-16-05, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
Daewoo > Chevrolet

... I do feel bad for Daewoo now
Do you feel sorry for Suzuki? I don't. The Suzuki Verona, Forenza, and Reno are all rebadged Daewoo designs...and not bad ones at that. Suzuki IMO made a good move getting some good Korean products at low prices.
Old 03-16-05, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99GS300
Driving to work this morning I saw what appeared to be a well maintained Isuzu Trooper from the mid 90's, but upon closer inspection, it was in fact the Acura SLX re-badged Trooper. That got me thinking about what are the worst "re-badged" vehicles?

I was almost to the office when I saw a late 80's Cadillac Cimarron, which I believe to be the best example of the worst re-badge ever....A Cadillac Cavalier/Sunbird?
The Trooper / SLX was actually a very well-made vehicle, with an excellent reliability record....as good as many Toyotas of the period. Its Achilles heel, of course, was the tendency to tip way over inthe Consumer Reports' 1995 roll-over test, earning it a Not Acceptable rating.....and hurting sales. This was partly what started Isuzu down the road to the pitiful condition it is in today.

Your nomination of the Cadillac Cimarron gets an Honorable Mention, but the Toyota Cavalier takes the Worst-Rebadge prize hands-down....see my post above.
Old 03-16-05, 03:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Oh that's easy.

You know what's sad? TRD Japan made parts for that POS. amazing.
Old 03-16-05, 03:31 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I htink AMG emblems on a non-AMG equipped Benz is pathetic..... Theres one right outside in the parking lot.. I should go take a pic
Old 03-16-05, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
You know what's sad? TRD Japan made parts for that POS. amazing.
They weren't just over-the-counter GM Mr. Goodwrench parts with the TRD name stamped on them?
Old 03-16-05, 03:48 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any fake BMW M, hate it, hate it, hate it.
or
Honda's badged with Acura. I can see the Acura badged with Honda because of the "JDM" aspect but Acura doesn't exist over in Japan...

Quick Reply: Worst re-badging attempts?