Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you get a loaner for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 08:09 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you get a loaner for an oil change?

I know I always have. But I just tried to book an appt for an oil change at my trusty (or should I say un-trustworthy) Lexus dealer and was told "we usually don't give out loaners for oil changes as they only take 45 minutes and besides that we don't have any loaners available until next Thursday." This is new news to me.

BTW the un-trustworthy comment comes from the fact that they tried to tell me my wife's cabin air filter was so dirty and needed to be recplaced as soon as possible - when I told them that it HAD been replaced only 8,000 miles ago - but at a different dealer, the tone suddenly changed to "oh, I see that in the computer, we will just have them blow it out with the compressor and it will be fine".

What's going on with Lexus service these days?

Last edited by doug_999; 03-17-05 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-17-05, 08:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I've had my Lexus in for regular maintainence only 3 times since I didn't drive it much during the 2 1/2 years I have owned it, & I got a loaner everytime. The first 2 maintenance is free & does not involved too much more than oil change & I still get a loaner, but on one of them I was told if I want a loaner, I have to book the appointment on another day, since they will be out of loaners on that particular day I initiallly wanted as they will be very busy on that day.

So for my dealer at least, they will try to give you a loaner even if it's an oil change & you can't wait even 45 minutes, as long as a loaner is available on the day of the appointment.
Old 03-17-05, 08:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Yep, always do. But I ususally am getting other stuff done at the same time.
Old 03-17-05, 08:43 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Yes, they always give me a loaner even if it was just an oil change.
Old 03-17-05, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, as long as you told them ahead of time about your service and that you need to go to work, you can get a loaner.
Old 03-17-05, 08:59 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Lexus of Seattle has never given me a Lexus loaner. Even when I tell them up front I need a loaner they alwasy want to give me crap rental from down the street. One time they had a minivan waiting for my wife, she said hell no and got back in the IS and left. We were in there to drop the car off for a 4 hour job and they said they didn't have a loaner, 10 minutes sitting there waiting a guy drops off a GS and gets an ES loaner

The sad part is that when I bought my car there I was told how important is was for them to give people a Lexus loaner, i've told my salesman, service manager, and their customer service person who makes the follow up calls about my dissatisfaction but they give me the same BS everytime and haven't changed anything. I haven't taken the GX in yet and i'm not sure I will but I doubt it will change.
Old 03-17-05, 09:04 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus of Seattle has never given me a Lexus loaner. Even when I tell them up front I need a loaner they alwasy want to give me crap rental from down the street. One time they had a minivan waiting for my wife, she said hell no and got back in the IS and left. We were in there to drop the car off for a 4 hour job and they said they didn't have a loaner, 10 minutes sitting there waiting a guy drops off a GS and gets an ES loaner

The sad part is that when I bought my car there I was told how important is was for them to give people a Lexus loaner, i've told my salesman, service manager, and their customer service person who makes the follow up calls about my dissatisfaction but they give me the same BS everytime and haven't changed anything. I haven't taken the GX in yet and i'm not sure I will but I doubt it will change.
report them to Lexus corporate and move on to a new dealership if you can.
It really depends on each individual dealership.

My dealership loan me an 05 RX330 when I brought my IS in for service.
Old 03-17-05, 09:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

It depends on the dealership. Longo has a huge inventory of loaner cars but since they do so much volume, they're only reserved for larger ticket items like 30k service or warranty work that requires your vehicle to stay for an extended period of time. They also offer mobile service which used to work in a radius of 100 miles of the dealership, but since there are so many customers out there that come from w/in that 100 mile radius, they've shrunk it down to I believe 70 mile radius.
Old 03-17-05, 10:10 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRD-bB
report them to Lexus corporate and move on to a new dealership if you can.
It really depends on each individual dealership.
I have, and every survey I get I let them have it. The only other choice is Bellevue but it's another 20 miles away on top of the 40 miles I drive one way to Lexus of Seattle.
Old 03-17-05, 10:36 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

havne't been to longo for a while with the precise reason that for the past two, three times, i've been offered a toyota loaner instead of lexus loaner. you see, the world's falling apart without a lexus loaner.
Old 03-17-05, 10:48 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
havne't been to longo for a while with the precise reason that for the past two, three times, i've been offered a toyota loaner instead of lexus loaner. you see, the world's falling apart without a lexus loaner.
The times i've been offered a loaner, i've gotten one. But then again I called in advance to reserve one knowing how busy they are. At least they offer you a loaner car period! some places won't even offer you anything if they run out.
Old 03-17-05, 12:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

As Flip said...it depends on the dealer. The dealers I have been to in So Cal have told me that if the service takes less than 2 hours, they won't unless other arrangements have been made prior. The larger jobs have the priority relative to loaners available.
Old 03-17-05, 12:32 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bring the 93 GS in for service, I am offered a loaner.....but it is a rental from Enterprise, Budget, etc. I can only guess that they don't find my 93 as valuable as the newer cars. Last time I was there, a kid brings in his IS300 for service and gets a RX330. I have NEVER been offered a Lexus rental.

I understand that the car is 12 years old; however it is in beautiful shape with 118,000 miles. Of course due to its age, the things that need repair usually are over $400. I think that if I am paying $400+, I should be driving around in a Lexus model loaner, and not a Jetta or Cobalt.

Ken
Old 03-17-05, 01:49 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Here's what you do, take your Lexus to the nearest Toyota dealer for an oil change, 29 minutes or less and it's free, I go in they jot down everything, during this time I go play with whatever I can find, or I'll test drive something, the toy dealer has cable hook for the internet so that makes time fly, they call and tell me the car is done, I go to the window and I reply with I've been here for an hour, look at my stopwatch

Oil Change is free, and I repeat the process every 3-5k, by the time I get to a service interval of 30k the free oil change money pays for that

Since I have an ES I can do it, I plan to have them service the car as well my old mans LS and any other Lexus that is not similiar to a Toyota never goes to the Toyota Dealer, at least I would not bring it, LS gets M1 with 10k changes
Old 03-17-05, 02:05 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I never have time for this stuff.

I just roll up to the quick lube place..........

Quick Reply: Do you get a loaner for an oil change?