Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota takes first podium in F1!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 08:54 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Toyota takes first podium in F1!!!!

After Turlli managed to get into front row again in qualifying he proved that it wasn't a fluke what happened in OZ.

And finally after consistent pace from Trulli Toyota manages to get first ever podium in F1!!!! He finished 2nd while Ralf finished 5th which put Toyota on second spot in Constructor Championship.

POST RACE CONFERENCE:

Q: Jarno, congratulations to you too: the first-ever podium finish for the Panasonic Toyota team. You tried to hold onto Fernando there in the opening laps. Tell us about that and then as the race progressed…
Jarno Trulli: I had an extremely good start but again the Renaults seem to get away pretty well. Anyway, I drove my race, I was quite competitive, I was following Fernando, but at one stage I could see that there was no match and I started managing the race, taking care of the tyres as during the first race I had the tyre problem, and then I just managed to finish the race. It was really easy in second position, pulling away, controlling people. From the pit they kept telling me to slow down so it’s fantastic to bring the first podium finish to Toyota.

Q: In these conditions, even more so, using the engine for two Grands Prix, the tyres for the full distance, how near to the limit were you towards the end?
JT: Let’s say that we were quite comfortable on reliability, even if, in these conditions, it’s always terrible (fantastic) what Marmorini has done and his crew has done a fantastic job over the wintertime, the reliability is there. But after half race I started pulling down the revs and trying to slow down and taking care of the tyres and also the heat was really hard on the driver’s side, and for this I have to thank (Doctor) Ciccarelli because he treated me with an infusion as I was sick at the beginning of this week.

Q: Jarno, you made a superb start, but it looked as if when you go to third gear, they pulled ahead…
JT: We still have some work to do, but it is definitely nice to be here. It was a challenge when I chose Toyota, but I chose them for several reasons, for several people and I knew there was a lot of potential in this team. Now, we know we have to work on the engine, the chassis and the aerodynamics, but we have got tremendous, experienced people like Gascoyne, Marmorini and lots of highly experienced engineers who can do it for the future. So it is a good boost this first podium, it came at the right time for the team and at the right place because I believe this race is one of the toughest technically in the heat and is the second for the engine and it is fantastic for them and I would like to thank all the Panasonic Toyota team members.

Q: What about the tyres in this race?
JT: I wanted to manage them a little bit from the beginning, I tried to follow Fernando for the first 10 laps but then I was thinking I was pulling away from Giancarlo, but I couldn’t keep Fernando’s pace so I just wanted to slow down and take care of the tyres and then mid-race I had such a big gap that the team started to worry me about the front tyres and I had to slow down. At the end of the race, it is nice to be second and it doesn’t matter to get the hassle. It’s important to get the car to the finish line and to score this first podium

Q: (Anthony Rowlinson, Autosport) A question for all three drivers, do you think you are in a position to stay ahead of Michael Schumacher and Ferrari this season?
JT: It is very clear they are struggling with the package and it is difficult to say what is wrong. I prefer to look at my side and improve my car, but they were not competitive here and they looked more competitive in Australia. We will see in the next races.
Old 03-20-05, 10:14 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've certainly ragged on Toyota for spending the $$$ with nothing to show for it and I've never really believed in Gascoyne and his "It's the drivers fault" BS last year. But you have to give props where they are due and they are certainly due here.

Nice job Jarno, Gascoyne, and the rest of the Toyota crew!
Old 03-20-05, 10:23 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Old 03-20-05, 10:37 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, everyone loves a winner.
Old 03-20-05, 12:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Thumbs up

Old 03-20-05, 02:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Got to love Toyota ... when they commit to something, they're dead serious. Toyota made a statement that this year they would be dead serious about getting podium finishes. The biggest problem with the TF105 car seems to be the tyre loss, and if they can work that out, or minimize the problem, the Toyota team should be very competitive this year.

An interesting point: with only 2 races so far this season, Toyota has already scored more points than their ENTIRE 2004 season. ... way to go Toyota!

If the team does end up with a good year, you know what that means ... the LF-A heads to production .

With that sad, it was sad to see the 2 BAR Hondas out of commission, but no surprise, as this is not the first time Honda engines have had leakage/overheating problems.

EDIT: I think it was last year or year before at Suzuka that the BAR Hondas had overheating problems.
Old 03-20-05, 05:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota did an outsatinding job this race. We have to admit, Toyota and Renault seem to have adopted the best to the rules changes so far. Aerodynamics is so critical this season and it appears many teams still haven't fully figured it out yet. I would have thought Ferrari and Toyota would have had the best data for their engines, since Ferrari is collecting real race data from Sauber (Sauber is using the 2005 Ferrari spec engine while Ferrari themselves are still using the complete 2004 chassis and eninge), and I believe Toyota engines are in the Jordans (Or was it another teams?) Anyway, that is a lot of good race data to study.

I'm not sure if BAR/Honda's strategy is the right one this season. They proclaimed they wanted a somewhat all or nothing this year. Podium finishes and wins were all they were after and decided to push the eninges as hard as they can and worry about reliability and longevity later. Obviously they may need to rething that strategy before they fall too far behind. Critics had questioned that strategy during the off season and it looks like they may be right. I'm really surprised at McLaren and Ferrrai this season though. I would have thought they would be a lot more competive then what they are currenty. Oh well, I bet Ferrari will start to get it together again once they start using the 2005 car.
Old 03-20-05, 06:27 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

It was only a matter of time, but its about time!!!
Old 03-20-05, 06:32 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Watched the race, thought it was a great one!!! Malsysia (sp) looks like a really demanding track to race at IMO. Props to the Toyota's but I gotta say that my personal fav. Kimi didn't do so well this race. I wonder what's going on with the West/Tag Heuer team. Hmmm, anyway. Like I said, congrats to Toyota!, and yes, lets see the LF-A made!!!

Josh
Old 03-20-05, 06:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Senator
. . . Hmmm, anyway. Like I said, congrats to Toyota!, and yes, lets see the LF-A made!!!
Josh
. . . & the Volta too
Old 03-21-05, 01:41 PM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to say, its a great feeling seeing TOYOTA overtaking a FERRARI during the race.
Old 03-21-05, 03:26 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by my_shaldan
i have to say, its a great feeling seeing TOYOTA overtaking a FERRARI during the race.
Ferrari had a bad day all around, I wonder if it is because of the new engines that they have gone to this year. If I am not mistaken, there was even one racer that was still using his engine from last year's season.

Josh
Old 03-21-05, 03:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Senator
Ferrari had a bad day all around, I wonder if it is because of the new engines that they have gone to this year. If I am not mistaken, there was even one racer that was still using his engine from last year's season.

Josh
Ferrari is still using last years F2004 chassis and engine revamped to 2005 rules. They have not yet released their F2005 and engine for this season, however, Ferrari is getting good race data for their engines since Sauber uses Ferrari engines and is indeed running the 2005 spec engine already.
Old 03-21-05, 04:13 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

I thought there were at least a couple racers using the 05 platform, I could remember hearing the comentator saying something about it. But if that is the case then maybe a year of R&D does make alot of difference in F1 racing. I know it does in MotoGP.

Josh
Old 03-22-05, 03:22 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

FINALLY GO TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Noww celebrate and give us the friggin LF-A

Quick Reply: Toyota takes first podium in F1!!!!