Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What a way to start out the week (painful pics on pg 2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05 | 12:57 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation What a way to start out the week (painful pics on pg 2)

I was in the fast lane (#1 or #2, I can't remember) on a very traveled and main road, going northbound back towards my work at the beginning of the lunch hour. Important note, I have the right of way the entire time. The slow lane is trafficky along that section since there are a lot of retail businesses on that side of the road. I was cruising along, and all of a sudden, a late-model Corolla peered out from the right side of the road (as a result of the cars on the slow lane of the main road yielding to her, which is a WRONG move to begin with) and was driving to cross my lane so that the driver can turn into the southbound side of the road. It was already too late to slam on the brakes, and her Corolla collided with the front passenger side of my ES while I was going around 35 mph (she told the officer I was going 60-70 mph!) None of us were injured, which I guess we can be thankful of.

But the results of the vehicles:

My ES
- Front bumper severely scraped on the pass. side
- Scrapes on headlight and foglight (missing corner lamp)
- Dented, scraped and chipped front pass. fender
- Scratched up wheel
- Plastic shielding bent down to touch the tire (making my car unsafe to drive)
- Chipped windshield fluid tank
- The car will have to be flatbedded to the dealership tomorrow.

Her Corolla
- Front bumper mangled and dangled
- Hood creased and crumpled
- Bumper reinforcement was taken out from impact
- End result: Getting it towed

The attached schematic below pretty much explains the accident itself (I'm in 'A' while the other driver is 'B'). I'll try to snap up the horrible pics of the damage tomorrow before it gets hauled to the dealership
Attached Thumbnails What a way to start out the week (painful pics on pg 2)-03212005_accident.jpg  
Old 03-21-05 | 01:03 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

right lane shouldnt have yielded.. but you shouldve been on the lookout for why the right lane stopped moving right there.. its still her fault though
Old 03-21-05 | 01:06 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Oh Doug that is so bad to hear man. I hope everything works out and you are found NOT at fault bud. You are sorrect, not a good way to start the week.
Old 03-21-05 | 01:30 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Doug man sorry to hear this

you had the right of way ..no worries

and they can meausre your skidmarks to determine how you were going

sorry again man

but glad to hear your alright
Old 03-21-05 | 01:34 PM
rm1
Driver School Candidate

hey man thats awful. But dont worry from your description as long as you were on speed limit of 35-40 mph you should be safe and should get all reimbursement. I am sure you have the full insurance on ES300.
Old 03-21-05 | 01:36 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Old 03-22-05 | 12:45 AM
Kyosuke86
Driver

I know what its like. I've been in that same kind of accident as you did and she too claimed that i was speeding, but i was lucky to have had a witness. well even with my witness the other person kept on fighting it and the whole situation became a mess. But i'm sure that you'll win because of the impact on the side fender proves that the person hit into you and he/she was the one at fault. It is lucky that you weren't hurt though and neither was the other person.
Old 03-22-05 | 04:48 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear about the mis-fortune Doug, but as you said, your health is paramount to the car!

Glad you are okay!
Old 03-22-05 | 05:28 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that bro. She said you were going 60-70 MPH? If you were she would've been laid out on a stretcher. I hate hearing stuff like this. I'll be sure and not to look at any pix you post. But again glad you're O.K.
Old 03-22-05 | 10:20 AM
yoji6365
Driver

How could she have known how fast you were going? Theres not much chance she is that observant or that she even saw you coming. I hope she isnt claiming her neck hurts. i had an accident 2 years ago and its still not settled. Cringe everytime I see a Honda in front of me with a woman driver.
Old 03-22-05 | 11:57 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Terrible news. It could have been a lot worse had you been going at the speed she indicated. I guess there was nothing you could have done to avoid this...my mother was involved in an IDENTICAL situation last year. The gentleman said she was going faster than she actually was...she never drives fast However, due to both the vehicles having frontal damage, the insurance company assigned 'percentage' fault to both the drivers...not sure what the exact weighting was but this year my mother was informed her insurance was going up. The police report clearly indicated that my mother had right of way at time of collision and there was no traffic light or stop sign to complicate the matter. Too bad there weren't any eye witnesses.

Keep us informed and hang in there buddy.
Old 03-22-05 | 03:21 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Man that sucks. I just gotten into an accident too. Some idiot backed up into my right side corner panel while I was sitting in it. It was the other drives fault 100%. Went thru their insurance and won 100%. They fixed it back as you can see in the pic. Keep ur head man. You wasnt in the wrong and at least your not hurt. But I know how it feels to have ur baby banged up. Sorry man....
Attached Thumbnails What a way to start out the week (painful pics on pg 2)-es1.jpg  
Old 03-22-05 | 04:11 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

Man that really sucks! I hope it all turns out for you. That is scary though. Out of no where...BAMMM.
Old 03-22-05 | 04:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

V2 (Vehicle #2) aka the other party cut off your right of way. She will be put at 100% fault. I do this for a living btw.
Old 03-22-05 | 06:04 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Talking Thanks everyone!

Thank you guys and gals, it really means a lot to hear your concerns and sympathy in regards to the latest incident to my vehicle

As a car enthusiast ever since my inception on CL, I can't imagine how one day I would get myself involved in a wreck like this (I had been accident-free for 4 yrs before this one), but at least no one was hurt (which was key). Just like anyone else who goes through any sort of accident, I got caught up in a whirlwind of emotions but managed to contain myself and did the mandatory protocol in case of any accident:

- Run over to the other party and make sure the driver was OK (do not talk about who's at fault).
- Call up the police.
- Call up insurance.
- Gather witness info (I was very glad to have 2 witnesses by my side and agree with my story)
- And stay at the scene of accident with the police and insurance on phone until everything is completely documented.

After talking with both insurance companies (mine and the other party's), the consensus looks to be that the other driver will be placed at-fault with the accident (for failure to yield to right of way). I decided not to have the car brought to the dealership yet since the adjuster from my insurance will come over tomorrow morning and gather an estimate for the damages. Ultimately, I'll want to have the car fully repaired at my dealership which I've been using for the last 4 years and have been satisfied with their work and effort.

You can be sure I'll insist on having every nook and cranny fixed, as you'll see in the following pics...

Quick Reply: What a way to start out the week (painful pics on pg 2)