Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traffic light changer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 12:34 AM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Traffic light changer

Has anyone heard of the devices that you can buy that hack the traffic control devices used at intersections in many cities that allow emergency vehicles to change the lights? I am considering buying one (the kit from the second link below) just out of curiosity... and as a novelty, and maybe used in case of "emergency" . I know Lincoln, NE uses this sort of emergency vehicle traffic control system, but I'm not too sure about here in Omaha.

For those of you wondering about the legality of said device, there are a bunch of news articles out there about them and how it worries law enforcement, although it is only illegal in places that have specific laws against their use (from what I found online, some place in WA is the only one) because the FCC doesn't have any regulations for devices that use light. But I could be wrong...

Here are a couple sites I found:
http://www.themirt.com/
http://www.plans-kits.com/kits/
Old 03-23-05, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

err..... those stuff, in simple terms, are called strobe light. it's nothing fancy, it's just those fast flashing light you see on cops car and fire trucks.... the fast flashing light at certain frequeny will just tricker sensor at the intersactions and change the light signal

you can just purchase those legit (meaning real stuff, not meaning it's legal) strobe light setup, install them and you are done.

even better, try this (i have done it couple of times before, it works). if you are at the intersaction at night and fall asleep waiting for the light to turn green. if there are no other cars around, just flash your high beam fast couple of times. see what happens in my case, light changes right the way

disclaimer: i don't hold you liable for anything you do
Old 03-23-05, 03:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not sure that these things are a good idea. If too many of these devices get out, it could actually make things worse.........for instance, what happens if different vehicles approach the same traffic light from different directions and each one triggers the light system at about the same time? It could confuse the sensors, and we really don't know what would happen.....maybe the lights would go out completely.
Or, worse, what if somebody uses one at the same time a police or fire emergency is happening? Again, you can only guess the results.
Old 03-23-05, 05:57 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
even better, try this (i have done it couple of times before, it works). if you are at the intersaction at night and fall asleep waiting for the light to turn green. if there are no other cars around, just flash your high beam fast couple of times. see what happens in my case, light changes right the way
I remember doing that several times before, and this little "trick" actually works at some intersections, especially at the frequent traveled intersections. Not that I want to do it everytime I come to a stop..
Old 03-23-05, 06:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Haha, I think we have at least one thread discussing this before, I don't think it's a good idea neither . . .
Old 03-23-05, 08:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yep we sure did discuss this before:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=strobe+light
Old 03-23-05, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe so, but how many times did we discuss the 2004 elections in the DEBATE forum? Or the new GS and IS in different threads? Many subjects at CL are discussed more than once. I would expect to see another one on gas prices very shortly.
Old 03-23-05, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lexusk8
I remember doing that several times before, and this little "trick" actually works at some intersections, especially at the frequent traveled intersections. Not that I want to do it everytime I come to a stop..
yeah the tricks work only at certain intersactions, mainly on the busy ones. heck, if it's residential quiet area where there are less than 200 cars passing by a day, i don't think that's needed
Old 03-23-05, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure that these things are a good idea. If too many of these devices get out, it could actually make things worse.........for instance, what happens if different vehicles approach the same traffic light from different directions and each one triggers the light system at about the same time? It could confuse the sensors, and we really don't know what would happen.....maybe the lights would go out completely.
Or, worse, what if somebody uses one at the same time a police or fire emergency is happening? Again, you can only guess the results.
calm down marshall, keep in mind all that (the trick and the strobe lights) are illegal to begin with. you are just like educating people not to use hid kits
Old 03-23-05, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

calm down marshall, keep in mind all that (the trick and the strobe lights) are illegal to begin with. you are just like educating people not to use hid kits
I'm not hyper.
Omaha's opening thread pointed out that the legality of light timers varies from state to state....they are not illegal everywhere. Like radar / laser detectors and the license-plate photo-blocker spray, they are legal in some but not all places.

I don't know of any placs where HID's are illegal....do you? They (and Xenon-arcs) are standard on many upmarket vehicles today....inclusing the Lexuses that we drive. However, you are correct that these HID's can blind other drivers in some circumstances and have to be used with courtesy and common sense.
Old 03-23-05, 11:15 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe so, but how many times did we discuss the 2004 elections in the DEBATE forum? Or the new GS and IS in different threads? Many subjects at CL are discussed more than once. I would expect to see another one on gas prices very shortly.

Why start a new thread? Can you believe the gas prices?
Old 03-23-05, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by link13
Why start a new thread? Can you believe the gas prices?
Yes...for now. In a few more months.................that may be a different story.
Old 03-23-05, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I'm not hyper.
Omaha's opening thread pointed out that the legality of light timers varies from state to state....they are not illegal everywhere. Like radar / laser detectors and the license-plate photo-blocker spray, they are legal in some but not all places.

I don't know of any placs where HID's are illegal....do you? They (and Xenon-arcs) are standard on many upmarket vehicles today....inclusing the Lexuses that we drive. However, you are correct that these HID's can blind other drivers in some circumstances and have to be used with courtesy and common sense.
haha, read, marshall, read i said hid KITS, not oem hid. that means hid kits that fit in normal halogen housing. it has been illegal since day one, and now it's also illegal to sell
Old 03-24-05, 12:39 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

if you are at the intersaction at night and fall asleep waiting for the light to turn green. if there are no other cars around, just flash your high beam fast couple of times. see what happens in my case, light changes right the way
I tried this at several intersections w/ no luck Maybe the Prelude's lights were too low
Old 03-24-05, 02:01 AM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
I tried this at several intersections w/ no luck Maybe the Prelude's lights were too low
Not EVERY city is equipped with this technology, just cool ones like Lincoln, NE

Quick Reply: Traffic light changer