Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I was that close getting a 2006 M45

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-05, 10:57 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
Ah.. the impulse buy

My philosophy.. did you wake up this morning thinking you "needed the M?" If not.. pass

I was so glad that I pass it
Old 03-27-05, 11:27 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im making that decision right now in Taiwan!! The GS430 is NT295M, the GS300 is NT 258M, the M35 is 250M or less. I just seen the GSs so dont know which im gonna get yet, but u know Taiwanese think Lexus is more ballar than Infiniti, so that plays sort of a big role too. Decisions, decisions........

Originally Posted by ATSOU
Went to BMW dealer to pick up my friend who had his 525i brought in for schedule maintaince. There was the Infiniti dealership right next to it so we decided to go check out the new M45.....
Old 03-28-05, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, isn't that super high payment?

i got my sc430, no down payment, 36 months, and my monthly is just a bit higher than the price you posted.... sux man..... i guess infiniti doesn't hold residual well?
Old 03-28-05, 02:15 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnsRX
im making that decision right now in Taiwan!! The GS430 is NT295M, the GS300 is NT 258M, the M35 is 250M or less. I just seen the GSs so dont know which im gonna get yet, but u know Taiwanese think Lexus is more ballar than Infiniti, so that plays sort of a big role too. Decisions, decisions........
Not to mention I hear Lexus is #1 in customer satisfaction in Taiwan, at least according to JD Power...hey maybe we can start the Taiwanese chapter of Club Lexus .
Old 03-28-05, 02:20 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

not only that, Lexus is the best selling import car for more than a year now!! and it won by a land slide!! But in Taiwan, im just one of the handful that actually mods their cars.

Originally Posted by enigma354
Not to mention I hear Lexus is #1 in customer satisfaction in Taiwan, at least according to JD Power...hey maybe we can start the Taiwanese chapter of Club Lexus .
Old 03-28-05, 05:59 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ATSOU
Since the M45 just came out, nobody knows about the reputations yet. I was affraid the M would be like the Q45. Depreciates like hell within two to three years......
Hopefully I can pick up an used one in three years for around $30000.

As for comparing the M45 to my LS430, the M is definitely a fancier and faster car. But overall it's just a G35 with two more cylinders and couple more hi-tech goodies. And the driving comfort is nothing compares to the LS430. Even though it's faster BUT hey......if u meet one E55 on the road, u're still behind anyway right?

The sales kept telling me the G was the first success of Infiniti and the M will be even hotter then the G, but the G is popular cuz it was priced reasonable, people get the best out of their bucks.......but the M45 MSRP for $57,000 and there is no room for price negotiation. So with fees & license it'll come out to about $64,000. Ehh......u can pretty much get an SC430 for that price
Personally I don't think the M45 will depreciate like the Q45. The Q45 imho is one ugly puppy. As a matter of fact before the G35, FX and QX all Infiniti's were ugly puppies! After owning a couple of Maxima's I am happy to see them turn it around. The G35 is rated a 5 out of 5 when it comes to holding it's value (cars direct / consumer reports) and I believe that the M will do the same. By the way, the G35 is no longer a "low cost" alternative. A loaded G35 will cost you almost $38,000.

I have driven several LS's (I don't own one) and can't imagine why anyone would ever give that car up. The current LS just doesn't fit my driving style, I have this "need for speed" problem every time I get behind the wheel of my cars (I own a 2000 Max & a 2001 M5 Dinan of course). Yet if I ever get that stupid lead out of my right foot no doubt the LS would be my choice for cruising. Can't wait to see what Infiniti does with the Q.

Actually I love the look of the E55 but it's hard to imagine myself paying $90,000 for a car that will cost me $30,000 in repairs over a 6 to 8 year period. The new M5 will be out later this year so I'm waiting to drive it before I shell out $90,000. I only wish Lexus would make something in this arena then I could have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-28-05, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ktiger
I have this "need for speed" problem every time I get behind the wheel of my cars (I own a 2000 Max & a 2001 M5 Dinan of course). Yet if I ever get that stupid lead out of my right foot no doubt the LS would be my choice for cruising. .
Well, just the THOUGHT of multiple speeding tickets and insurance points and what that will do to your driving record and insurance premiums should solve that problem. If that doesn't, the ACTUAL tickets and consequences will. If THEY don't.......then, yes, I agree.....you have a REAL problem.
Old 03-28-05, 07:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

As a matter of fact before the G35, FX and QX all Infiniti's were ugly puppies! .
I kinda disagree with that, I like the look of the the second generation Q45, the one that's a short wheel base version of the Nissan president
Old 03-28-05, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That's your new logo, Amethy....the Grim Geaper? I guess I better give you a wide berth.
Old 03-28-05, 07:58 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, just the THOUGHT of multiple speeding tickets and insurance points and what that will do to your driving record and insurance premiums should solve that problem. If that doesn't, the ACTUAL tickets and consequences will. If THEY don't.......then, yes, I agree.....you have a REAL problem.
I can honestly say that I haven't received a speeding ticket since 1986. Now that don't change the fact that receiving a few wouldn't slow me down a little. Down here in south Louisiana/south Texas I do a lot of traveling on the interstates and there are many areas that are not policed at all. Therefore you can burn off all the carbon.

It is extremely hard not to push the envelope in the M5.
Old 03-28-05, 08:03 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I kinda disagree with that, I like the look of the the second generation Q45, the one that's a short wheel base version of the Nissan president
Nope, still ugly imho. When the Maxima came out in 2000 I bought it imediately. I love the body style of that car. Highly unusual for me because I hate buying the first year of production. That's why I have a 2001 M5 and not the 2000.
Old 03-28-05, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I can honestly say that I haven't received a speeding ticket since 1986. Now that don't change the fact that receiving a few wouldn't slow me down a little. Down here in south Louisiana/south Texas I do a lot of traveling on the interstates and there are many areas that are not policed at all. Therefore you can burn off all the carbon.

It is extremely hard not to push the envelope in the M5.

I don't disagree that an M can be tempting for some people. I myself though, prefer refinement, quality, and fit-and-finish to big HP figures.

Carbon build-up is usually not a problem if you use a quality gas with a good detergent additive like Chevron, Amoco (BP), Shell, or Mobil and dump in a can of BG-44K fuel system cleaner every 15,000 miles or so.

Texas used to sell coupons for $5 apiece that were good for one speeding ticket.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-05 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 09:53 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't disagree that an M can be tempting for some people. I myself though, prefer refinement, quality, and fit-and-finish to big HP figures.

Carbon build-up is usually not a problem if you use a quality gas with a good detergent additive like Chevron, Amoco (BP), Shell, or Mobil and dump in a can of BG-44K fuel system cleaner every 15,000 miles or so.

Texas used to sell coupons for $5 apiece that were good for one speeding ticket.
Marshall, Marshall, Marshall, refinement? Quality? Fit and Finish? Speaking from a guy who own an M5, the refinement, fit and finish in this car is excellent. As far as quality, I have never had a breakdown of any kind since I bought it. It has only been to the dealer for routine scheduled maintenance. Does that mean all M5's are this reliable? I don't know but mine has been. By the way it's the same story with the Maxima and LX470. I've just been blessed with good vehicles.

The carbon thing was said in jest.
Old 03-28-05, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry...you misinterpreted me. I wasn't talking about your M. I was talking about my own preferences in a car. I'm glad you enjoy yours and have had no problems. It's just not the car for me, though. Too expensive, suspension / tires too harsh, and too high a power-to-weight ratio for my tastes, that's all.
What year is your M5? I was a big fan of the older, pre-Bangle 5-series. It was a marvelous car.
Old 03-28-05, 10:47 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

2001 for the M5. I'm not a huge fan of the new body style either but the new M5 has a very aggressive stance. I'm one of the few people out there that do like the new BMW body style (it has grown on me). Yet when it comes to full size luxury sedans the LS would be the car I would buy. The 7 series and the S series have been weighed in the scale and found wanting.

I must admit that these cars (M5, E55, & S55) are way overpriced that's why it's so important for me to make the right choice when buying. I have never kept a luxury vehicle for less than ten years, to do so, as Mr. O'Reilly says, would be ridiculous.

The battle between the mid level luxury sports sedan has become a dog fight. The RL, M35/45, GS300/430, E series and 5 series are all worthy of consideration but I think the M45 sport and the GS430 are the best of breed.

If anyone is looking for a "luxury" car, Lexus is the best bar none but I like to DRIVE HARD therefore the M45 sport, 545i sport or M5 would be my choice. Maybe that's why the sport tuned suspension has never bothered me.

Last edited by ktiger; 03-30-05 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply: I was that close getting a 2006 M45