Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The M or the GS became thoughts of Lex and Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 12:29 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The M or the GS became thoughts of Lex and Infiniti

Thinking of getting a M or a GS, both nice cars, cant go wrong with either. Then i realize I like Lexus more now just because of my current Lexus and its culture. I used to own 4 nissans and my current ride is the RX. I used to think Nissan is the king of japanese cars but ever since i had the RX, i begin to think Toyota really know whats up. Toyota has always been known to make cars that EVERYBODY will like, but Nissan has always created cars that have more character and sometimes strange. Sort of like BMW and Benz.

But my point is, once u get spoiled by anything Lexus, it is hard to go to anything else. Im not gonna tell u things u already know, like the smoothness, materials, etc etc. I like Lexus over an Infiniti, simply because Lexus makes nice cars! PERIOD! Their people do their homework and know what we like, they are simple on the eyes, easy to drive, comfortably smooth, and again, they make u feel good! While others might make you excited or have passion over it, Lexus makes cars that we love to own and thats what the bottom line is. Sales = MONEY!!!! Now whos your daddy??!?!!!!
Old 03-28-05, 01:21 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well said, JohnsRX. There is something about Lexus design that once you get used to it, you're *spoiled* by it. Nothing comes close, not so far anyway. I think the biggest asset to Lexus design, although other aspects are also fantastic, is the interior. The luxury experience, the layout of the buttons and console and wood and leather...it is so sumptuous and well put-together that every other car, particularly with their iDrive ***** and hard-to-read buttons, simply cannot match.

It's so funny how one tries Lexus as one experience out of possibly many other luxury makes, and then when time comes around to purchase another, and one specifically wants to purchase a different make, it just is too hard to leave the Lexus experience behind. Why settle for second best? With Lexus, you don't have to...usually.
Old 03-28-05, 01:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's sorta how i feel about it too. i try/tried a lot of other cars, bimmer, mb, audi, infiniti..... i guess maybe i have to many lexus, i just feel home when i drive my lexus. i don't like too complicated stuff, i want to sit in and fit in right the way.... so far lexus is the only one i feel really comfortable about
Old 03-28-05, 04:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, it's hard to beat the way Lexus designs and builds a vehicle.

The only other vehicles I have seen on today's market that IMO can compare with Lexus products in fit-and-finish are a few upper-grade Acuras and the 2005 Subaru Legacy / Outback...as you now, I've posted on this a number of times. For the money, the Subaru is truly an outstanding vehicle, with a Lexus-grade interior for a Subaru price.

Jaguars have beautiful interiors but are not built to Lexus-grade quality in assembly.
Hyundais are now among the best in fit-and-finish but, of course, do not have the Lexus richness of interior materials or refinement.
Infiniti's fit-and-finish and interior quality dropped sharply with the Nissan cost cutting program but is now beginning to improve again. The latest G35 and M35 / 45 are now close to Lexus in this respect.
Among domestic nameplates, the new Cadillac STS probably comes closest to Lexus fit-and-finish overall. The wood paneling in the new STS will knock your socks off.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-05 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-29-05, 12:48 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Among domestic nameplates, the new Cadillac STS probably comes closest to Lexus fit-and-finish overall. The wood paneling in the new STS will knock your socks off.
Hmm, Im not sure which STS you sat in, but the one I sat in was loaded with plastic and below average materials.

Robert
Old 03-29-05, 01:50 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

lexus makes nice cars that suit a wide variety of people. they are quite, smooth rides... with good features... but lack a real punch... i think thats what makes this board biased.. the people here are more of the type of drivers that enjoy quiet , smooth rides. however, infiniti's offer more driving feel and more punch. not quite as good on the features, smoothness, or quietness.... in all honesty, and i dont mean to **** anyone off when i say this.. i find infiniti to be more for the driving enthusiast. but... BMW is still the best driving enthusiast cars IMO. and they are slowly but surely starting to regain their reliability. i feel like BMWs are a lot like the FD's of the sportscar arena...theyre amazing... few cars handle as well or are as fun to drive... but that ****** will break down constantly. and maintenance is expensive!
Old 03-29-05, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JohnsRX
Thinking of getting a M or a GS, both nice cars, cant go wrong with either. Then i realize I like Lexus more now just because of my current Lexus and its culture. I used to own 4 nissans and my current ride is the RX. I used to think Nissan is the king of japanese cars but ever since i had the RX, i begin to think Toyota really know whats up. Toyota has always been known to make cars that EVERYBODY will like, but Nissan has always created cars that have more character and sometimes strange. Sort of like BMW and Benz.

But my point is, once u get spoiled by anything Lexus, it is hard to go to anything else. Im not gonna tell u things u already know, like the smoothness, materials, etc etc. I like Lexus over an Infiniti, simply because Lexus makes nice cars! PERIOD! Their people do their homework and know what we like, they are simple on the eyes, easy to drive, comfortably smooth, and again, they make u feel good! While others might make you excited or have passion over it, Lexus makes cars that we love to own and thats what the bottom line is. Sales = MONEY!!!! Now whos your daddy??!?!!!!
I agree, my family has tried many cars and now they all believe in Lexus, even when we have had good experiences with other brands. Lexus just overall, gives us what we feel is the absolute best car you can purchase.
Clearly, people in America agree, as Lexus has been the #1 selling brand 5 years now, onto 6 hopefully this year. THey know what people want. They may not be the best looking or the fastest or have the most prestige. But overall, they have the luxury market in America down to a science.

They now move on to Europe, which is much different market than America. Yes they have existed in Europe for sometime now but finally offer a diesal in the IS, which shows they are learning from mistakes. I don't expect Lexus to overtake Europe in any fashion as they have here in America but I expect them to become a better selling brand there soon.

Well another issue, to some is the M has no good history and the styling has jumped all over. Who is to say in 5 years or wheneve the new M is out, Infiniti will design something totally different.

Here is how the Lexus GS has evolved and its history
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151413

The M is pretty sad For once, people think of "M" they think BMW.

Of course, it got discontinued. 10 years later Infiniti takes the M name and slaps it on this car, and brings it here, where it loses to a just about everyone in a C&D 6-cylinder comparo and sales were horrible.

]
(nice Lexus optiron gauges)
Then it goes here in styling, nice, attractive but been there, done that.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-03-05 at 10:35 AM.

Old 03-29-05, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iloveGS300
Hmm, Im not sure which STS you sat in, but the one I sat in was loaded with plastic and below average materials.

Robert
I was quite impressed with the new STS's interior, but I agree with you that Cadillac has been weak in this area...and still is IMO with its other products.

Which interior did you look at...the regular STS or the STS-V? They have two very different themes inside. The regular STS IMO is much warmer and richer-looking inside than the V-type, which is colder and more sport-oriented.
Old 03-29-05, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I. Lexus just overall, gives us what we feel is the absolute best car you can purchase.
Overall......no arguements here, but it depends on what kind of vehicle you want (or need) and how much you can spend. For overall quality and refinement, Lexus is king....if you can afford $30,000 and up.

However, if you want a superb AWD product for 30K or below, Subaru is the way to go...especially the new Legacy / Outback, with its Lexus-class fit-and-finish for a Subaru price.

It you want a pure driving sedan at a reasonable price, it's hard to beat the pre-Bangle 3-series (get 'em while they last).....and I thought the absolute best overall-driving sedan I ever saw was the pre-Bangle 5-series. For steering and chassis dynamics you can't beat BMW.

It you want a reliable, reasonably-priced machine that will absolutely GLUE you to the road, can tolerate a stiff, noisy ride, and you're not too tall....get a Miata or an S-2000.

And....if you want a rolling tank loaded with safety gear that will give you the ultimate in crash protection, and you are not concerned with reliability ....get a Mercedes S-Class or Volvo S80...the two safety kings.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-05 at 04:34 PM.