Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus hybrid advertising...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 04:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by enigma354
Is it just going to be word-of-mouth, considering how much preorders there have been for the RX 400h? I think that Lexus could release a TV spot or a few magazine ads, perhaps to highlight the Lexus brand's technological prowess and the hybrids at the same time.

Do you guys think Lexus is capitalizing on the hybrid launches well enough? I think this could be a watershed technology success for Lexus, just don't know how much the general public knows about it yet. It's yet another achievement in the illustrious history of Lexus automobiles.
Its the talk of the town. How to tell? Go to the Lexus website and use search? You will find most of the top 10 questions are about hybrids. People are asking all over.

The RX 400h has gotten great reviews in the press, the only downside is heavier weight and worse braking otherwise, you get V-8 performance withI-4 economy in a package that looks like any Lexus (no Prius looks).

I expect the 450h to get more of an advertising push than the 400H b/c Lexus wants to really preach to the public the peformance benefit of hybrids. And what better vehcilce than the GS, the performance lexus.

Old 03-29-05, 04:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah thansk for clearing that out. dunno, i think it's kinda harsh to put the r&d cost in it as well, it offset things so badly
Old 03-29-05, 05:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Toyota officials said they are "breaking even " even at this early stage of development in THIS ARTICLE , but if they factor in R & D costs, I think it's unlikely.
Old 03-29-05, 05:09 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Losing money on the Prius is old news. They're now making money on it because of the much increased volume.

I can't find the article/PR right now but I know Toyota has previously announced that they've broken even on their hybrid investments in the midyear of 2004. From then and on it's all pure profit for them, even more so after several car makers started paying Toyota for licensing the technology.
Old 03-29-05, 09:18 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well...they started the GS advertsing on TV at the beginning of March, so the RX ads won't start until mid-April, but the magazine ads will start this month or early next month.
Old 03-29-05, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Toyota officials said they are "breaking even " even at this early stage of development in THIS ARTICLE , but if they factor in R & D costs, I think it's unlikely.
yeah, i forgot about the r&d cost. if you throw that in as well, i don't see how toyota didn't lost money
Old 03-29-05, 11:45 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever happened to that one hybrid commercial that focused on the letter "h"? It was all white with no voice, just text. I really liked it and was hoping to see it on TV eventuall but never did...

James