Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Time for a new bike....(Going Old School)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 12:30 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new bike....(Going "Old School")

so I've had my Harley brand new since 1998 and I am looking for a change. After buying every piece of chrome I could find for my bike, I feel I am being pulled in the opposite direction. Probably going to sell the Harley and go from this:

to this (not this exact bike, mine will be new with different pipes, etc.):

Opinions????

The new bike will have a bigger motor (100 c.i. Indian ), Jesse James fender and tank, Paul Yaffe bars, open primary drive, springer front end(as you can see)electric and kick start. It will be done by a local builder who is still getting his manufacturer's license and coming up in the custom bike scene.

Last edited by ebruce2; 03-30-05 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 12:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont know anything about bikes however, I really like your current bike. Thats a damn nice Harley.

But if your bored of it, why hold on to it. Thats the way I look at it(except is theres financial or other reasons).
Old 03-31-05, 11:35 AM
ChallenSup
Driver

Im REALLY diggin the second bike, I love oldschool. Flat Black kicks ****!
Old 04-01-05, 08:16 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Like all the other reality shows, the current "custom bike" shows are fads ready to be quickly forgotten. Unless you have a lot of $$$ to sink into a show piece, you'll look just as cool on your current bike - it's plenty "old school" regardless of what year it actually is.

Why don't you see a real performance engine in one of those show bikes? They always use the same lame 2 cyl 100yr old design. How about sticking an R1 engine in one of those bikes?
Old 04-01-05, 08:47 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by biker
Like all the other reality shows, the current "custom bike" shows are fads ready to be quickly forgotten. Unless you have a lot of $$$ to sink into a show piece, you'll look just as cool on your current bike - it's plenty "old school" regardless of what year it actually is.

Why don't you see a real performance engine in one of those show bikes? They always use the same lame 2 cyl 100yr old design. How about sticking an R1 engine in one of those bikes?
I have to admit, I'm pretty sick of the shows on TV too, but I have been riding for 10 years or so before all that manufactured TV crap was out. To me, it's not about looking cool, but just having a bike that I love, for ME. Know what I mean?

I'm not sure if you know about S&S motors, but they actually ARE performance motors. Granted, they are an old design, but I look at it like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

A buddy of mine has a Bourget with a 113" S&S motor. He runs with R1's and the like all the time. These dudes are real shocked when they try to pull away from him on the highway only to find out that they can't. And the best part is they are making motors that are up in the 141" range.
Old 04-01-05, 02:24 PM
biker
Lead Lap

But at the first corner..... bye bye R1.

I totaly agree about riding what pleases you - hence my bike. A stealthy, rare 12s 1/4m bike that handles great.
Old 04-01-05, 02:40 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you dont mind me asking, what is the cost of this chopper?
Old 04-01-05, 09:14 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

But at the first corner..... bye bye R1.
Very true. V-Twins are not made to corner at all. Advantage R1!

Post pics of your bike on this thread, love to see it.

if you dont mind me asking, what is the cost of this chopper?
Depending on the brands of parts and variations used to design the bike, it can fall in between the $15,000.00-$18,000.00 range. Again, the bike pictured here is just a shop bike that doesn't have all the little details finished to my specs. This bike is a LOT of bang for the buck. If this guys business takes off, this bike will more than likely sell for twice that amount. Here are a couple more shots:

Old 04-01-05, 09:36 PM
kirby122
Pole Position

them red tires definitely stand out... and great pinstriping... that's what you call it right?
Old 04-02-05, 04:40 AM
biker
Lead Lap

My favorite spot overlooking Lake Geneva.