Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese beat Europeans in thier own game!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 09:21 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Japanese beat Europeans in thier own game!!

Mods, pls move if i posted in the wrong forum....

but check out this interesting article.....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/55..._the_pack.html
Old 03-30-05, 09:51 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, I'd really hate to think that the Europeans just figured this out. This has been common knowledge in the US for decades now. I'm not surprised that French cars came in last. Back 15 or 20 years ago when Peugots were actually being sold in the US, they hit rock bottom in consumer report's reliability surveys also. Below even GM cars of the time, which were truly dismal. I think the only company that was worse was Yugo.
Old 03-31-05, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Fiat was also worse.....and they pulled out of the U.S. market about the same time that Peugeot did.
You mention Yugo. The Yugos sold in the American market were actually Fiat designs built in Yugoslavia under license....until the Serbs attacked the factory during the war and put it out of comimssion. Yugos were marketed here, I believe, by the same guy that designed the Bricklin sports car.

Europeans are not dumb. They know that many Japanese-nameplate cars (not all) are more reliable than the ones designed in their own countries, but their own governments are often their worst enemy. European governments, in order to safeguard their own domestic auto industries and guarantee them sales, practice rampant protectionism with quotas, taxes, tariffs, etc....on Japanese, Korean, and American vehicles.
If given a choice, Europeans would probably drive many more Japanese-designed cars then they do now, but instead they drive millions of POS Renaults, Fiats, and VW's because their governments often give them little choice. So, with the market in European countries handed to them on a silver platter, what incentive do European firms have to build a better product?

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-05 at 05:26 AM.