Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shot: Mercedes R55 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 08:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Spy Shot: Mercedes R55 AMG

Mercedes is already testing the ulta high-performance AMG version of its R-Class, the production version of which was unveiled at the New York motor show just last month. Based on the underpinnings of the latest generation M-class sport utility vehicle, the regular R-Class comes with permanent four wheel drive and, as standard, a seven-speed automatic gearbox with column-mounted shift - features that the hot AMG version is likely to retain.

It's rumoured that like the current S-Class, which comes in S55 and S65 AMG forms, the R-Class, actually longer than an S in length, will also get two AMG derivatives. First, pictured here, is the R55 with the familiar 476bhp, 5.5-litre supercharged V8 as used in several other Mercedes AMG models. Second would be a new 6.3-litre V8, reportedly under development for use in the next-generation S-Class, developing closer to 600bhp and dubbed R63 AMG.

The R-Class is set for launch in autumn 2005, with right-hand-drive models following early 2006. We'd expect R55 AMG versions in both left- and right-hand-drive to become available during spring 2006, and the 6.3-litre versions sometime afterwards.

source : channel4.com/4car
Old 04-06-05, 08:44 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Beautiful engines , however still not liking the Minivan look, plus the fact that the base model is going to priced around 50K. Not a good look for me. I'll pass.
Old 04-06-05, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
: , however still not liking the Minivan look, plus the fact that the base model is going to priced around 50K. Not a good look for me. I'll pass.
I'm not a big fan of this type of look either, but it must be considered how popular this type of vehicle is today...part minivan, part wagon,and part SUV. These vehicles sell, they make money for their parent companies, and in today's dog-eat-dog auto market that is the name of the game.

Take Porsche, for instance. 5-7 years ago the Boxster was clearly their largest money-maker and their bread-and-butter vehicle. Now it is the Cayenne.
Old 04-06-05, 12:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not a big fan of this type of look either, but it must be considered how popular this type of vehicle is today...part minivan, part wagon,and part SUV. These vehicles sell, they make money for their parent companies, and in today's dog-eat-dog auto market that is the name of the game.

Take Porsche, for instance. 5-7 years ago the Boxster was clearly their largest money-maker and their bread-and-butter vehicle. Now it is the Cayenne.
Oh definitely Marshall. What was the first type of part minivan, part wagon, part everything that came to the US?? The PT Cruiser maybe?? That car and cars like it paved the way for more crossovers like this to come. It changed the game of vehicles as we see today.

I like the idea that MB wanted to add another vehicle and one that is increasingly becoming popular, but to me the execution is all wrong. The styling(subjective) is not there. And I'm not really sure that the market is ready for a luxury Pacifica(??) thats going to start at about 50K with probably an average walk out around 60K. How many do they plan on selling a year?? I however really do like the looks of the B-class(I think thats what its called??). The Luxury Toyota Matrix. I think that looks pretty cool. Hopefully that model wont be overly expensive.

But hey, what do I know. Its MB. They got such a loyal fan base that customers will buy anything that has the pointed star on the hood. Who knows, they might have something great here. They might start an entirely new class of cars(like with the CLS, which I dont agree with, but thats a totally different subject).

Last edited by magneto112; 04-06-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 03:11 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I keep getting this R model mixed with the GST.
Does anyone know how well the ML55 did? Ever since it came out, I've seen like 4 of them and 2 posers.
Old 04-06-05, 03:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I keep getting this R model mixed with the GST.
The R class is the GST (Grand Sports Tourer )
Old 04-06-05, 05:16 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is that true? I haven't followed it closely, but I thought the conventional wisdom was that Porsche used up it's pent-up demand of brand-loyal enthusiasts who wanted an SUV that stayed in the family, and that Cayenne sales have been dismal for at least a year or two. Even here in snowy, icy, rainy Virginia I see a heck of a lot more Boxsters than Cayennes.
Old 04-06-05, 08:36 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great all we need...soccer moms and dads with anger management issues driivng behind 400hps minivans