Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying a Lexus vs. buying a Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 01:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FlintRX
What a difference! When I bought my RX, it was as simple as e-mailing the Internet Sales Dept, getting a quote via e-mail, and then going and picking up the car from the dealer that offered the best price. I'm currently in the market for a new truck, and I've e-mailed every Toyota dealer in Southern California for a quote on a new Tacoma, and I can't get anywhere with these people. So far I've been able to get 1 quote in writing, and the rest have been quotes on options I didn't ask for, unhelpful responses (we don't have that truck in stock), price dodging (call for our best price), and general stupidity. I realize the internet has helped buyers become more educated on vehicle pricing, and that doesn't work to the dealerships favor, but car makers need to get on the ball and realize that the internet is another means to sell cars. Lexus already knows this, so what's Toyota's problem?

I'm probably just going to buy a Nissan Frontier instead.

Rant over....
Your in CA, there are tons of dealers, try another one that is worth your time and business.

Old 04-08-05, 04:29 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

In Australia it doesn't seem so bad if you're looking to buy a car (hell, everyone will try to sell you a car), they only treat you like the scum of the earth if you drive a car they didn't officially import into the country (ie. Soarers, Supras, Skylines etc).

Those are nice looking trucks... you guys are lucky to get two Toyota trucks, we only get the HiLux here.

Old 04-08-05, 05:03 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota dealers suck, if you have dealt with Lexus your stepping down when it comes to the new car sales and their crap to sell you a vehicle, and you will feel and notice a difference, Tacomas are their newest vehicle to hit the showrooms so it needs a period of time to cool off before the salesmonkeys will give you a reasonable price on 1.

My friend just got a Tacoma, special order and he waited 6 months, 6 months later never got the truck, phone call to another dealer and he picked the exact truck up the same day for the price he wanted, some are good others suck.

Like I said Toyota Dealers suck, I found 1 that has a good service area but the others suck, Lexus is all around nice, overpriced maintenance and Nissan will beat any Tacoma price and their service is way better then Toyota from what I found.

Now if you want a Tacoma, look at their online inventory and configure a truck with options they don't have, it has worked for me everytime where they come back and offer me a truck with more options if I take 1 on the lot or do the here is the truck I want and the price I want, call me when you have it and can deal, eventually when sales slow down they call and have your truck, also keep in mind that most dealers order the most popular option packages, what you want may not be what they normally sell to their average customers
Old 04-08-05, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Tacomas are their newest vehicle to hit the showrooms so it needs a period of time to cool off before the salesmonkeys will give you a reasonable price on 1.
There is no reason why any vehicle should command a markup just because it is new and for no other reason...that is nonsense. But....... if it is new AND in high demand AND in short supply as well....as some new vehicles are....that is another matter. We're seeing this with the new Prius...as we did with the Mini Cooper, T-Bird, PT Cruiser, and VW Beetle, because those cars were all in very high demand and short supply when new. But some other new vehicles, like the GTO, G6, Aztek, VW Phaeton, and Lincoln Blackwood just sat around on the lot and collected dust and bird droppings.
Old 04-08-05, 05:41 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is no reason why any vehicle should command a markup just because it is new and for no other reason...that is nonsense. But....... if it is new AND in high demand AND in short supply as well....as some new vehicles are....that is another matter.
Very very true

It was like the $20K mark up on the Impreza WRX STi V (approx. $60K~) when it arrived here in Australia... they only brought in 400 into the country and they were all spoken for.