Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying a Lexus vs. buying a Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 03:07 PM
FlintRX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Buying a Lexus vs. buying a Toyota

What a difference! When I bought my RX, it was as simple as e-mailing the Internet Sales Dept, getting a quote via e-mail, and then going and picking up the car from the dealer that offered the best price. I'm currently in the market for a new truck, and I've e-mailed every Toyota dealer in Southern California for a quote on a new Tacoma, and I can't get anywhere with these people. So far I've been able to get 1 quote in writing, and the rest have been quotes on options I didn't ask for, unhelpful responses (we don't have that truck in stock), price dodging (call for our best price), and general stupidity. I realize the internet has helped buyers become more educated on vehicle pricing, and that doesn't work to the dealerships favor, but car makers need to get on the ball and realize that the internet is another means to sell cars. Lexus already knows this, so what's Toyota's problem?

I'm probably just going to buy a Nissan Frontier instead.

Rant over....
Old 04-07-05, 03:10 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Please don't let your bad experience deter you from getting a Toyota. Longo has the #1 Toyota store in the world. Call or email me your preference and I can refer you someone incredible next door. They would be happy to earn your business.
Old 04-07-05, 03:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by FlintRX

Rant over....
You're gonna step down to buy the 2nd best Japanese pickup truck? oh no. Elizabeth is right though, give them a try or better yet give them a call. If all else, PM her and she'll direct you to the right person.
Old 04-07-05, 04:12 PM
FlintRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
Please don't let your bad experience deter you from getting a Toyota. Longo has the #1 Toyota store in the world. Call or email me your preference and I can refer you someone incredible next door. They would be happy to earn your business.
Thanks for the reply, but I've e-mail two different people at Longo and never got a response. I'll PM you with the info, but I'm not holding my breath......
Old 04-07-05, 04:15 PM
FlintRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
You're gonna step down to buy the 2nd best Japanese pickup truck? oh no. Elizabeth is right though, give them a try or better yet give them a call. If all else, PM her and she'll direct you to the right person.
From my experience driving both trucks, I'd say the Toyota has some work to do if they want to stay the #1 Japanese truck. The new Frontier is a complete change from previous generations, and aside from a bland interior, equals or beats the Tacoma in most areas.

Besides, what good is a Tacoma if no one wants to sell me one?
Old 04-07-05, 04:19 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

What a difference! When I bought my RX, it was as simple as e-mailing the Internet Sales Dept, getting a quote via e-mail, and then going and picking up the car from the dealer that offered the best price. I'm currently in the market for a new truck, and I've e-mailed every Toyota dealer in Southern California for a quote on a new Tacoma, and I can't get anywhere with these people. So far I've been able to get 1 quote in writing, and the rest have been quotes on options I didn't ask for, unhelpful responses (we don't have that truck in stock), price dodging (call for our best price), and general stupidity. I realize the internet has helped buyers become more educated on vehicle pricing, and that doesn't work to the dealerships favor, but car makers need to get on the ball and realize that the internet is another means to sell cars. Lexus already knows this, so what's Toyota's problem?

Rant over....
The Nissan Frontier is an awesome truck.. good choice!!
Old 04-07-05, 04:25 PM
xioix
Racer

From my experience driving both trucks, I'd say the Toyota has some work to do if they want to stay the #1 Japanese truck. The new Frontier is a complete change from previous generations, and aside from a bland interior, equals or beats the Tacoma in most areas.

Besides, what good is a Tacoma if no one wants to sell me one?
maybe the dealers dont have the one you want with the options
Old 04-07-05, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for the reply, but I've e-mail two different people at Longo and never got a response. I'll PM you with the info, but I'm not holding my breath......
hahhaa, trust me, elizabeth will never ever let you down
Old 04-08-05, 12:39 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Tacomas are popular!?! Good luck; hope you don't have to wait for a special order...
Old 04-08-05, 04:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily call it second-best....depends on where it is made. Nissan products from the Smyrna, TN plant have been reasonably well-made despite the cheap interiors. The ones from the newer Canton, MS plant have been a diasater.
Old 04-08-05, 07:44 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by xioix
maybe the dealers dont have the one you want with the options
Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
Tacomas are popular!?! Good luck; hope you don't have to wait for a special order...
This is partially true. I wouldn't necessarily say that Tacomas are popular, because I don't see many '05s on the road. The truck I'm looking for isn't anything special and doesn't have any odd options, yet when I search through dealer inventories, there aren't many around (but they are out there!). I'd be ok with ordering one, if a dealer would offer to do that and still give me a good price. But since no one has even offered to look for one, or order one, I have to assume that most Toyota dealer sales reps are lazy and don't give a **** about customer service.

I wish Lexus sold trucks.
Old 04-08-05, 09:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Angry

That maybe true, but if the Frontier was such a great truck, why did they copy Toyota blatantly with a "Nismo Off Road" Package w/Bilstein shocks and beefed up suspension? Sounds all too familiar. Plus since both the new Taco and the new Frontier came out all new for 2005, the Taco has been able to garner some awards including MT Truck of the Year. I have yet to see a Nissan Frontier ever take that position away. I've driven pretty much most of the V6 configurations of the new Tacoma including the double cab long bed, pre runner and x-runner, they all are great trucks. I've even had an opportunity to drive the new Tacoma in mud through a short test course w/a Tacoma X-Tra Cab 4x4 V6 and also got to meet Ivan "Ironman" Stewart in the process. I've only had a chance to test a Nismo Off Road package Frontier. To be quite honest, it falls short to the Tacoma in parts quality, ergonomics and ride quality. The only plus is the powerful V6, nothing else.

You shouldn't let e-mails from an Internet department slow you down. There are faster ways of getting a better price. It's called fleet sales. Call for that specific department and they'll talk to you. If you're an AutoClub member, you can use Vehicle Services to help obtain a new Toyota. ACSC members can get special AAA pricing through their corporate partnership w/Penske Automotive Group which includes Longo Toyota & Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita.

I never waste my time using an "Internet Department" to buy or shop for a vehicle. I did that with one Lexus dealer which I will not name...but happens to be in the area I live in the Inland Empire. it took them 2 whole weeks before they replied to my request. By then I already was in my Longo Lexus purchased IS300 for a little less than 2 weeks through our own Club Lexus Liason, Elizabeth. I'm not saying all Internet Sales Departments are bad, but don't hold your breathe if you're looking to buy now and you're frantically waiting for their response.

Last edited by flipside909; 04-08-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-08-05, 09:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
They are popular here in California. I see alot more Double Cab Long & Short Beds more than anything else. Can't say the same for Hawaii considering Tacomas are made here in California, at the Nummi plant in Fremont to be exact.
Old 04-08-05, 10:54 AM
FlintRX
Rookie

That maybe true, but if the Frontier was such a great truck, why did they copy Toyota blatantly with a "Nismo Off Road" Package w/Bilstein shocks and beefed up suspension? Sounds all too familiar. Plus since both the new Taco and the new Frontier came out all new for 2005, the Taco has been able to garner some awards including MT Truck of the Year. I have yet to see a Nissan Frontier ever take that position away. I've driven pretty much most of the V6 configurations of the new Tacoma including the double cab long bed, pre runner and x-runner, they all are great trucks. I've even had an opportunity to drive the new Tacoma in mud through a short test course w/a Tacoma X-Tra Cab 4x4 V6 and also got to meet Ivan "Ironman" Stewart in the process. I've only had a chance to test a Nismo Off Road package Frontier. To be quite honest, it falls short to the Tacoma in parts quality, ergonomics and ride quality. The only plus is the powerful V6, nothing else.

You shouldn't let e-mails from an Internet department slow you down. There are faster ways of getting a better price. It's called fleet sales. Call for that specific department and they'll talk to you. If you're an AutoClub member, you can use Vehicle Services to help obtain a new Toyota. ACSC members can get special AAA pricing through their corporate partnership w/Penske Automotive Group which includes Longo Toyota & Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita.

I never waste my time using an "Internet Department" to buy or shop for a vehicle. I did that with one Lexus dealer which I will not name...but happens to be in the area I live in the Inland Empire. it took them 2 whole weeks before they replied to my request. By then I already was in my Longo Lexus purchased IS300 for a little less than 2 weeks through our own Club Lexus Liason, Elizabeth. I'm not saying all Internet Sales Departments are bad, but don't hold your breathe if you're looking to buy now and you're frantically waiting for their response.
There's a possibility Nissan borrowed the idea of a branded off-road package from Toyota, but Nissan's performance division (NISMO) has been around for quite some time - mostly in on-road racing development. I don't agree with your opinions on the Tacoma vs the Frontier, and ergonomics mean nothing when you're 6'4" 240lbs - if I fit in it, it's ergonomic enough.

I'm not debating Nissan vs Toyota, both the Tacoma and Frontier are great trucks, but if no one wants to deal on a Tacoma, I know Nissan dealers will on a Frontier.

While I agree with some of what you are saying, the question I have is WTF is the use of having an internet sales department if no one at Toyota takes it seriously? By the way, all Toyota "internet sales" inquiries go right to the Fleet Dept, so I already am dealing with Fleet Sales.
Old 04-08-05, 12:58 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

But since no one has even offered to look for one, or order one, I have to assume that most Toyota dealer sales reps are lazy and don't give a **** about customer service.
This totally depends on the dealership. I think we've got it pretty bad here on Maui, the one and only Toyota dealership on the island: Tons of salespeople who are 100% unfriendly & unhelpful. So, we went to Honolulu to look for a Tacoma. Wow, what a night & day difference!?! I was floored. Conclusion was that Tacoma's were all sold out, special orders only, 4 month wait. My friend's lease expired on a '02 Accord coupe and mileage was very over. Couldn't wait for a special order, so second choice was re-leasing w/ Honda; '05 Pilot EX leased.

Quick Reply: Buying a Lexus vs. buying a Toyota