Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove a friend's Porsche today :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default Drove a friend's Porsche today :)

My neighbor has an '02 Carrera convertible (6 speed) and brought it over to my house to let me have a drive! My memories of driving a Porsche a long time ago were VERY positive so I was hoping not to be disappointed and I wasn't at all. It was GREAT GREAT GREAT to drive. Comfortable, FAST, unbelievable sound of the engine, no wind buffeting at all for a convetible (really amazing) especially if you put the side windows up. Took it to 100 without even realizing it. My friend encouraged me to go to 7K in each gear! By 4th I think you're at a 100, so 5 and 6 are good for cruising.

Anyway, enough words, here's a couple of pictures. Note the subtle color.
Attached Thumbnails Drove a friend's Porsche today :)-img_2060-2.jpg  
Old 04-09-05, 06:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

One more...
Attached Thumbnails Drove a friend's Porsche today :)-img_2061-2.jpg  
Old 04-09-05, 06:53 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its fun stuff, it was hard for me to get use to the clutch on thoes because it was so freakin touchy. but the gears in thoes cars are crazy,
Old 04-09-05, 07:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Beautiful. If the Boxster had the same rear end, well.......... it wouldn't be a boxster, but that's besdie the point, if the boxster had the same rear i'd be all over one. I'm in limbo right now as to whether or not to get one.

I'm not too keen on yellow auto's. I had a Yellow Porsche back in the day, but now i would definately not buy one personally. Still, i bet that was an awsome ride!
Old 04-09-05, 07:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Beautiful. If the Boxster had the same rear end, well.......... it wouldn't be a boxster, but that's besdie the point, if the boxster had the same rear i'd be all over one. I'm in limbo right now as to whether or not to get one.
Well if this doesn't make ya want one, then nothing will. Click on Boxster Sprint after the intro!!!!!! Check out the driving from different angles, this is an AMAZING demonstration.
Old 04-09-05, 07:49 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride. I'm sure a YELLOW Porsche convertible is VERY subtle driving down the highway
Old 04-09-05, 07:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well if this doesn't make ya want one, then nothing will. Click on Boxster Sprint after the intro!!!!!! Check out the driving from different angles, this is an AMAZING demonstration.
That is EXACTLY what i did to the Boxster in my thread below this one That is a very accurate video
Old 04-09-05, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Drooooool. Damn good thread, Porsche, there is no substitute? Wait, what forum am I on?

Paul can you compare some to your level 10 modded GS? If there is a comparison you can make?

Old 04-09-05, 09:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Paul can you compare some to your level 10 modded GS? If there is a comparison you can make?
Yup! The car handles very flat and predictable in normal driving. I did take though a sweeping curve at about 70 I'd say and there was a slight bit more roll and a bit more float believe it or not than I was expecting. That may also be due to my not steering 'evenly' through the curve. Don't get me wrong the car handles AWESOME and I'm sure with more practice I'd gain a lot more confidence, and maybe I had no business at all taking that curve at that speed and the car was just saying "WTF?" but it did get slightly unsettled. Without a back to back drive in my GS it's hard to say but my impression is that my GS really is incredible at this point (even if I say so myself) particularly given its size and weight. Those coilovers, racing sways and all the rest REALLY WORK.

Now his Porsche was basically a 'vanilla' Carrera and the convertible makes the *** end even heavier than usual so maybe that accounts for it a bit too. To me the ride on this Porsche was COMFORTABLE. No bone jarring ride like some probably expect. I expect a Boxster S would be a stiffer ride plus the lighter weight will make it 'jiggle' a bit more.

Now a newer 997 has the adaptive and adjustable suspension, so that's a whole different ballgame too. Hameed described the 997 S adaptive suspension as similar in feel to our Tein Flex coilovers which doesn't surprise me.

Also, on pure grunt, my GS has more low end with the V8, high stall TC and lowered Supra diff gearing, but once you get to 3K (trivial) on the Porsche, it's got VERY long legs and strong pull to 7K in EVERY GEAR. Even in 6th it still pulls fine from cruising speed (say 70). A 911 Turbo must be just insane. I really would not want to be on public roads in something that fast.

The overall driving experience in a Porsche though really does have NO SUBSTITUTE.
Old 04-09-05, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

By the way in that first pic I posted you can see my driveway off to the right is a pretty nice race track too LOL.
Old 04-09-05, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Yup! The car handles very flat and predictable in normal driving. I did take though a sweeping curve at about 70 I'd say and there was a slight bit more roll and a bit more float believe it or not than I was expecting. That may also be due to my not steering 'evenly' through the curve. Don't get me wrong the car handles AWESOME and I'm sure with more practice I'd gain a lot more confidence, and maybe I had no business at all taking that curve at that speed and the car was just saying "WTF?" but it did get slightly unsettled. Without a back to back drive in my GS it's hard to say but my impression is that my GS really is incredible at this point (even if I say so myself) particularly given its size and weight. Those coilovers, racing sways and all the rest REALLY WORK.

Now his Porsche was basically a 'vanilla' Carrera and the convertible makes the *** end even heavier than usual so maybe that accounts for it a bit too. To me the ride on this Porsche was COMFORTABLE. No bone jarring ride like some probably expect. I expect a Boxster S would be a stiffer ride plus the lighter weight will make it 'jiggle' a bit more.

Now a newer 997 has the adaptive and adjustable suspension, so that's a whole different ballgame too. Hameed described the 997 S adaptive suspension as similar in feel to our Tein Flex coilovers which doesn't surprise me.

Also, on pure grunt, my GS has more low end with the V8, high stall TC and lowered Supra diff gearing, but once you get to 3K (trivial) on the Porsche, it's got VERY long legs and strong pull to 7K in EVERY GEAR. Even in 6th it still pulls fine from cruising speed (say 70). A 911 Turbo must be just insane. I really would not want to be on public roads in something that fast.

The overall driving experience in a Porsche though really does have NO SUBSTITUTE.

Damn, I felt I was there. I can see the grin. Damn, glad to hear your feel all those mods and $$$ spent on the GS really is worth it.

Now I will be reading my Porsche mags tonight? What about room, not just when sitting parked, but when driving? Roomy enough?

Old 04-09-05, 09:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

A 911 Turbo must be just insane. I really would not want to be on public roads in something that fast.

I have wanted to take that ride myself, because my 951 turbo was VERY hard to hold onto. It spooled out so fast and with so much authority that i kept thinking "man the flat 6 must KILL with this setup".
Old 04-10-05, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Damn, I felt I was there. I can see the grin. Damn, glad to hear your feel all those mods and $$$ spent on the GS really is worth it.

Now I will be reading my Porsche mags tonight? What about room, not just when sitting parked, but when driving? Roomy enough?
I could maybe have used another inch of backward seat travel mainly to get my arms a bit straighter, but it was plenty roomy enough for my legs, so it should be OK for you. And this is a 996 I guess. Maybe the 997 has even more room?
Old 04-10-05, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I have wanted to take that ride myself, because my 951 turbo was VERY hard to hold onto. It spooled out so fast and with so much authority that i kept thinking "man the flat 6 must KILL with this setup".
I've been in a 944/951 turbo (as passenger) and I know they were smokin' fast and yours was modded of course. So yes, that's why I agree the 911 Turbo must be nuts. You'd be at 100 from every stop light!

Fortunately the BRAKES on the 911 are also OUTSTANDING!
Old 04-10-05, 12:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nice car. yellow isn't my best pic, but the 911 just looks so damn nice. can you describe more about the "comfortable" side? to me the seats are very comfortable in a sense that it wraps around you, but on the drive i think it's definitely on the stiff side?

but i think it's pretty "useless" to say that the car is a blast to drive, everyone knows that already

Quick Reply: Drove a friend's Porsche today :)