Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM Adding GM Badge to Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 08:27 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS4
so 2006 Saabaru 9-2x is going to have a GM badge treatment as well?

Oh now thats just beat. I would HATE to own a new Saab now. So horrible. Nothing against GM, but some of there brands shouldnt have GM on it. It might tarnish some of there brands considering that most dont even know that SAAB is owned by GM.
Old 04-15-05, 08:43 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The Swift I posted was for the Canadian market. Suzuki in other markets has a different Swift, which is quite possibly their own design. Here is the Australian-market Swift:

Seems for North America Suzuki doesn't make much of it's own cars. It's a shame, the original Suzuki-made Swift is a great car. I knew when I sat in the Aveo that is was not that great which I found surprising assuming I thought it was a Swift. So that explains it. It's a Daewoo.
Old 04-15-05, 09:01 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was? I suddenly feel like I know nothing about automotive history. I know it was on the seat belt buckles...

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The GM logo was on exteriors of many of the company's vehicles in the 1960s and '70s.

And who the hell doesn't know Cadillac and Chevy are GM? Hummer I guess I can see people not knowing.
Old 04-16-05, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
So then is Suzuki selling their Swift as a Daewoo-made product? Because their Swift looks damn much like the Aveo.

THIS particular Swift pictured here is DEFINITELY a Daewoo product. It is the same car as the Chevolet Aveo (Daewoo Lanos)
Old 04-16-05, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleanSC
The Swift I posted was for the Canadian market. Suzuki in other markets has a different Swift, which is quite possibly their own design. Here is the Australian-market Swift:

Seems for North America Suzuki doesn't make much of it's own cars. It's a shame, the original Suzuki-made Swift is a great car. I knew when I sat in the Aveo that is was not that great which I found surprising assuming I thought it was a Swift. So that explains it. It's a Daewoo.
Yes....the Canadian-market Swift is DEFINITELY a Daewoo Lanos...no question about that.
There is no Swift at all in the U.S.

Now...THIS Swift that you posted for the Australian market....this is interesting. It may or may not be Daewoo-based...my rough guess is yes. It looks like about the same car from the A-pillars rearward, but the front end and headlights are quite different from the Canadian-market Swift. It looks somewhat like what Saab has done with the 9-2X.....a Subaru Impreza from the A-pillars back and a Saab front end.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-05 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-16-05, 08:01 AM
L-Finesser
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just when you thought GM couldn't get any dumber. These guys need to focus more on reducing their legacy costs and building great product and less time on adding time, cost and stupidity to their vehicles. Adding a badge sounds small, but it takes time and money. And it's stoooooooooopid. I want a SAAB. Not a GM.

I'm embarrassed as an American for this American company.
Old 04-16-05, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by L-Finesser
Just when you thought GM couldn't get any dumber. These guys need to focus more on reducing their legacy costs and building great product and less time on adding time, cost and stupidity to their vehicles.
You fail to see GM's objective here. What better way to improve "image" cheaply and cut costs by doing it with a ten-cent piece of plastic stuck on each hood? That will really convince the public now, wont it? After all, Lee Iacocca did the same thing at Chrysler 25 years ago.....put the Chrysler pentastar on each car.............and got millions of gullible people to believe it. When most of those cars were ready to be junked just a few years later, ( believe me, they were awful ) he was retired and laughing all the way to the bank.