Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Woman hits husband, salesman on test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 10:24 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

As a general rule, I never get anywhere near someone 80+ that's driving wearing a hat! Especially a checkered hat with ear flaps!.........in August! The other is I never get anywhere near someone who's head you can see in the car at all.........all you see is knuckles......then I pull over & take public transportation myself.
Old 04-16-05, 10:32 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I don't know what is more dangerous behind the wheel.....old senile people who no longer know what they are doing or gung-ho teenagers drinking and drag-racing. They both can do a lot of damage.
No need for one answer mmarshall. They're BOTH horrible drivers. Driving is more about being defensive now. I'm more on the lookout for idiots out there, dodging and swerving.
If I weren't so alert, I would've been in a lot of more accidents caused by stupid people who are careless, wreckless, and impatient.
Excuse me for being discriminating for a bit, but when I see minivans, big buicks, caddys, oldsmobile, I stay awaaaaay 8/10 I'm correct about their driving habit.
....and like lexusfreak said about just seeing the knuckles only
Old 04-16-05, 10:57 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....504150440/1075

I found this article, I think the last line is funny

The couple will have to return to the dealership. Their trade-in, a Chevrolet, is still there.
Old 04-18-05, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....504150440/1075

I found this article, I think the last line is funny
HAHHAA, i would think the dealership will pay them money to beg them NOT to come back
Old 04-18-05, 03:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Excuse me for being discriminating for a bit, but when I see minivans, big buicks, caddys, oldsmobile, I stay awaaaaay :
This is a stereotype, GS, and an often inaccurate one. Big American luxury cars do not necessarily mean old senile people behind the wheel. (Among other cars) I owned two of them in my late teens and early 20's....along with a much sportier Plymouth Barracuda.
Old 04-18-05, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

This is a stereotype, GS, and an often inaccurate one. Big American luxury cars do not necessarily mean old senile people behind the wheel. (Among other cars) I owned two of them in my late teens and early 20's....along with a much sportier Plymouth Barracuda.
that's true, but in general i do see more stupid people in van and suv than other cars though. and i hate to say, but more often female drivers they don't know what they are doing -- my wife says the same too
Old 04-18-05, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
that's true, but in general i do see more stupid people in van and suv than other cars though. and i hate to say, but more often female drivers they don't know what they are doing -- my wife says the same too
People with regular minivans, though, often tend to have kids and therefore don't do stupid and reckless things....one reason why insurance is so low for most minivans.

I know I may be partially breaking my own rule about sterotypes here, but in general if I had to pick one group of drivers IN GENERAL (not specific individuals) as THE worst, it would have to be Mustang V8 GT / Cobra guys. Nobody else even comes CLOSE. There is something about a Mustang....even more so than rival F-Bodies, Corvettes / Vipers, or any other muscle car, that just makes a lot of people do insane things with them. I base this not only on what I read (and local accident statistics) but what I actually see all the time with my own eyes.
Old 04-18-05, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

People with regular minivans, though, often tend to have kids and therefore don't do stupid and reckless things....one reason why insurance is so low for most minivans.

I know I may be partially breaking my own rule about sterotypes here, but in general if I had to pick one group of drivers IN GENERAL (not specific individuals) as THE worst, it would have to be Mustang V8 GT / Cobra guys. Nobody else even comes CLOSE. There is something about a Mustang....even more so than rival F-Bodies, Corvettes / Vipers, or any other muscle car, that just makes a lot of people do insane things with them. I base this not only on what I read (and local accident statistics) but what I actually see all the time with my own eyes.
defnitely not the ones i see. the problem is they are not trying to be reckless or so, they just don't know what the hell they are doing with those big *** cars... they don't see the lane, they don't know where they are going, they can't see corners, etc...

and yes, i see those "baby onboard" sign and i do see child seat when passing them -- scary
Old 04-18-05, 01:31 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is F - - -ing NONSENSE. I'd like to know who the hell wrote this story.

Since WHEN is a car's direction of movement determined by what pedal a person steps on? There is only ONE thing that will make a vehicle accelerate in reverse (assuming it is not coasting down a hill in neutral backwards). The transmission HAS to be in reverse gearing.....either intentionally, inadvertantly, or through a defective shift gate or linkage.
With a properly working transmission....( and you can bet the monthly rent that a brand-new Honda right out of the factory is NOT going to have a defective transmission )...there is NO WAY that pressing on the "wrong pedal" is going to make a car do that.

.......I have seen a LOT of automotive nonsense get printed in my days, but THIS one takes the cake.
You'd be amazed at what women can do when they are in that state of mind. Just yesterday, I was hanging out with the guys at a popular hangout spot. We were kickin it with a couple of hoes the guys use to passed around. We had 4 cars park next to each other. NSX, Mr2 turbo, 350Z, and 3000gt. My NSX friend made the mistake of trying to show off by blasting his newly installed aftermarket system. Since he didn't upgrade the battery and was worried the car might ran out of juice, he left the car running. Bad mistake, one of the girl jumped in the NSX while we weren't watching and drove off. OH ***** everyone yelled, but luckily she couldn't drive stick too well so the car stalled, she restarted the car and next thing you know she's going in reverse fast. None of us could believe she could get the car in reverse that quickly. I'd have to be super ready to even shift into reverse that fast. She barely missed the mr2 by a couple of inches as she tries to back into the NSX's original spot. Everybody just about ***** in their pants. She got out and wanted to test the 350Z, my friend who own the Z quickly realizes he'd also left the key in the ignition switch and ran as fast as he could to grab the key but she beat him to it. He beg and beg, so she made him get on his knee and promise to take her to the mo that night. I haven't checked on him this morning, my guess is he probably will not be hanging out with us for a while as his wife will surely have found out as he'll be coming home late and not able to perform.
Old 04-18-05, 01:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
You'd be amazed at what women can do when they are in that state of mind. Just yesterday, I was hanging out with the guys at a popular hangout spot. We were kickin it with a couple of hoes the guys use to passed around. We had 4 cars park next to each other. NSX, Mr2 turbo, 350Z, and 3000gt. My NSX friend made the mistake of trying to show off by blasting his newly installed aftermarket system. Since he didn't upgrade the battery and was worried the car might ran out of juice, he left the car running. Bad mistake, one of the girl jumped in the NSX while we weren't watching and drove off. OH ***** everyone yelled, but luckily she couldn't drive stick too well so the car stalled, she restarted the car and next thing you know she's going in reverse fast. None of us could believe she could get the car in reverse that quickly. I'd have to be super ready to even shift into reverse that fast. She barely missed the mr2 by a couple of inches as she tries to back into the NSX's original spot. Everybody just about ***** in their pants. She got out and wanted to test the 350Z, my friend who own the Z quickly realizes he'd also left the key in the ignition switch and ran as fast as he could to grab the key but she beat him to it. He beg and beg, so she made him get on his knee and promise to take her to the mo that night. I haven't checked on him this morning, my guess is he probably will not be hanging out with us for a while as his wife will surely have found out as he'll be coming home late and not able to perform.
damn.... she was on drug?!
Old 04-18-05, 03:35 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

No disrespect here, but yes mmarshall, that is stereotyping That's why it accounts for more than 51% of the time
You are an exception to this "big ol american luxury bunch", so no need to worry Besides, a barracuda is no buick regal or the roadster or 88, you get the idea.........
I don't see a flood of late teens or even 20's running out to buy the Buicks that Tiger Woods is "advertising"
I do see the kids going for the caddy devilles once in a while.

However, the next time you see these land-yachts have a jar in your car and put in $5 each time the driver is at least approaching mid-life-no offense.

The mad moms in the minivans don't pay attention to the roads b/c their kids are crying or yelling and screaming in the car.

I say the justification for the insurance being low for minivans b/c it's not meant for speed due to baby on board, but not in most cases. They're usually late to this, late to that..............

The reason why I generalize/stereotype is because often times if I don't lookout for these drivers, I could've been in many accidents caused by A LOT of these drivers, esp. here in CA,

Are we off-topic yet?
Old 04-18-05, 05:25 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Why the hell is an 88 year old still car shopping???
Old 04-18-05, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No disrespect here, but yes mmarshall, that is stereotyping That's why it accounts for more than 51% of the time
You are an exception to this "big ol american luxury bunch", so no need to worry Besides, a barracuda is no buick regal or the roadster or 88, you get the idea.........
I don't see a flood of late teens or even 20's running out to buy the Buicks that Tiger Woods is "advertising"
I do see the kids going for the caddy devilles once in a while.
Don't worry, GS. You are anything BUT disrespectful. I wish more people on CL were like you.

You're right......a lot of young people do pan Buicks but often change their minds later as backs and muscles start to age....then those soft springs start to look (and feel) a little nicer. But you can enjoy a smooth ride at any age.

Anyhow ...back to this woman and the accident. I might have gotten carried away in my first post about the pedals and how the person who wrote the article described them....but I only took him at his word. Yes...what probably happened was that she pulled the transmission lever back one notch instead of three....to reverse instead of drive......and then just backed up too fast.
Old 04-18-05, 06:22 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
Why the hell is an 88 year old still car shopping???
welcome to my world(FL) ..........88 is a youngster
Old 04-18-05, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I don't know what is more dangerous behind the wheel.....old senile people who no longer know what they are doing or gung-ho teenagers drinking and drag-racing. They both can do a lot of damage.
I agree! I believe in order to begin collecting social security or at some other age, if you want to continue driving you should have to take your test again. Twice in a lifetime isn't asking much.

Quick Reply: Woman hits husband, salesman on test drive!